The Student Room Group

Graduating with no internship/job - Advice Needed

I'm in my final year at uni and am wondering - if I am unable to land a summer internship/grad offer for Summer 2013 - and cannot afford/don't get into a Masters program - what's my next best bet post-graduation?

I have applied to leading investment banks, management consultancies, the big 4 and elite boutiques/smaller no-name places for IBD/corp finance roles but have had no luck so far. Mostly being ignored/getting rejections.

Is anyone in a similar situation? What are you planning on doing?

For anyone who was in a similar situation/knows someone who was/is - what did you do?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not in your position yet mate as I'm still in second year so not sure how much I can help :/. You've still got some months left, can you fit in any voluntary work, societies into your timetable especially stuff where you take a leadership or creative role? Is investment banking definitely what you want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Really_now
I'm not in your position yet mate as I'm still in second year so not sure how much I can help :/. You've still got some months left, can you fit in any voluntary work, societies into your timetable especially stuff where you take a leadership or creative role? Is investment banking definitely what you want to do?

I have a solid CV in terms of ECs - I just need more experience :smile:
Yup IBD or Corp Finance (preferably IBD) is definitely what I want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Zweihander
It's statements like this that make it clear why you haven't been having much success with your applications.

And it's statements like this that make it clear that you are a douchebag.

Why don't you give him positive criticism for a change rather than vague, offhanded insults.
Reply 4
Original post by danny111
And it's statements like this that make it clear that you are a douchebag.

Why don't you give him positive criticism for a change rather than vague, offhanded insults.

:lol:

Well its good to see you LSE lot stick together. I have nothing against the guy, but considering his history, background and experience, I'm frankly a little shocked at some of the posts he still makes on this site after years trying to break into the industry.

Edit: If he doesnt know something there's noting wrong with coming on here and asking. But the stage he's at and some of the questions he's asking, makes me think he clearly has a problem that a few threads on here is not going to solve. I think it's an issue that requires him to seriously rethink how he's approaching this whole recruitment game...and for the areas he may be lacking in knowledge, he needs to get up to speed fast - because you cant afford to be behind the competition, not in this industry and especially not in this crappy job market.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by charles-perry
I'm in my final year at uni and am wondering - if I am unable to land a summer internship/grad offer for Summer 2013 - and cannot afford/don't get into a Masters program - what's my next best bet post-graduation?

I have applied to leading investment banks, management consultancies, the big 4 and elite boutiques/smaller no-name places for IBD/corp finance roles but have had no luck so far. Mostly being ignored/getting rejections.

Is anyone in a similar situation? What are you planning on doing?

For anyone who was in a similar situation/knows someone who was/is - what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

a) What area are you targeting? - corporate finance / sales / structuring / trading / capital markets / strategy consulting / regulatory bodies / central banks / audit / taxation etc.?

b) How much money can you put aside for a masters degree? Are you willing to take a loan if necessary?

c) What is your current experience like? Are you multilingual? How wide is your network?
Reply 6

Well its good to see you LSE lot stick together. I have nothing against the guy, but considering his history, background and experience, I'm frankly a little shocked at some of the posts he still makes on this site after years trying to break into the industry.

Didn't know he was at LSE nor he has posted on here about it for years. I apologize.
Reply 7

Edit: If he doesnt know something there's noting wrong with coming on here and asking. But the stage he's at and some of the questions he's asking, makes me think he clearly has a problem that a few threads on here is not going to solve. I think it's an issue that requires him to seriously rethink how he's approaching this whole recruitment game...and for the areas he may be lacking in knowledge, he needs to get up to speed fast - because you cant afford to be behind the competition, not in this industry and especially not in this crappy job market.

Just to clarify a few things which seem to be causing a stir...

I'm not saying my application is strong - people are. I posted my CV on here last year. I've shown it to several people in the industry etc. Its just about getting my foot into the door...

Yes I have been on the forum for several years but I've not been positing the same questions for years... If I have a double post that was answered previously please let me know and I will apologise.

You keep saying 'I'm not up to scratch' but I'm just asking stuff on here that I genuinely don't know. For this thread, I've been told before to 1) complete a masters and try again 2) network and try again 3) apply to f500 companies for corp finance (but that will still be for internships)
I can't afford a masters at all (including loans). Long story why but ill save you the trouble of reading that :smile: Networking is something I'm doing already but doesn't solve the issue of what to do with the spare year.

Zweihander - you are one of the few people that reply to some of my threads so I do appreciate it. If you feel I have a problem or lack knowledge on specific stuff please let me know what I can do to improve it and ill do it. I'm not on here to be annoying - once my questions are answered (like the 2:1 question) I don't ask again. Please understand that everyone is at different stages and at least I'm making an effort of asking.

Also want to add that sometimes I post on here because I don't believe the advice I get at LSE. For example I was under the illusion that unless you have a first class an interview is unlikely for IBD roles. I even checked on LinkedIn and most people I could find had first class marks. Once I clarified it on here that this is not true it helped.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by effofex
a) What area are you targeting? - corporate finance / sales / structuring / trading / capital markets / strategy consulting / regulatory bodies / central banks / audit / taxation etc.?

b) How much money can you put aside for a masters degree? Are you willing to take a loan if necessary?

c) What is your current experience like? Are you multilingual? How wide is your network?

A) Corp finance/IBD/Capital Markets
B) £0
C) One rotational internship at a no name firm, MM M&A internship (more like a spring week), IBD internship at a no name firm. No I don't know any EU languages. My network is pretty focused on IBD.
Reply 9
B) £0
C) One rotational internship at a no name firm, MM M&A internship (more like a spring week), IBD internship at a no name firm. No I don't know any EU languages. My network is pretty focused on IBD.

If you cannot register on a masters course then you will have to network more. You are in London (I think) and British (I think) so you have an advantage in that you are right where the action is. BNP, SocGen and Commerzbank are all open to graduates doing long-term internships with them, (and so are Barclays, Nomura and UBS - who all take interns who are final year/have already graduated) so I would advise finding some appropriate people on LinkedIn -emailing them for a while and possibly meeting for coffee/interviews later.
B) £0

You seem strong enough for an internship/off cycle at least. I would advise to apply for summer and autumn internships i you cant land a grad.
Original post by effofex
If you cannot register on a masters course then you will have to network more. You are in London (I think) and British (I think) so you have an advantage in that you are right where the action is. BNP, SocGen and Commerzbank are all open to graduates doing long-term internships with them, (and so are Barclays, Nomura and UBS - who all take interns who are final year/have already graduated) so I would advise finding some appropriate people on LinkedIn -emailing them for a while and possibly meeting for coffee/interviews later.

Yup this is what I am planning on doing very soon.
Yup in London and British.
I did apply for commerzbank etc for grad schemes but was auto dinged :frown:
Networking seems the best way forward :smile:
Original post by PrincePauper
You seem strong enough for an internship/off cycle at least. I would advise to apply for summer and autumn internships i you cant land a grad.

Ok thanks! :smile:
Reply 13
Yup this is what I am planning on doing very soon.
Yup in London and British.
I did apply for commerzbank etc for grad schemes but was auto dinged :frown:
Networking seems the best way forward :smile:

Did you do an internship in the summer of your second year?
Original post by gangst
Did you do an internship in the summer of your second year?

My timeline is a bit confusing.
Did an internship in my 1st year summer, then xmas period for 2nd year, then summer 2nd year, then deferred a year (personal reasons) so no internships were completed that year (xmas or summer), now i'm back to finish uni for 1 year. Go the internships I have done are a bit 'dated'.
And yes I still want to do IBD... haha
Reply 15
My timeline is a bit confusing.
Did an internship in my 1st year summer, then xmas period for 2nd year, then summer 2nd year, then deferred a year (personal reasons) so no internships were completed that year (xmas or summer), now i'm back to finish uni for 1 year. Go the internships I have done are a bit 'dated'.
And yes I still want to do IBD... haha

were any of them BB internships or big name firms?

do you have a copy of you CV to show?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gangst
were any of them BB internships or big name firms?

do you have a copy of you CV to show?

No they were all no name firms... I'm trying to get into a BB/elite boutique.

Yes - I can PM my CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending