The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone who went the Cardiff interview last week got an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
Can some explain to me how you get work experience in a radiography part of a hospital or any other work experience in this work field...im 16 at sixth form and live in london.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You literally just ask them. I've heard some have forms you apply for online, but I got my experience when I followed my mum along for an examination and asked "oh, by the way, can I have a days shadowing please?". Was asked to fill in a form by the radiologist there, and she sorted out a day for me. Can always ask over the phone too. Worst case scenario, they say nope.

Most radiographers really don't mind, and if it's a university hospital, they will already have people on the course there, so they generally don't mind having people for observation. They might want you to wear a lead rubber apron in the imaging rooms or something though.

One day was enough for me to get into the course, though more is always recommended, ideally with two hospitals. If your unis have a form to be filled in, it will probably ask for comments from the radiographer/radiologist there, so you'll probably want it printed.

You could always ask for them to write a letter confirming that you were there, though I'm not sure how that'd work. A dentist did that for me after I spent a day shadowing there too.
Original post by Thedoctor2016
Has anyone who went the Cardiff interview last week got an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If by last week you mean the 21st February interview date, I have an offer, it took about 9 days for me as they promised :smile:
Right okay mine was the 29th so it will be by the middle of next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Hi, has anyone got an interview at Christ Church (Canterbury) yet? Meant to have a decision by the end of this week. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bigvern45
Hi, has anyone got an interview at Christ Church (Canterbury) yet? Meant to have a decision by the end of this week. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still waiting on a response from them :/ They're the last uni to respond to me :s-smilie:
Recieved an offer from Portsmouth 🎉so happy. My interview was Tuesday they said they'd get back a week later quite shocked :biggrin:
Best 18th b-day gift ever :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crizellecastillo
It's on the 7th, so this Friday. :smile: I've heard from someone who had their medicine interview at Leeds, that Leeds is a massive university so finding th department might take some time

Yeah it is :smile: How did your interview go?
Reply 788
Yup. CCCU really slow. They said we'd know by the end of this week! Bit late now. lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had an interview at Suffolk? Or taken the admission tests?
Original post by Bigvern45
Yup. CCCU really slow. They said we'd know by the end of this week! Bit late now. lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They told another we'd have interviews by the end of January...Not sure whats going on with them :L
Reply 791
Original post by JammyGit07
They told another we'd have interviews by the end of January...Not sure whats going on with them :L

I am also waiting. I did call and they said I should hear the end of this week, but nothing as yet. I know someone who has an interview 2nd week of February. Hopefully we should hear by the end of next week.
Reply 792
Original post by angel.iced<3
Ah cool, hopefully you get offers from both then :-). How are you finding the access course? Do you have exams for it?

Not sure, fingers crossed. I really feel I have failed the numeracy though. The access course is really good, but there is so much to do. We also have a lot of exams and coursework to get through.
Original post by lilly1979
I am also waiting. I did call and they said I should hear the end of this week, but nothing as yet. I know someone who has an interview 2nd week of February. Hopefully we should hear by the end of next week.

Thanks for the info! :biggrin: Yeah hopefully soon :smile:
Reply 794
Just received an offer from sheffield Hallam Uni!!!! Only had interview on Wednesday! I'm over the moon
Original post by Bubbly-19
Just received an offer from sheffield Hallam Uni!!!! Only had interview on Wednesday! I'm over the moon

Congrats, my friends at there and shes absolutely loving it :smile:
Reply 796
Original post by JammyGit07
Congrats, my friends at there and shes absolutely loving it :smile:

Thank you!!!! Which Uni is your first choice??
Original post by bethgladden
Has anyone had an interview at Suffolk? Or taken the admission tests?

I have! What'd you wanna know? :-)
So I applied for Radiography last year, had two offers and then failed my physics a-level come results day. Fast forward to now, I'm resitting and reapplying and I've had all 5 interviews but had 4 offers, one I haven't heard from yet and I'm trying to choose whether to put London South Bank or Suffolk as my first choice, was wondering if anyone had any advice/help on choosing??
Original post by ChloeBonner
So I applied for Radiography last year, had two offers and then failed my physics a-level come results day. Fast forward to now, I'm resitting and reapplying and I've had all 5 interviews but had 4 offers, one I haven't heard from yet and I'm trying to choose whether to put London South Bank or Suffolk as my first choice, was wondering if anyone had any advice/help on choosing??

Well, any uni will offer a HCPC approved course, so you've got that on the plus side.

Now, check the course structures. Some unis go for many short placements, others go for two or three longer placements. Which do you think you would prefer? Long placements have a benefit in that you might find it easier to get a job at that particular hospital after graduating, if you intend on staying in the area afterwards. Short placements give more variety to you as a student. Also, what % clinical to lectures and such? Most do 50:50 or so, but some go for more like 60:40 clinical to academic

Other factors such as travel come in - London South Bank is in London - travel links are likely very good. How does Suffolk compare? Placement hospitals might be an hour and a half away from the university, so good travel is important, unless you have a car or something.
Costs of living? London is dearer, but the travel costs being lower might make Suffolk cost more in the long run. That needs to be checked.

How does the uni assign placements? Some allow choices, others assign you to a slot and you have to go.

How's life in the area going to be? Sure you won't have as much time for partying and such as other courses, and most unis have good entertainment around, but it's good to know.

Which one felt better? I went to Kingston and thought "yep, I like it here". Fast forward to now and I still like it here, after a few months.
Also, on a solely pragmatic note, if it's a conditional offer, what are their requirements? If one's ABB and the other's BBB, (as an example, grades pulled out of my posterior) it might be more comforting to know you are more likely to get the grades for it.

Quick Reply

Latest