The Student Room Group

Can't find work...:(

This is really starting to get to me now. I've been in and out of agencies looking for work and nobody can help me. Realistically, what are my chances of getting a job and am I good enough for IT jobs?

I graduated 3 years ago in Computer Games Production with a 2:1 and since I have been unable to get anything other than Temporary work either in retail or offices. Here's my working life so far:

2007-2009
McDonalds
Graduated then worked at Sports Direct for a year
Worked for Nike (1 month X-Mas Temp)
Worked for Jagex (1 month)
Applied for University but the course got cancelled a week before it was due to start so I kept on applying for jobs and attending interviews
Worked at a horticulture organisation as a Sales Representative but was told by the manager that she was after a Qualified Account so was let go
Signed on to JSA
Had many more interviews for Games jobs, which were unsuccessful
Applying daily

If anyone could give me advice. I feel so lost at the moment. If you were in my shoes what would be the next step?
Reply 1
just stick at it mate. Your getting interviews which is a big plus, you must learn from each one and build upon it. When I was first applying for jobs I was very nervous and as a result performed badly at the actual interview. But learning from each one I was able to be more confident for the next one and eventually got a few offers.

I cant say too much about the IT career sector because that's not my specialty but keep applying and prepare fully before you go for an interview.
Reply 2
I feel the same as you. I'm applying for public sector jobs every day. Meanwhile, i'm on JSA and been outright rejected for about 10 retail jobs. At least you've already got some good retail experience behind you! I'm trying to get an xmas temp job but struggling. I would advise you to try and do the same since you have pretty good experience.
Original post by music788
I feel the same as you. I'm applying for public sector jobs every day. Meanwhile, i'm on JSA and been outright rejected for about 10 retail jobs. At least you've already got some good retail experience behind you! I'm trying to get an xmas temp job but struggling. I would advise you to try and do the same since you have pretty good experience.

Could you list the 10 jobs plz sir
Reply 4
Original post by Jimmytouchedme
Could you list the 10 jobs plz sir

Gladly. 4 roles within Next, 2 within Boots, 2 within M&S, 1 in River Island and 1 in Urban Outfitters.
Gladly. 4 roles within Next, 2 within Boots, 2 within M&S, 1 in River Island and 1 in Urban Outfitters.

Thanks. I'm in the same boat, did you apply on-line? I cant take all this job searching anymore :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Thanks. I'm in the same boat, did you apply on-line? I cant take all this job searching anymore :s-smilie:

Yeah, I did apply online. I'm wondering as to whether that's the problem though? Maybe I should have gotten off my arse and actually given in paper CV's to shops?? Hmm. Glad to see we're in the same boat though. Have you been getting to interviews or not?
If I were you, I would have refused to take on any jobs outside the computer games industry.
Your CV looks crap now and you'll never find work in that industry, rendering your degree (and
all the money and work that has gone into it) useless.
Yeah, I did apply online. I'm wondering as to whether that's the problem though? Maybe I should have gotten off my arse and actually given in paper CV's to shops?? Hmm. Glad to see we're in the same boat though. Have you been getting to interviews or not?

I've mainly been applying on-line on Reed for any office work and Human Resources, no luck though. Obv with Christmas coming up thought I better try my luck anywhere and everywhere really, though filling out all those applications sounds intimidating. My bro re-did my CV this week and now it reads alot better, so maybe that will help... Tired of all this now lad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
If I were you, I would have refused to take on any jobs outside the computer games industry.
Your CV looks crap now and you'll never find work in that industry, rendering your degree (and
all the money and work that has gone into it) useless.

If he wanted the truth he would have said so :lol:
the government are fiddling the unemployment figures. could be around 5 million unemployed and thats not taking to account economic inactive people.lots of skilled people taking the crappy part time unskilled jobs . i have 5 years retail exp and so far this year i ve only got a christmas temp job coming up. but i m so pleased i got it . :'(
I ve been rejected by loads of retailers, tried applying care work but they are mostly dis-interested (no exp, no driving license no NVQ). tried applying for admin, my god.... its so hard answering questions when you have no exp.
royal mail were quite easy to get a temp job, there interviewing is very quickly done, they ll take anyone with no crimmey record whos healthy.

Honestly maybe some employers are judging you having a degree in game design. some dont like it if you put gaming down as a hobby on a CV. You could try posting/giving your cv to game stores. see if there are any internships , write to graphic design places in your area for work exp. you could photo copy ur CV and go on Cv runs once a week. maybe think about doing a masters?
Reply 11
I've mainly been applying on-line on Reed for any office work and Human Resources, no luck though. Obv with Christmas coming up thought I better try my luck anywhere and everywhere really, though filling out all those applications sounds intimidating. My bro re-did my CV this week and now it reads alot better, so maybe that will help... Tired of all this now lad.

Sorry dude, I've tried to get HR stuff before so I know how hard that can be. Good luck

I'm the same as you. Got a rejection e-mail from Boots today to add to my collection :/ the most frustrating part of it is that I've worked in retail before so I know I could easily do that job. And I hate all these online applications that have bloody stupid questions.
Reply 13
I want a job in the IT business..I'm doomed?

No not really. Most retail shops will simply tell you they don't take in CVs (at least the nationwide stores or even region wide) and to fill out their online applications....
Reply 15
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
my god.... its so hard answering questions when you have no exp.

:frown:
Original post by oldham_fran
I'm the same as you. Got a rejection e-mail from Boots today to add to my collection :/ the most frustrating part of it is that I've worked in retail before so I know I could easily do that job. And I hate all these online applications that have bloody stupid questions.

lol i ve had 2 interviews with boots and i did work as a temp before. was unsuccessfu again. very hard getting a job in boots :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by oldham_fran

I got a rejection email also :frown: What are we doing wrong?
Reply 18
At least some of you got some experience. What to do for some that don't have experience at all or have outside of the UK. I've applied for few jobs like cleaning, warehousing, library, not many, as only today I got my national insurance number... I have a feeling that I'll be rejected many times also. What about Jobcentre? Can they guarantee you the job? Or they will just direct you to few jobs for interviews but that doesn't mean you'll get the job?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Charzhino
just stick at it mate. Your getting interviews which is a big plus, you must learn from each one and build upon it. When I was first applying for jobs I was very nervous and as a result performed badly at the actual interview. But learning from each one I was able to be more confident for the next one and eventually got a few offers.

I cant say too much about the IT career sector because that's not my specialty but keep applying and prepare fully before you go for an interview.

I agree with this. I have had six interviews for proper graduate jobs (+a few for crap part-time jobs) since I started looking for jobs 2,5 months ago. I was nervous and unprepared the first two, kept wondering why they would want to interview me and I couldn't get that out of my head. Now I finally feel like I have gotten the hang of it and each interview is better than the previous one. There is definitely a certain interview technique that you can practice. Hopefully the next interview will lead to an offer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending