The Student Room Group

Is it fair for International Admissions?

I am an International student and applied to a so called UK University for a postgraduate study.I met all the conditions they required in the conditional offer letter so I declined all other offers.I was ready to pay for my deposit.
Altough Msc was written on my offer they decided to change it to a Diploma program.Can they do this?
Reply 1
Before you pay, there's no formal contract, so yes they can vary their offer if they choose to. Is it possible that one of your references wasn't as positive as you were expecting?

However, all is not necessarily lost. Normally if you start off on a PGDip (Diploma) in my field, you will be allowed to transfer to the full Masters course at the end of the second term if your coursework has been of a good standard. Check whether this is an option at your proposed university - you may not lose out at all. You could also ask them why your offer was downgraded at the same time - they might be willing to provide an explanation.
Reply 2
I met all the conditions but they said they should have asked for a higher GPA?Then why didn't they?They offered me conditions and all are met.
Reply 3
Original post by perran
I met all the conditions but they said they should have asked for a higher GPA?Then why didn't they?They offered me conditions and all are met.

I understand why you are upset. But as Klix88 said nothing is finalised until you have paid your deposit. (You have used this situation to your advantage to reject the other universities offers). The university is simply trying to make amens for their earlier mistake. So long as you do well in your coursework you should be allowed to do the dissertation no problem, and graduate with a masters.

If you are unhappy then do not pay the deposit and look for another course at another university.

The fact you are an international student makes next to no difference as far as I can see (i.e. it might have led to the mistake, but they are hardly treating you unfairly because you are an international student).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending