The Student Room Group

Expired passport as proof of right to work in the UK?

Can you use an expired passport as proof of right to work in the UK?

I do have my birth certificate and NI Card but I don't really want to take my birth certificate because it's immaculate and don't quite want to have to put it in my pocket.

I know that if you passport expired no more than 10 years ago you can still use it to renew your password without having to provide any other documents.

Edit: I used the operators in Google search and found this on the gov.uk website and it says expired passports are ok. Link for anybody else who wants to know: https://www.gov.uk/check-an-employees-right-to-work-documents
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Well, if the website says so that means you can :smile:
Reply 2
Sorry but where on that entire page does it say anything about expired passports? If anything it says you're wrong because everything must be valid and up to date?
Original post by Muct
Can you use an expired passport as proof of right to work in the UK?

I do have my birth certificate and NI Card but I don't really want to take my birth certificate because it's immaculate and don't quite want to have to put it in my pocket.

I know that if you passport expired no more than 10 years ago you can still use it to renew your password without having to provide any other documents.

Edit: I used the operators in Google search and found this on the gov.uk website and it says expired passports are ok. Link for anybody else who wants to know: https://www.gov.uk/check-an-employees-right-to-work-documents

If the passport has the corner cut off that usually invalidates it as that indicates you were issued a new passport (in which case you should have it) or it was invalidated for a reason (your nationality was revoked or something). But if the passport just expired but you never replaced it and all four corners are still intact, it can usually be used as proof of eligibility to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending