The Student Room Group

No idea what do do at uni. Suggestions?

Hello. Basically, I have no idea what I'd like to do as a career, but in the long run I'd like to earn at least £40,000. Here is the list of subjects and grades I've achieved throughout my academic life:

Subjects

A level:

Health and Social Care: A*
Biology: A
Sociology: A*
Geography: A
EPQ: A

GCSE:

Applied Science: AB
EPQ: B
English Lit + Lang: CC
Maths: B
Geography: C
ICT OCR National: Merit
BTEC Business: Pass
Spanish: C

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr Dr
Hello. Basically, I have no idea what I'd like to do as a career, but in the long run I'd like to earn at least £40,000. Here is the list of subjects and grades I've achieved throughout my academic life:

Subjects

A level:

GCSE:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Is earning over £40K the only criteria? What about your interests? It really isn't that difficult to earn over £40k in most competitive careers so you might want to narrow your search to what you enjoy.

From the looks of your A levels you have done well in health and social care and Biology. Perhaps something in the Health sector? But I think you really need to have a strong desire to help people and enjoy the biological sciences which you probably do given your A levels.

I know a guy who did Biology at university but he now workds for Ernst and Young as consultant. Another friend did languages - German and Russian and now works for Delloite as a trainee accountant. Another friend studied Maths and Physics and is now working as a trainee fund manager at a Bank - Investec. Another friend took Maths and now works in HR project management. Another friend did a History degree and is working in marketing.

From this list you can probably see that the degree doesn't tend to lead into a specific career...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dr Dr

Subjects

A level:

GCSE:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there.

Firstly, finance should not be the priority. You will soon discover that at University - if your interests do not lie within the course, you will most likely drop out, or either gain a low mark to the point of which the degree itself was not worth it. Also, £40,000 P/A is quite a lot to just expect; especially in today's market. Most Graduates are struggling to get 18K-20K jobs. Realistically, with a lot of hard work, voluntary/paid work experience and internships, and obviously a career that is realistic, you could expect 18-24K starting salary. Possibly more.

Study something that interests you. Something that you could see yourself doing (related to the working world), but you love studying, and don't wake up every morning and thing "I absolutely hate this" - like I said, you'll end up dropping out, getting a low mark, or having a degree in an area that you have no interest in. So there is no real benefits.

Gain some experience to decide, or take a gap year. Possibly do an Apprenticeship for a year, or employment (if you can get it - it is proven difficult). Working in the real work can allow you to experience different things, and know what you want.
Original post by littleeggy
It really isn't that difficult to earn over £40k in most competitive careers so you might want to narrow your search to what you enjoy.

Original post by Himynameskiefer
Also, £40,000 P/A is quite a lot to just expect; especially in today's market. Most Graduates are struggling to get 18K-20K jobs.

Some rather differing opinions here :mmm:

But I agree in part with what everyone here has said, follow the subject you enjoy rather than the one that could potentially get you more money. If you hate the subject you choose to study at uni and so drop out, you're earning less money than with a career that pays less but you enjoy anyway...
Original post by RainbowWithAnI
Some rather differing opinions here :mmm:

But I agree in part with what everyone here has said, follow the subject you enjoy rather than the one that could potentially get you more money. If you hate the subject you choose to study at uni and so drop out, you're earning less money than with a career that pays less but you enjoy anyway...

It depends upon how you mean it, rather.

Walk straight into a £40K job? Highly un-doubt it in this economy, and it isn't recovering any time soon.

After years and years of experience? It isn't impossible, providing you pick the correct career path financially. However, I wouldn't advise money over interests. I would rather be playing music for NMW than being something I hated everyday.

It's just personal opinions, really. Would you rather money or interest?

If you can find the balance, then that would be perfect. I like teaching, hence the balance has been restored if I were to choose that.
Reply 5
Original post by Dr Dr

Subjects

A level:

GCSE:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do one of the subjects you did at A Level and apply for general graudate schemes? Or even specific ones like Law, finance, consultancy etc.

Could so Social Policy and go into social work, pay's not amazing but if you work your way up in the council 40k's definitely a possibility.

Just given your name Medicine, either UEA 5 year or with a Foundation year at one of Bristol, UEA, KCL, Keele, Cardiff, Sheffield, Manchester, Notttingham, Dundee, Soton or St George's.
Original post by Dr Dr

Subjects

A level:

GCSE:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My gut reaction is to say don't go to uni unless there is a course that you are inexplicably enticed by, or until you find a subject that you are hopelessly in love with. In my experience, there are too many students who are at uni, just for the sake of being at uni.
The point of higher education is to study something you love at a deeper level.
Of course if you are going to go to uni, the main thing to consider is "is this something I will be fully interested in for the next three (or however many) years?" and, secondary to that, "is it something I will actually be good at?" Think of your current courses, and if there's nothing you can say 100% you want to do, look wider for other subjects or combinations of subjects. Sometimes even taking a bit longer to decide can help you make a good choice.
Reply 7
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
And no, I didn't mean going into a job to earn 40k off the bat. As I said, in the long run (over a lengthy period of time, working up the ranks). I don't know what to do at uni because I was equally good at everything, but to those who suggested medicine due to my Biology grade, I'm not clever enough for med school, I'm just the average joe who could be bothered to revise. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Dr
And no, I didn't mean going into a job to earn 40k off the bat. As I said, in the long run (over a lengthy period of time, working up the ranks). I don't know what to do at uni because I was equally good at everything, but to those who suggested medicine due to my Biology grade, I'm not clever enough for med school, I'm just the average joe who could be bothered to revise. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to UCAS course search, enter the name of your favoutite subject and LOTS of related courses appear. Even if you don't want to go to uni they might inspire job paths!
Reply 10
Hi there,

Is earning over £40K the only criteria? What about your interests? It really isn't that difficult to earn over £40k in most competitive careers so you might want to narrow your search to what you enjoy.

From the looks of your A levels you have done well in health and social care and Biology. Perhaps something in the Health sector? But I think you really need to have a strong desire to help people and enjoy the biological sciences which you probably do given your A levels.

I know a guy who did Biology at university but he now workds for Ernst and Young as consultant. Another friend did languages - German and Russian and now works for Delloite as a trainee accountant. Another friend studied Maths and Physics and is now working as a trainee fund manager at a Bank - Investec. Another friend took Maths and now works in HR project management. Another friend did a History degree and is working in marketing.

From this list you can probably see that the degree doesn't tend to lead into a specific career...

I'm not sure about the health sector. Yes, I did pick 2 science subjects, and I did do moderately well in them, but I enjoyed Sociology the most. Do you know of any careers that would compliment say a Masters in Sociology, leading to about 40k after a few years in the business? I know people say I shouldn't worry about the amount of money I earn, but I don't want to earn an 'average' amount of money because I could get a job that pays the national average without wasting the lat 2 years of my life, revising for 3 hours a day :smile:. I honestly can't see myself being happy earning less than 40,000 after a few years, but I would enjoy studying Sociology, even though it isn't considered a 'respected' degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Go to UCAS course search, enter the name of your favoutite subject and LOTS of related courses appear. Even if you don't want to go to uni they might inspire job paths!

Thanks, I'll try that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Dr
I'm not sure about the health sector. Yes, I did pick 2 science subjects, and I did do moderately well in them, but I enjoyed Sociology the most. Do you know of any careers that would compliment say a Masters in Sociology, leading to about 40k after a few years in the business? I know people say I shouldn't worry about the amount of money I earn, but I don't want to earn an 'average' amount of money because I could get a job that pays the national average without wasting the lat 2 years of my life, revising for 3 hours a day :smile:. I honestly can't see myself being happy earning less than 40,000 after a few years, but I would enjoy studying Sociology, even though it isn't considered a 'respected' degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you've only done one science subject which most universities would count- thats biology. and if you think you'd enjoy Sociology go for it, several respected unis offer it. Or maybe consider Anthropology?

You don't necessarily need to go for a degree that leads to a particular job.
Reply 13
With your GCSE results, do look at university requirement closely especially for top uni. e.g. many uni. ask for A grade for GCSE Maths if you fancy science subject or B in English for humanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000
you've only done one science subject which most universities would count- thats biology. and if you think you'd enjoy Sociology go for it, several respected unis offer it. Or maybe consider Anthropology?

You don't necessarily need to go for a degree that leads to a particular job.

I'll have a look into it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by poony
With your GCSE results, do look at university requirement closely especially for top uni. e.g. many uni. ask for A grade for GCSE Maths if you fancy science subject or B in English for humanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes, I know that's stopping me from being accepted into top universities :smile:. The best unis I could go to due to my average GCSE grades would be somewhere like Exeter, Bath, Surrey etc.

They're all in the top 10 for Sociology though, so I'm sure I'd have a good time there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps something in the Health sector?

Other than becoming a doctor/dentist, it's actually fairly difficult for NHS health professionals to get to £40k as they need to reach band 8 (manager/consultant level).
Reply 17
Original post by Dr Dr
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think maybe you could divide it into sections and research them to see if they interest you.

1. Social sciences. Either directly related such as BA Social Policy at Bristol or in related areas such as Anthropology/Archaeology or you could also consider psychology given your A level subjects.

2. A broad degree such as Exeter's 'flexible combined honours' or their new liberal arts degree (or Birmingham university's Science and Liberal Arts degree) gives you a chance to keep your options broader and create a 'major' later. The same is true if you go to a Scottish university which takes four years and usually allows you to try more subjects in the first and second year before deciding.

3. Science courses. Anything from biological science to marine biology.... lots out there.

4. Health professions. Again there are a lot of different courses and opportunities from nursing to opthalmics. Clinical Psychology is also an option.

5. Any one of your A level studies could be carried on to degree level.

6. Do something completely different... journalism, law, political science....

7. Geography related... archaeology/anthropology (again!), geology, mining....

Try to work out your personality and interests. Read some course details and see which appeal to you and that will start to narrow things down... Out of interest some courses name Geography as an acceptable second 'science'. If there is a reason why your GCSE's are lower than might have been expected then top universities have 'extenuating circumstances' forms that can be requested. They have to be requested by your school/college though. Also these types of issues can be covered in your reference if you spoke to your referee.

Good luck,

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Dr Dr
Oh yes, I know that's stopping me from being accepted into top universities :smile:. The best unis I could go to due to my average GCSE grades would be somewhere like Exeter, Bath, Surrey etc.

They're all in the top 10 for Sociology though, so I'm sure I'd have a good time there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL, both Bath and Exeter are top 10 uni. in UK, don't be greedy :biggrin:
It took me awhile to work out what I wanted to do. Which wasn't what I first thought and it's taken a few years of work, in different jobs to find what I really enjoy. In my case teaching sports to children in after school clubs and primary school pe. Is what I enjoy doing as a job but there Isn't much work in this area with most being part time. So I thought about it and realised that they way to do this full time is to become a secondary school pe teacher. I now got a place on a sport and physical education degree, three year, as I couldn't get on a 4 year physical education degree with qualified teacher status. So I'll have to do a PGCSE in physical education for another year, after I complete the three year degree. It's going take 4 years to get where I want to be but it be worth it. A career and a decent salary starting at roughly 21,000 per year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending