The Student Room Group
Depending on the exam board I think not doing unit 3 may affect you significantly.

Unit 3 for (edexcel) chemistry is worth 120/300; that's nearly half. For biology it's worth 100/300. I assume it'll be similar for other exam boards as well.

If it means getting better grades, then yeah, I think you should take it next January. You could even take a gap year if you have to, and apply post a-level. Applying post A-level favours you more because you actually have the grades rather than predictions.
Reply 2
Like Mustard-man says, not doing unit 3 will affect your overall result significantly.

I think you should do the Unit 3 in June because I think it's easier than Unit 1 or 2 (i'm doing edexcel btw), there's not a lot to learn really - mostly graph skills - and if it all goes horribly wrong you can always resit in Jan or take a gap year.

Are you planning on continuing biology next year as well?? If you are, then you might struggle with the workload of having to take unit 3 in Jan as well as unit 4.

You should do what you feel confident with but I bet you'd be surprised at how well you'd do if you did take Unit 3 in june :wink: :smile:
Yes, unit 3 edexcel is quite simple (out of the AS units). You just need a bit of common sense and interpreting data skill. There is of course a few bits to learn, which can be done in a week, it's not a lot.
Reply 4
:ditto: only the nitrogen cycle really to learn which isn't that difficult once you've got your head round it
Actually I'm talking crap, this is what I got:-

Unit 1 = 92%
Unit 2 = 97%
Unit 3 = 60% :redface:
Reply 6
But it would have been unfair if you'd done as well on Unit 3 as on Unit 1 or 2!! 2 amazingly high As and a B (i think) is pretty good.
*starts revising* :redface: :p:
Nah, unit 3 was a C, these are in terms of UMS marks where A = 80%, B = 70% and C = 60%
Reply 8
Ahhhh rite. Still sounds good to me:biggrin:

Thats an A overall right?? It better be! :wink:
Yeah, it is... but I'm resitting unit 3 because A2 is a b*tch
Reply 10
hey mustard man, im doin aqa b and u seem to know quite a bit. do u know wat grade roughly the cwork mark of 5553 isfor aqa b.
thanks
I have no idea for AQA, I'm not even sure of the total mark for the coursework itself.

Check out their website, you might be able to find stuff about grade boundaries in the examiner reports.
Reply 12
yea mustard man and classic im also doing edexcel is the collins book sufficient for unit 3 biology?

Latest

Trending

Trending