The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandra1
Hey what work experience did you do before applying for this course...i find it hard to find a hospital in london to observe the radiography department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi i did Work experience at two different hospitals for a day each in the Radiology department. I managed to get hold of the emails for the clinical tutors at the hospitals because it was on the University website. Try that. If that doesn't work try giving the hospital a call. Find the number to the Radiology Department and ask them if you can have a clinical visit. Not all hospitals will give you a clinical visit so ring as many as you can. Hope this helped. Good luck :smile:
I'm really stuck over whether to firm Liverpool and insure St Georges (both BBB) or vice versa, does anyone have any opinions that might sway it? :smile:
Original post by Whyllee
I'm really stuck over whether to firm Liverpool and insure St Georges (both BBB) or vice versa, does anyone have any opinions that might sway it? :smile:

I don't know much about either uni tbh but if I was stuck between them two I'd go for liverpool. London is just so expensive and even though you get a little extra finance, if you're not well off I imagine being a student in london is hard! Especially as radiography is such a full course with placements etc. you probs wouldn't have loads of time for a decent part time job to help either. Just my thoughts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missphoenix
I don't know much about either uni tbh but if I was stuck between them two I'd go for liverpool. London is just so expensive and even though you get a little extra finance, if you're not well off I imagine being a student in london is hard! Especially as radiography is such a full course with placements etc. you probs wouldn't have loads of time for a decent part time job to help either. Just my thoughts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a really valid point actually, thanks :smile: I think I'm leaning towards Liverpool, I also get the impression the "student experience" will also be better as it's not in london, still got a few more days to make up my mind though
Original post by Whyllee
That is a really valid point actually, thanks :smile: I think I'm leaning towards Liverpool, I also get the impression the "student experience" will also be better as it's not in london, still got a few more days to make up my mind though

Why would you insure somewhere that's asking for the same grades as your first choice?? That's risky!
Original post by Whyllee

Yeah I think liverpool would be more fun! You can always move to london once you're qualified maybe :smile:

Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone here secured a place where they havent been too

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I don't get C in my gcse maths and English, what will happen to my conditional offer?? Does anyone know?? Please advise!!!
Original post by Tweety2005
If I don't get C in my gcse maths and English, what will happen to my conditional offer?? Does anyone know?? Please advise!!!

If your offer is conditional to you achieving a C in English and maths you must get a C to meet the offer for your place. If it isn't conditional to you achieving a C then it shouldn't matter what grade you get. Does that help? :-)
My exams are in June, I am worried if I don't get C in maths and English :frown: I heard that I can do equivalency test if I don't get C in Christchurch.. Some students are doing GCSE equivalent in mid kent college and I was shocked they are not going full GCSE and they already secured a place at Christ church. Does anyone know if I can do equivalency test??
You might be allowed to do the equiverlancy test if you meet the A-level requirements, but if you dont get a C at gcse maths and get in, I'd recommend working through one of the physics for radiography books in the summer so you can cope with the maths :/
Original post by JammyGit07
You might be allowed to do the equiverlancy test if you meet the A-level requirements, but if you dont get a C at gcse maths and get in, I'd recommend working through one of the physics for radiography books in the summer so you can cope with the maths :/

What if I do well in maths and not in English, will I still be able to do equivalency test for English??
Original post by ChloeBonner
Why would you insure somewhere that's asking for the same grades as your first choice?? That's risky!

I don't have any offers lower than BBB so it would either be the same grade insurance or no insurance at all. It makes sense to have a insurance incase I just miss my grades and if the firm don't take me there's a small chance the insurance might :smile:
Original post by Whyllee
I don't have any offers lower than BBB so it would either be the same grade insurance or no insurance at all. It makes sense to have a insurance incase I just miss my grades and if the firm don't take me there's a small chance the insurance might :smile:

can i insure just incase if i do not get predicted grades in my GCSE?
can i insure just incase if i do not get predicted grades in my GCSE?

Sure if you have another university offer that's not conditional to you getting a C in maths and english, that'd be a good idea :smile:
Original post by Whyllee
Sure if you have another university offer that's not conditional to you getting a C in maths and english, that'd be a good idea :smile:

i have just applied in one university and its conditional offer. i need c grade in both maths and english and i am now worried if i dont get these grades :frown:
Reply 1596
i have just applied in one university and its conditional offer. i need c grade in both maths and english and i am now worried if i dont get these grades :frown:

Hi, I presume you are doing your GCSE Maths and English alongside A levels?
Try not to worry too much, if there are particular areas in those subjects which you are struggling with why don't you speak with your teachers? They may be able to help.
Also, you probably know more than you think and you're panicking a little now the exams are close. Don't be too hard on yourself about this - good luck
aww thats nice of you :smile: i am worried that if i dont get c grades then i can't go to uni this year and i have to reapply next year :'(
Hi All firming BCU

I've created a FB group for us all to get to know each other before the course and to help one another when we start university.

Feel free to add others that will be joining us at BCU for Diagnostic Radiography this year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/253905861482184/

Thanks
Carly
Original post by Black Diamonds
Thank you :smile: Yes I will think about it. I always assumed since MRI
obliviously has a larger radiology department that there would be more opportunities to experience a wider scope but I will look into it more and take your advice on board. I will probably put Bolton as my first choice. Is there any advice you have for anyone starting Salford this year? Any opportunities or activities not to miss in your first year/ freshers week. Thank you a lot for all your help you have been very informative :smile:

Freshers week you are pretty much in 9-5 every day with induction stuff I guess I would just say get stuck in and have fun.. You are kept together as a year for most things n there's only about 55 ish in a year so u can get to know people after a while.. Then u get split into groups of like 10 for PBL and skills lab for the semester

I would say some of the best info I have got is by just listening to or talking to the other years on placement about what they found hard/easy what tips n tricks they were given or learnt themselves..

If u need any help with anything academically such as writing academically or Harvard referencing do the study skills sessions in the first year even tho yeah it does suck doing an Extra hour or so when everyone else is going home early but if u do need help with any of that u will regret not doing it by the time you get to second year and your marks count

Enjoy your summer hols before you start it ain't an easy course n is pretty intense at times but you will be fine and looking back it goes really quickly

Oh and invest in a COMFY pair of placement shoes your feet hurt like hell first few days/weeks haha

Quick Reply

Latest