The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lau18
Can I just ask, has anybody submitted their application showing work experience? Similarly has anybody had an interview offer with no experience? Trying to assess the likelihood of me getting an interview, it's only a few days since my application was sent so I know i'm being ridiculously impatient but i'm so nervous!

I did last year, got interviews as well. What I did was just mention in my PS that I was looking forward to the work experience I had planned (which I didn't actually have planned but it was in the process of being planned so technically it wasn't lying :colondollar: :tongue:). But I'm sure you will be OK, just try and get it done before any of your interviews so you have something to talk about then!
Original post by Amy.S
Hi Becky, I have signed the petition! Please can I ask what you were asked during your interview x

Hi Amy,
Thanks for signing! :smile:
In the interview last year, it was more of a formal chat, they asked me generic things like 'why radiography' and 'why not therapeutic radiography'. They also asked me to list 5 qualities that you think a radiographer should have, which kind of threw me, I didn't expect it! haha.
They are really nice and try and make you feel better about the situation and explain what is going to happen really well :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by angel.iced<3
I did last year, got interviews as well. What I did was just mention in my PS that I was looking forward to the work experience I had planned (which I didn't actually have planned but it was in the process of being planned so technically it wasn't lying :colondollar: :tongue:). But I'm sure you will be OK, just try and get it done before any of your interviews so you have something to talk about then!

Thanks! I've done a one day shadow placement and will be returning for another three days next year and put all of that in my PS, still waiting on a decision and it's killing me!! :smile: everything crossed...
Original post by Black Diamonds
Hi I've signed it. :frown: why would they want to do this? Will they allow current students to complete the course? I hope they don't because I want to go Leeds. Quick questions. How are placements allocated and are there any commuter students for radiography in your year or the other years? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

They are doing this because they want all Leeds courses to match a 'one size fits all' of research excellence, which obviously healthcare courses can't do, they are saying that current students can finish their course at Leeds but who knows what the quality of training would be if the radiographer lecturers left!

Placements are allocated according to the order in which you prefer (they let you choose) although everyone always chooses Leeds as a first, so there is a good possibility that you might not get Leeds (I didn't).

There are some people that do commute, although they do ask at interview if you are willing to commute to placement and it could be quite difficult if you get Scarborough and live further away than Leeds.

Hope that helps :smile:
Hey guys. 3rd year Radiography student at Uni of Cumbria, Lancaster, here :biggrin:

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:

I am helping out with interviews this year so I'm not going to be able to discuss anything about specific questions asked because that will probably get me in trouble but I can discuss general format etc :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 385
Original post by angel.iced<3
Well done!!! Is that your firm?

Yeah :smile: what abut you, where you applying?
Original post by ChloeSusanna
Salford told me on the phone that they accepted my current course then declined me for my entry requirements..? Guessing they had too much competition this year or something... I also applied to Derby, Teesside, and Portsmouth. Ports gave me an offer to do psychology instead and derby and teesside declined me too :frown:

Am so sorry :frown: Welldone on the psychology offer. What have you decided to do?
Original post by razzmatazz rach
Hey guys. 3rd year Radiography student at Uni of Cumbria, Lancaster, here :biggrin:

Any questions feel free to ask :smile:

I am helping out with interviews this year so I'm not going to be able to discuss anything about specific questions asked because that will probably get me in trouble but I can discuss general format etc :smile:

Had an interview at Cumbria couple of weeks ago and got an offer thank goodness :biggrin: all the students were so nice! As a 3rd year student you'll hopefully be looking for a job. Do you think it will be difficult? or is everyone confident they will get a job. How long would you think it would take to find a Job? :smile: Thank you! Just a little worried about how hard it is to find a job :smile: Thank you!
Girlfriend has been a qualified Diagnostic Rad for nearly 4 years now, I can remember her stressing over UCAS etc as if it was yesterday :P

Best of luck to you all and hope you get what you want or at least, a place somewhere :smile:
Original post by rebekahjade
Hi,

They are doing this because they want all Leeds courses to match a 'one size fits all' of research excellence, which obviously healthcare courses can't do, they are saying that current students can finish their course at Leeds but who knows what the quality of training would be if the radiographer lecturers left!

Placements are allocated according to the order in which you prefer (they let you choose) although everyone always chooses Leeds as a first, so there is a good possibility that you might not get Leeds (I didn't).

There are some people that do commute, although they do ask at interview if you are willing to commute to placement and it could be quite difficult if you get Scarborough and live further away than Leeds.

Hope that helps :smile:

:frown: Thats very worrying. If the petition gets to the required numbers of signatures what will happen than? How can I find out if this plan is going to be brought forward or not? Thanks in advance.

Also how hard do commuting students find it on your course? Do they get any help? Am sorry if you dont know. I was just wondering as I want to commute if its possible.
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Girlfriend has been a qualified Diagnostic Rad for nearly 4 years now, I can remember her stressing over UCAS etc as if it was yesterday :P

Best of luck to you all and hope you get what you want or at least, a place somewhere :smile:

Bless. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Grim_Squeaker

That's very kind, thank you. (:
Had an interview at Cumbria couple of weeks ago and got an offer thank goodness :biggrin: all the students were so nice! As a 3rd year student you'll hopefully be looking for a job. Do you think it will be difficult? or is everyone confident they will get a job. How long would you think it would take to find a Job? :smile: Thank you! Just a little worried about how hard it is to find a job :smile: Thank you!

I'm a first year student, and I've got an observational period in a hospital in January, first term was all theory and the interprofessional foundation programme, but from what I've been told the NHS always needs more imaging staff, and they tailor course places to predicted job requirements - it's why we get the bursary, so there should really be a job somewhere in the country, if you are willing to travel. Of course, "if you are willing to travel" implies you might have to travel far.

Radiographers of both flavours are a relatively rare breed at the moment, and for us diagnostics, nearly everyone who goes into a hospital these days needs imaging of some kind, so job security is very high, and there's a relatively constant demand if the particular NHS trust has the money for more staff.

Hey congrats on the offer :smile: Do you know who interviewed you?

I haven't looked at jobs yet other than the occasional glance at NHS jobs, it will be about March when I start applying for jobs. Out of last years graduates the all have jobs now, majority got job offers between May and August. The only people who struggled where people who were stuck to a certain location due to family and commitments, if you're willing to move around the country it will be a lot easier to find a job. My preference is anywhere north, preferable north west and lecturers have said I shouldn't struggle to find a job where I want to.
If you really enjoy your placement and make a good impression then there is always a good chance of a job there. There are 10 students at my placement and last year there were 5 jobs advertised. A lot of the staff are retiring over the next year or two and there are a lot of agency staff at my placement currently so I am hoping to get a job there.

Got to admit though the job market for radiography has changed since I started so there is no predicting what it will be like when you qualify. I can't see it ever being too bad as radiographers are always needed and radiography is always evolving.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by orlamcd
Yeah :smile: what abut you, where you applying?

I've applied to City, LSBU, QMU, GCU and St George's... Got an interview/testing session at LSBU next week! So excited :tongue:. Where else have you applied? :smile:
Original post by Mjr_issues
I'm a first year student, and I've got an observational period in a hospital in January, first term was all theory and the interprofessional foundation programme, but from what I've been told the NHS always needs more imaging staff, and they tailor course places to predicted job requirements - it's why we get the bursary, so there should really be a job somewhere in the country, if you are willing to travel. Of course, "if you are willing to travel" implies you might have to travel far.

Radiographers of both flavours are a relatively rare breed at the moment, and for us diagnostics, nearly everyone who goes into a hospital these days needs imaging of some kind, so job security is very high, and there's a relatively constant demand if the particular NHS trust has the money for more staff.

Thank you! That really very reassuring :smile: Am hoping "too far" Doesnt end up a job 3 hours away from where I live. I'll worry about this closer to the time haha. But thank you!
Original post by razzmatazz rach
Hey congrats on the offer :smile: Do you know who interviewed you?

I haven't looked at jobs yet other than the occasional glance at NHS jobs, it will be about March when I start applying for jobs. Out of last years graduates the all have jobs now, majority got job offers between May and August. The only people who struggled where people who were stuck to a certain location due to family and commitments, if you're willing to move around the country it will be a lot easier to find a job. My preference is anywhere north, preferable north west and lecturers have said I shouldn't struggle to find a job where I want to.
If you really enjoy your placement and make a good impression then there is always a good chance of a job there. There are 10 students at my placement and last year there were 5 jobs advertised. A lot of the staff are retiring over the next year or two and there are a lot of agency staff at my placement currently so I am hoping to get a job there.

Got to admit though the job market for radiography has changed since I started so there is no predicting what it will be like when you qualify. I can't see it ever being too bad as radiographers are always needed and radiography is always evolving.

Thank you very much! :smile: Am so sorry I don't have a clue what his name was. I most have forgotten within minutes of him introducing himself during the interview. I was so nervous! He said he's married and commutes from home if that helps. He's in his 3rd year also. Very friendly/ Kind and funny. I don't know if this even helps haha sorry :frown:

Same i'd be happy anywhere north :smile: How have you found your time at Cumbria so far? Also how important is the University you graduated from when your applying to jobs. Does the employer look out for a specific University? All the Universities said during their open days that their students are the most sought after so am very confused. I liked all the Universities that I have applied for. So if it doesn't matter I would love to go to Cumbria instead as its so close as opposed of having to travel all the way to another say Liverpool/Leeds for example which I also really like also if there is no extra benefit. Sorry for waffling ! :smile:
Hey does anyone know what Hertfordshire's interviews are like. I have an interview with them everything is confirmed and they have sent an email with sample Qs for their test, so I was wondering what's the whole process like. Thanx any help is much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmiraSerafina
Because honestly, there isn't much choice when it comes to DR, the remainder of the available unis are either too far from home or in a city that I wouldn't want to live in. But I guess I'm going to think about it carefully and add another choice before the Jan deadline is up. Yet my heart is still in London! Haha. :biggrin:

Good luck I'm sure you'll get a London one :smile: can't wait till next year when UCAS in general is over. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! :smile: Am so sorry I don't have a clue what his name was. I most have forgotten within minutes of him introducing himself during the interview. I was so nervous! He said he's married and commutes from home if that helps. He's in his 3rd year also. Very friendly/ Kind and funny. I don't know if this even helps haha sorry :frown:

Same i'd be happy anywhere north :smile: How have you found your time at Cumbria so far? Also how important is the University you graduated from when your applying to jobs. Does the employer look out for a specific University? All the Universities said during their open days that their students are the most sought after so am very confused. I liked all the Universities that I have applied for. So if it doesn't matter I would love to go to Cumbria instead as its so close as opposed of having to travel all the way to another say Liverpool/Leeds for example which I also really like also if there is no extra benefit. Sorry for waffling ! :smile:

I've really enjoyed it, I actually think I will be sad to leave even though I am fed up of being a student now and just want a paid job :smile: Lancaster can be a bit quiet but I'm not big on clubbing etc so I'm not too fussed, I just wish it had more shops but you can travel to Preston, Blackpool, Liverpool and Manchester easily and it's getting a Primark in the next year or two.
I really like the Uni and lecturers and feel like I've learnt a lot and when I'm on placement I get on well with what I've learnt.

I don't think the university is looked at a lot because the course is governed by the HCPC so everyone (supposedly) learns roughly the same stuff to the same standard. I know Cumbria says their students have a good reputation and I have found that they does in the North. I did elective placements in hospitals in Liverpool and found we did have a good reputation but it's still surrounding the name St Martin's College. I have also been told our placement paperwork is very good and our portfolios have helped students get jobs over other students.
I think the main time what university you went to counts is if you are applying to a hospital that takes students from a uni as they will prefer to take students who have trained there because it saves them time and effort when training new starters but most places operate a points based interview so if you do well enough in the interview it shouldn't matter what uni you went to.

I'm from Liverpool and I had an offer from them but when I went to the open day I just didn't like the feel of it when compared to Cumbria. Cumbria is a lot more homely, the campus is small, we know all the lecturers well and you can go and talk to them any time about anything and you personal tutor always has time for you. Liverpool felt a bit cold to me and it seemed like you were more a number than a student but that was just the impression I got from half a day, it might not be like that at all.
I also wanted to move out and away from home so that helped make the decision :smile:

Overall I really enjoy it and don't regret it at all. I've had a great time, I've found the teaching really good and the teaching facilities are a great help when it comes to practicing radiography skills before placements. I've got an amazing placement in a really busy and big hospital which gives me a lot of experience in all different departments and I have a really good clinical tutor who looks out for us :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest