The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What does it take for you to retake the year

A combination of bad work ethics and health/medical issues has meant that i am way behind on my course, and even if i manage to pass my year i dont feel like im prepared for 2nd year, especially at the pace that an engineering degree gets to in 2nd year. What i'm asking is what does it take for the uni to allow you to retake the year? Do i need a form explaining my circumstances? Also, i have arranged a house in second year with other people, would i be able to give away that spot to return to halls, in case i do return? Much thanks.
My understanding is that you would need to fail some exams at both first sit and resit. However, this will vary by department, so I would suggest setting up a meeting with your academic adviser to ask them what the procedure is.

If you can find someone to take over your place in your house then you will probably be able to get a place in halls. However, as you have missed the deadline for current students you probably won't find out if / where you have a got a spot until after A Level results day. Everyone I know who has repeated the year / gone from foundation to first year / swapped degrees and restarted on a new programme has gone into the shared house that they signed for. Is there any reason why you couldn't do the same?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
My understanding is that you would need to fail some exams at both first sit and resit. However, this will vary by department, so I would suggest setting up a meeting with your academic adviser to ask them what the procedure is.

If you can find someone to take over your place in your house then you will probably be able to get a place in halls. However, as you have missed the deadline for current students you probably won't find out if / where you have a got a spot until after A Level results day. Everyone I know who has repeated the year / gone from foundation to first year / swapped degrees and restarted on a new programme has gone into the shared house that they signed for. Is there any reason why you couldn't do the same?

I just dont feel like i'd survive second year engineering in the current state i'm in, whether i pass the resits or not. Would they accept that or not if i have a doctor's slip?

I don't know anyone specifically who'd take it up. Is there some other way to find people to live there? Ads or something?? I could go to the house, but i'd prefer to go to halls. I'm not particularly close with the people i'm living with next year. Long story short, i decided to live with them coz they were getting a house after Christmas. All the houses were gone and my friends were dispersed everywhere and were rather unorganised about the housing, so i thought i'd rather have a cheap roof over my head with people i at least know than live in a house where i don't know half the people is some crappy house that was left til late February or something.

Also i know previous foundation years that moved back into halls the next year. No biggie, i'll still see my current peeps.
Original post by 4RealBlud
I just dont feel like i'd survive second year engineering in the current state i'm in, whether i pass the resits or not. Would they accept that or not if i have a doctor's slip?

I don't know anyone specifically who'd take it up. Is there some other way to find people to live there? Ads or something?? I could go to the house, but i'd prefer to go to halls. I'm not particularly close with the people i'm living with next year. Long story short, i decided to live with them coz they were getting a house after Christmas. All the houses were gone and my friends were dispersed everywhere and were rather unorganised about the housing, so i thought i'd rather have a cheap roof over my head with people i at least know than live in a house where i don't know half the people is some crappy house that was left til late February or something.

Also i know previous foundation years that moved back into halls the next year. No biggie, i'll still see my current peeps.

I have no idea of the policies of EPS with regards to retaking the year if you haven't failed - you really will have to speak to your academic tutor about it.

With regards to halls, then if you can get someone to replace you then that's all well and good. However, if you do end up staying in the house then try to make the best of it. I moved into a house with a friend, some of their friends, and some of their friends (friends of friends of friends!) into a house that we found in February. We all get on really well and I've had a fantastic year - I'll be really sad to leave next month.
Reply 4
4RealBlud
A combination of bad work ethics and health/medical issues has meant that i am way behind on my course, and even if i manage to pass my year i dont feel like im prepared for 2nd year, especially at the pace that an engineering degree gets to in 2nd year. What i'm asking is what does it take for the uni to allow you to retake the year? Do i need a form explaining my circumstances? Also, i have arranged a house in second year with other people, would i be able to give away that spot to return to halls, in case i do return? Much thanks.

I can't say what happens in The School of Engineering, but I am from The School of Maths and have known people to retake the year.

As Origami Bullets has said before me, the best person to speak about this stuff to is your academic advisor. That said, if you don't get along with your academic advisor then you can speak to the programme director directly and have it handled that way. In The School of Maths, for example, my programme director is Dr. Ruth Thomas and she is ultimately responsible for matters in these regards.

Alternatively, if you know that you have faced numerous difficulties throughout the semester then it may be a good idea to fill in a mitigating circumstances form. That way they can adjust your marks based on the challenging circumstances you've faced throughout the year. No point retaking the year if you don't have to.

I hope this helps.

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending