The Student Room Group

Deloitte - Final Interview thread

This could be overkill when considering all the other threads as I don't know how many other applicants are nearing their final interview with Deloitte?

If there is anyone out there who would like to share how they are preparing for the interview I thought a thread to address this could be beneficial.

Again, sorry if this is overkill.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also preparing. Which service line are you going for? Also, I'm guessing for the competency q's we can't re-cycle material from the previous interview..? Thoughts on this?
Cheers
Reply 2
Audit London FS. Waiting for partner interview for a bloody week now. Really starting to piss me off! Got pres etc ready so just been keeping up with current affairs. Got CNN app for iPhone 5 which actually makes use of the 4 inch screen... Prob been messing around with my phone too much actually. But very poor show from Delottte all round.

We can use the same answers btw. Otherwise we would need 4 for each comp lol
Reply 3
Original post by matthewrgb
Also preparing. Which service line are you going for? Also, I'm guessing for the competency q's we can't re-cycle material from the previous interview..? Thoughts on this?
Cheers

Yep, definitely use the same competency questions. He or she will probably pick on the questions you did worst on in this first interview e.g. I stumbled on one of the problem-solving questions so will need two solid examples for my final interview. I've applied for risk consulting (ERS) - controls.

Original post by goku90
Audit London FS. Waiting for partner interview for a bloody week now. Really starting to piss me off! Got pres etc ready so just been keeping up with current affairs. Got CNN app for iPhone 5 which actually makes use of the 4 inch screen... Prob been messing around with my phone too much actually. But very poor show from Delottte all round.

We can use the same answers btw. Otherwise we would need 4 for each comp lol

I know the feeling...I've got another 9 days of waiting! I feel like I've nearly got all my material ready for the presentation and will be giving the interviewer one handout (obviously nothing for myself so that I do it all from memory) so he or she can follow the structure of my presentation. I'm guessing we have all been given different material for our final presentations also? Mine is concerning the fashion industry! I agree with keeping up to date with current business/economic affairs. Hopefully any questions on current business/economic affairs will be of an open ended nature such as name a business/economic related piece of news that has interested you.

I now wish my interview was at the end of the week to be honest. I can almost see the end of the road and now all we have to do is jump through one more hoop to get the job. I also feel I need to talk slowly and calmly for my presentation so that I don't rush it and end up going under the 5 minutes!

EDIT: I meant to ask how you are going to carry out your presentation? Are you going for a very business-like approach when presenting - almost like a prepared speech, or are you going for a more informal, conversational tone e.g. 'So from the research I carried out it would appear that there are two main categories of risk for X ? Hope that makes some sense!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by M83
Yep, definitely use the same competency questions. He or she will probably pick on the questions you did worst on in this first interview e.g. I stumbled on one of the problem-solving questions so will need two solid examples for my final interview. I've applied for risk consulting (ERS) - controls.

I know the feeling...I've got another 9 days of waiting! I feel like I've nearly got all my material ready for the presentation and will be giving the interviewer one handout (obviously nothing for myself so that I do it all from memory) so he or she can follow the structure of my presentation. I'm guessing we have all been given different material for our final presentations also? Mine is concerning the fashion industry! I agree with keeping up to date with current business/economic affairs. Hopefully any questions on current business/economic affairs will be of an open ended nature such as name a business/economic related piece of news that has interested you.

I now wish my interview was at the end of the week to be honest. I can almost see the end of the road and now all we have to do is jump through one more hoop to get the job. I also feel I need to talk slowly and calmly for my presentation so that I don't rush it and end up going under the 5 minutes!

EDIT: I meant to ask how you are going to carry out your presentation? Are you going for a very business-like approach when presenting - almost like a prepared speech, or are you going for a more informal, conversational tone e.g. 'So from the research I carried out it would appear that there are two main categories of risk for X ? Hope that makes some sense!

My pres is on changing demand do information and its effect on the audit industry. I think it's good to have a good few prices of news to talk about. The longer the both of you can discuss news the less time to be asked awkward questions.

I will obviously sound very professional and business like, you don't wanna spud like you're makin it up on the spot. Know it off by heart so it flows too. But defo make it conversational and not like you're reading the 6 o clock news.

I think the partner interview is really about the partner getting to know you though, so they can gauge how well you fit within the organisation. If you do the pres well and don't do anything stupid I think you should pass. They won't be looking to trip you up at this late stage in the process- they will be looking to hire you.
Reply 5
Original post by goku90
My pres is on changing demand do information and its effect on the audit industry. I think it's good to have a good few prices of news to talk about. The longer the both of you can discuss news the less time to be asked awkward questions.

I will obviously sound very professional and business like, you don't wanna spud like you're makin it up on the spot. Know it off by heart so it flows too. But defo make it conversational and not like you're reading the 6 o clock news.

I think the partner interview is really about the partner getting to know you though, so they can gauge how well you fit within the organisation. If you do the pres well and don't do anything stupid I think you should pass. They won't be looking to trip you up at this late stage in the process- they will be looking to hire you.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I know that now that I am in the final stage they are looking to hire me and pretty much just checking I can present, am up to date with current business affairs and a few more competency questions. Will you be taking in any handouts with you? I know I will definitely be giving my interviewer a really nice looking presentation sheet of all the topics I discuss (but not in detail - it's an infographic and I feel will have a positive impact as any studies I quote are cited on the sheet he/she will have), and am also debating whether it would be a bad idea to take an A4 sheet for myself with perhaps 8-10 bullet points on it (so practically nothing), so that it's there simply to guide me through the risks I wish to discuss. Thoughts?

P.S. What I meant by the 'conversational tone' to the presentation was that I feel if you have a structure that is too rigid and you have to follow it no matter what, then as soon as you lose track even slightly it can mess up the entire presentation. So I guess I prefer a more flexible and conversational presentation as opposed to something that has been artificially prepared. I'm hoping, as you say, they are just looking for someone that can talk and present for 5 minutes and not look like a buffoon lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by M83
Those were my thoughts exactly. I know that now that I am in the final stage they are looking to hire me and pretty much just checking I can present, am up to date with current business affairs and a few more competency questions. Will you be taking in any handouts with you? I know I will definitely be giving my interviewer a really nice looking presentation sheet of all the topics I discuss (but not in detail - it's an infographic and I feel will have a positive impact as any studies I quote are cited on the sheet he/she will have), and am also debating whether it would be a bad idea to take an A4 sheet for myself with perhaps 8-10 bullet points on it (so practically nothing), so that it's there simply to guide me through the risks I wish to discuss. Thoughts?

P.S. What I meant by the 'conversational tone' to the presentation was that I feel if you have a structure that is too rigid and you have to follow it no matter what, then as soon as you lose track even slightly it can mess up the entire presentation. So I guess I prefer a more flexible and conversational presentation as opposed to something that has been artificially prepared. I'm hoping, as you say, they are just looking for someone that can talk and present for 5 minutes and not look like a buffoon lol.

What do you mean by more comp questions? They will just be the standard ones won't there? Are there more questions for the partner interview? I only know of pressure, time u did something new and time you changed the way you did something. I only know these 3 questions have been asked in partner interviews in addition to the first interview questions.

I've got like 7 slides on PowerPoint pretty standard I think. You are using PowerPoint aren't you? That is the most obvious way to present to me. I won't have any aids for myself.

I have a rigid structure intro 3 main arguments and conclusion. I know my 3'points well enough that it won't sound rehearsed. Also the headings on my slides will act as a memory thing as well. If you memorise the headings then you can always move on to another point if you get stuck. You need to sound like you've prepared though and it's not off the cuff.
Reply 7
Original post by goku90
What do you mean by more comp questions? They will just be the standard ones won't there? Are there more questions for the partner interview? I only know of pressure, time u did something new and time you changed the way you did something. I only know these 3 questions have been asked in partner interviews in addition to the first interview questions.

I've got like 7 slides on PowerPoint pretty standard I think. You are using PowerPoint aren't you? That is the most obvious way to present to me. I won't have any aids for myself.

I have a rigid structure intro 3 main arguments and conclusion. I know my 3'points well enough that it won't sound rehearsed. Also the headings on my slides will act as a memory thing as well. If you memorise the headings then you can always move on to another point if you get stuck. You need to sound like you've prepared though and it's not off the cuff.

Ah, well I got this in my email: "Your presentation should be prepared in advance and there will be time at the end for your interviewer to ask questions. You may want to bring a handout for your interviewer but please note that you will not have access to an overhead projector, flip chart or computer". Oh, and I know you say you'll have no aids for yourself, but I guess the slides are an aid in a way are they not?

So I'm just going to bring a handout and follow what the email stated. By handout, I am going to take in one sheet for myself with bullet points and then a separate sheet (an infographic) for my interviewer, which hopefully they'll appreciate as it takes quite a lot of effort to construct a decent looking infographic. But no powerpoint for me :frown:, otherwise I'd have to bring in my own PC and a white board haha. But you don't think it would detract from my presentation if I was to have a sheet with bullet points on it for myself? I can't see how it would considering even the best presenters in the world such as Mick Romney and Obama who are about to go head to head will have sheets with them :tongue:

Yer I know what you mean, I would say I know my two main categories of risk for this company, followed by how to mitigate those risks and a little conclusion well enough. As you said, it won't sound rehearsed, but the interviewer should definitely tell it is structured. I'm worried if I get nervous and forget a point it may take me to under 5 minutes, but hopefully that won't be the case. I've been told 5 minutes for mine (not 5-10), so it can be nice and concise.

EDIT: Yep, by more comp questions I was referring to the same ones being recycled again (in particular any one performed average on in the first interview). Cheers for the other questions though, as I wasn't aware they ask those questions in particular in the partner interview!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm going to print out the slides. But it won't make any difference to the result anyway. As long as the interviewer can follow your speech from the handout it's fine.

I won't use the slides though I will only give it to the partner. Obama will have an hour long speech lol ours is 5 mins. Mine will most likely be 6 and a bit though but don't think it will make a difference.

Have you heard back from them yet? The hardest part will be the questions they ask I think, no way to predict those

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by goku90
I'm going to print out the slides. But it won't make any difference to the result anyway. As long as the interviewer can follow your speech from the handout it's fine.

I won't use the slides though I will only give it to the partner. Obama will have an hour long speech lol ours is 5 mins. Mine will most likely be 6 and a bit though but don't think it will make a difference.

Have you heard back from them yet? The hardest part will be the questions they ask I think, no way to predict those

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Heard back from them for what? I did email the person in charge of my application who said a sheet of bullet points for myself and the handout sheet for my interviewer would be fine, so that's all I'll be taking with me. As you said, it will be the questions on the presentation itself that could be the trickiest. I guess the only thing we can do is come up with all the questions we think may be asked. When's your interview then? Mine's a week today.
Reply 10
Original post by M83
Heard back from them for what? I did email the person in charge of my application who said a sheet of bullet points for myself and the handout sheet for my interviewer would be fine, so that's all I'll be taking with me. As you said, it will be the questions on the presentation itself that could be the trickiest. I guess the only thing we can do is come up with all the questions we think may be asked. When's your interview then? Mine's a week today.

Heard back from them arranging a date for your interview. I've been waiting since last Tuesday and still nothing. The Audit department is very busy apparently which is why they are taking so long.

Tbh by a week you shouldn't need a list of bullet points for your speech. If you do it without any aids it will make a better impression on the partner I think.
Reply 11
Original post by goku90
Heard back from them arranging a date for your interview. I've been waiting since last Tuesday and still nothing. The Audit department is very busy apparently which is why they are taking so long.

Tbh by a week you shouldn't need a list of bullet points for your speech. If you do it without any aids it will make a better impression on the partner I think.

Yer I guess also if I was to stumble once or twice during my presentation it would not appear as bad if I was without any visual aids than with. Which Deloitte did you apply to (location)? I think I'm fortunate as I know Deloitte work on a first come first served basis and I am the first in line for this job by quite a margin - or at least so I was told by both the person dealing with my application and my first interviewer. So I know I'm not up against any other candidates per se and I just need to perform well. I feel I've conquered by nerves in interviews now which is great.
Reply 12
Original post by M83
Yer I guess also if I was to stumble once or twice during my presentation it would not appear as bad if I was without any visual aids than with. Which Deloitte did you apply to (location)? I think I'm fortunate as I know Deloitte work on a first come first served basis and I am the first in line for this job by quite a margin - or at least so I was told by both the person dealing with my application and my first interviewer. So I know I'm not up against any other candidates per se and I just need to perform well. I feel I've conquered by nerves in interviews now which is great.

You must have applied so early then. Applied for London, I met people going for the same position as me on my inferview day. You London as well?
Reply 13
Original post by goku90
You must have applied so early then. Applied for London, I met people going for the same position as me on my inferview day. You London as well?

Mine is for the Cambridge location, with St Albans as my second choice, but I believe I am on course for the Cambridge position if I pass this interview which would be awesome for me as it is a 20min train ride and a 5min walk from the station! Yer I was really early to apply when I saw the risk consulting role and grad scheme position come up on a grad scheme site. I pretty much applied as soon as the position was posted and took all the numerical/verbal tests on that day. I think with Deloitte more than any of the other Big Four they reward applicants who apply early and have potential.
Reply 14
Original post by M83
Mine is for the Cambridge location, with St Albans as my second choice, but I believe I am on course for the Cambridge position if I pass this interview which would be awesome for me as it is a 20min train ride and a 5min walk from the station! Yer I was really early to apply when I saw the risk consulting role and grad scheme position come up on a grad scheme site. I pretty much applied as soon as the position was posted and took all the numerical/verbal tests on that day. I think with Deloitte more than any of the other Big Four they reward applicants who apply early and have potential.

Howcome it took so long to arrange your interview if you are the only interviewee at this stage? They should be interviewing you this week really. Have you already graduated?
Reply 15
Original post by goku90
Howcome it took so long to arrange your interview if you are the only interviewee at this stage? They should be interviewing you this week really. Have you already graduated?

Good point, I'm guessing the partners are perhaps just busy with other things? All I know is I am first in line. Yep I graduated in June with a 2:1, how about you? I don't know if being a graduate holds any advantages when applying over someone about to go into their final year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by M83
Good point, I'm guessing the partners are perhaps just busy with other things? All I know is I am first in line. Yep I graduated in June with a 2:1, how about you? I don't know if being a graduate holds any advantages when applying over someone about to go into their final year?

Also graduated this June. But not sure it really makes much of a difference tbh. Wish I could have my interview soon this wait is killing me now lol
Reply 17
Original post by goku90
Also graduated this June. But not sure it really makes much of a difference tbh. Wish I could have my interview soon this wait is killing me now lol

I know what you mean mate. I'm guessing you probably did something business or finance/economics related at uni? I did Anthropology so it's quite a way away from Risk consulting, but my first interviewer didn't mind that at all considering he did philosophy at uni. I'm trying to keep obsessively up to date with the news at the moment, but I'm hoping I wouldn't be asked some ridiculous question like 'describe in detail how quantitative easing works' lol (although I could probably answer that now). I guess I'm most worried about what he asks concerning my presentation.
Reply 18
Original post by M83
I know what you mean mate. I'm guessing you probably did something business or finance/economics related at uni? I did Anthropology so it's quite a way away from Risk consulting, but my first interviewer didn't mind that at all considering he did philosophy at uni. I'm trying to keep obsessively up to date with the news at the moment, but I'm hoping I wouldn't be asked some ridiculous question like 'describe in detail how quantitative easing works' lol (although I could probably answer that now). I guess I'm most worried about what he asks concerning my presentation.

They will never, ever, ask you that. They don't expect you to know that, if you knew all that why would you be applying to a grad job with an ACA contract?

These are competency questions. The closest thing to a 'quantitative easing' question you might get is 'Why have you chosen Risk?' or 'What attracts you to risk consulting'. They'd ask you these, because it's likely one of their competencies are commercial awareness.
Deliotte have a long interview process!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending