The Student Room Group

Dresses that suit fat girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Katie_p
Gemma actually looks like she's bigger than a 16, but she's clearly happy with her weight and she seems reasonably healthy.
On that note, she has a range of tops and dresses (can't remember the link but google it OP) which are designed to suit larger ladies.

But generally I agree with you, slim people who are healthy should not be victimised so fat people can feel better about themselves. It's the slim unhealthy people who gripe about fat people that annoy me.

But slim/unhealthy people are basically people with eating issues, so it makes sense that they gripe about being fat because its a genuine fear. They don't do it out of bitter jealousy like overweight people do towards women of a healthy size who get told they're unwomanly or resemble a 'teenage boy'.
Reply 21
Original post by Kateislate
I'm a size 14 top 16 bottom and I'm working on changing it. No "lol wear a tent" comments, I am aware I'm big, hence the title.
On a night out I pretty much ALWAYS wear a skater dress or a tight ish top and a skater skirt, but I'm sick of always wearing the same kind of thing. Any suggestilns for different ste dresses/skirt and top combos I can wear, and affordable (student budget, lol) websites I can get them? Thank you :
xx

You're a size smaller on top than on bottom, like me. My most flattering item of clothing is my peplum top. Have you thought about trying on a fitted peplum dress? Like this....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=667&q=peplum+plus+size&oq=peplum+plus+si&gs_l=img.3.0.0l4j0i5l3j0i24l3.140.4358.0.5142.22.15.4.2.3.0.183.1572.9j6.15.0...0.0...1ac.1.2.img.udAZw0ryKKQ#imgrc=N8S4L6X5LogFmM%3A%3B1i3hwoqkR437xM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffitforaqueenclothing.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2012%252F09%252Fpeplum-plus-size.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffitforaqueenclothing.com%252F2012%252F09%252Ffrom-marie-claire-text-only-plus-size-trends-for-fall-yahoo-4-plus-size-fashion-trends-for-fall-2012%252F%3B678%3B1024

I think it could show off your curves but it hides the muffin top and rolls lol!
Reply 22
Original post by daphodil
But slim/unhealthy people are basically people with eating issues, so it makes sense that they gripe about being fat because its a genuine fear. They don't do it out of bitter jealousy like overweight people do towards women of a healthy size who get told they're unwomanly or resemble a 'teenage boy'.

Some of them are concerned about putting on weight.
But I know a lot of people who eat very unhealthily indeed but don't put on weight, but they still complain about "fatties cramming their faces with burgers and chips" without taking a look at themselves. Their attitude isn't really to do with fear, it's just blind prejudice.

On a side note, I hate how judgemental some people can be. I'm overweight and currently dieting (properly, and successfully) but if I were to give myself a treat and go to Macdonalds (not really my idea of a treat but for the sake of my argument let's suppose I actually enjoy it) there would be people who would automatically judge me based on my size, possibly make rude comments, in some areas even feel that because I'm fat they have a right to abuse me and throw food at me or something like that! Yet I would be going as a one-off, whilst some other people there may visit far more frequently. :/
Unless you know the circumstances of somebody's weight, you should not comment on it. Which covers slim people as much as fat people.
Reply 23
Panelled dresses are usually a good idea as they bring out your curves without making you look too "big" Most people actually prefer bigger girls to twigs so embrace what you have :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Katie_p
Some of them are concerned about putting on weight.
But I know a lot of people who eat very unhealthily indeed but don't put on weight, but they still complain about "fatties cramming their faces with burgers and chips" without taking a look at themselves. Their attitude isn't really to do with fear, it's just blind prejudice.

On a side note, I hate how judgemental some people can be. I'm overweight and currently dieting (properly, and successfully) but if I were to give myself a treat and go to Macdonalds (not really my idea of a treat but for the sake of my argument let's suppose I actually enjoy it) there would be people who would automatically judge me based on my size, possibly make rude comments, in some areas even feel that because I'm fat they have a right to abuse me and throw food at me or something like that! Yet I would be going as a one-off, whilst some other people there may visit far more frequently. :/
Unless you know the circumstances of somebody's weight, you should not comment on it. Which covers slim people as much as fat people.

That's pretty awful! But yes there is a lot of size prejudice, I mean if I saw someone big in macdonalds I would never say anything but I would be lying if I didn't think too myself 'no surprises there then' or something. It seems like the media has switched to the 'curvy' side now (big breasts, small waist and latge hips/bum) yet very few women actually fit that description so it's left society trapped in one giant bitter battle between women being made to feel fat, or like a boy. But yes I do agree that there needs to be a lot more understanding and a lot less weight bashing both ways. And although I get defensive about slim women being bashed by larger women, I know it's not right to bash them back or the cycle will keep going.
Reply 25
That's pretty awful! But yes there is a lot of size prejudice, I mean if I saw someone big in macdonalds I would never say anything but I would be lying if I didn't think too myself 'no surprises there then' or something. It seems like the media has switched to the 'curvy' side now (big breasts, small waist and latge hips/bum) yet very few women actually fit that description so it's left society trapped in one giant bitter battle between women being made to feel fat, or like a boy. But yes I do agree that there needs to be a lot more understanding and a lot less weight bashing both ways. And although I get defensive about slim women being bashed by larger women, I know it's not right to bash them back or the cycle will keep going.

I think it would be much more helpful if we lost the bitchiness. We're all girls for goodness sake....can't we appreciate different body shapes and sizes?

Oh and Marilyn Monroe was a "good size 14", well according to my mums godmother....she was her dresser.

I think it's all relative..I'm very slight, but quite tall. My best friend is a size 16, but is super fit and not overweight at all. She is very athletic, and has a gorgeous figure. Size 16 isn't huge...it all depends on frame, BMI etc.

Good luck with your dress hunt OP.x
Reply 26
Original post by Rybee

I think this one is more flattering?

hampton-7-tent-205-p[ekm]288x216[ekm] (1).jpg

Perhaps you should have not mentioned the tent comment OP...

In all seriousness, this is some good information and what you should be looking for;

Ditch the sack. Body-conscious—but not tight—clothes are always best, whatever your size. A figure hidden in yards of fabric always looks bigger.

Think vertical. Seams, stripes, piping, or a deep V-neck all stretch you out. Be wary of anything horizontal.

Equalize your proportions. Pear shapes should offset a bigger lower half with details that broaden the upper body (flutter sleeves, boat necks); well-endowed women can downsize their busts with simple tops.

Disguise thighs. Minis can be tough because they bisect the leg where it's biggest. I'm a firm believer in skirts that hit at midknee, where your leg is slimmer.

Emphasize your waist. In fact, emphasize all your strongest features. Use color and pattern to bring the gaze to shoulders or good legs (and divert it from other areas).

Avoid flimsy fabrics. Materials like gabardine or stretch cotton—especially in tailored form—give the body structure. Thin fabrics show every bulge.

Invest in shapewear. Suck-you-in lingerie can take off five pounds. And yes, you can breathe with it on.
Reply 27
Original post by Aeliana
I think it would be much more helpful if we lost the bitchiness. We're all girls for goodness sake....can't we appreciate different body shapes and sizes?

Oh and Marilyn Monroe was a "good size 14", well according to my mums godmother....she was her dresser.

I think it's all relative..I'm very slight, but quite tall. My best friend is a size 16, but is super fit and not overweight at all. She is very athletic, and has a gorgeous figure. Size 16 isn't huge...it all depends on frame, BMI etc.

Good luck with your dress hunt OP.x

No. No she's really not. Just go onto google images and see for yourself, she's tiny. You quoted me in a message that wasn't the slightest bit bitchy, but thanks for being so utterly patronising. And size 16 is big, unless the girl is over 6 foot. It's overweight and therefore unhealthy.
Reply 28
Actually Gemma from Towie (surely a size 18+) has brought out a gorg dress in black and red for Valentines day. Dont usually like her range-way too fussy which draws attention to bits you'd rather underplay. Its quite understated and looks v. flattering-give it a try!
Reply 29
No. No she's really not. Just go onto google images and see for yourself, she's tiny. You quoted me in a message that wasn't the slightest bit bitchy, but thanks for being so utterly patronising. And size 16 is big, unless the girl is over 6 foot. It's overweight and therefore unhealthy.

You really need to calm down a little. :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by Ethne
Actually Gemma from Towie (surely a size 18+) has brought out a gorg dress in black and red for Valentines day. Dont usually like her range-way too fussy which draws attention to bits you'd rather underplay. Its quite understated and looks v. flattering-give it a try!

I agree, on both counts.
Original post by EffieFlowers
Don't be foolish. The OP knows she is overweight and is working on it. That size is overweight, the fact that it's average is completely irrelevant.

Good on you OP for actually working on yourself! I like the first dress posted. Good luck with your weight loss. :smile:

I never said she wasn't overweight. I said she wasn't abnormal. Learn to read?
Reply 32
being "overweight" is relative to height and build in addition to mass.
OP has posted none of these, only her dress size,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyymark
being "overweight" is relative to height and build in addition to mass.
OP has posted none of these, only her dress size,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. People are quick to judge. I remember this guy on TSR who argued that a woman who is 5.1ft and size 10 must be fat cos he saw a really skinny person of the same size but much taller. I showed him the pic of me (without face obviously) and explained clothe size depends on every part of the body - bust, hip, waist. Just because she is size 14/16 does not mean she is fat. This is why I gave her the advice based on the info she gave in the first post that her bottom is apparently bigger than top. :P

All slim people have eating issues? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard! By slim do you mean unnaturally skinny? I'm hoping you do...
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I never said she wasn't overweight. I said she wasn't abnormal. Learn to read?

Yes but it came across like you were justifying it to make her, and probably yourself feel better.

Eergh, some of the girls in this thread.... I have no sympathy with overweight, insecure girls who do nothing about their insecurities except dig at slim girls.
Original post by nickibe
Sise 16 is not huge and depends on your height if your even classed as over weight. Good for you if you want to change but you shouldn't feel you have to because some dumb **** said some immature comments. There are loads of gorgeous women with curves, Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 and looked amazing. Guys would rather you be a size 16 and look like a woman than be a 6 and look like a ternage boy. Any dress that pulls in the waist and draws attention to your boobs is a good choice. Heels and gmthe right length of necklace help too. Accessories make a difference to the outfit.

You really think Monroe was a 16?
Original post by Aeliana
You really need to calm down a little. :wink:

Don't be so patronising.
Sorry to sound rude but something that covers up the rolls.

Also, never go for a horizontally stripped dress.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EffieFlowers
Yes but it came across like you were justifying it to make her, and probably yourself feel better.

Eergh, some of the girls in this thread.... I have no sympathy with overweight, insecure girls who do nothing about their insecurities except dig at slim girls.

... I'm a size ten. Try again.

Quick Reply

Latest