The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shelly_x
They arent expecting you to have any more experience than what you need for the PGCE if you're applying for non-salaried schools direct. And you don't need to change your personal statement. I'm currently doing schools direct secondary english.

Ahh thanks for the info. Is there a way that you can attain a PGCE whilst still doing the schools direct?
Original post by Subat
Hi guys. I begin my PGCE work experience tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck. I'm generally a very shy person, I feel like I have overcome this quite a bit in the past few months but I always get awkward on first days/meetings, I don't know how to act and interact properly. If anyone could give me any idea or advice on what the first day of work experience is like I'd really appreciate it. I just don't know what to expect.

It's a 14 day placement, two days a week starting in nursery and ending in year 6. I'm starting tomorrow ate 8:30 with the staff briefing, I have no clue what to expect. Please help! :frown:

I have mine tomorrow too and I don't think I've ever been this scared in my life! I've spent the day trying to google for what to expect and what's expected of me but there really isn't anything. I made myself a list of things to consider while observing (just so I don't look like a useless lump!) but I've managed to leave it at university.
I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere so thought some of you guys may have an answer!

With regard to references, do your referees submit them themselves online? Or do they write them, send them to you and you submit them?
I just wondered how it works because I am anticipating that it is going to be difficult to get hold of both my referees potentially, let alone get them to submit information correctly! (:

Also, with regards to the second reference, I have worked in a school previously running an after-school club so I'm in two minds whether to ask the headteacher there to be my reference or to ask my volunteering mentor (who helped with the organisation of the after-school club and dealt with me throughout the year). Do you think having a reference from an actual school would be an advantage?

So many questions - sorry! (:
Original post by floralteapot
I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere so thought some of you guys may have an answer!

With regard to references, do your referees submit them themselves online? Or do they write them, send them to you and you submit them?
I just wondered how it works because I am anticipating that it is going to be difficult to get hold of both my referees potentially, let alone get them to submit information correctly! (:

Also, with regards to the second reference, I have worked in a school previously running an after-school club so I'm in two minds whether to ask the headteacher there to be my reference or to ask my volunteering mentor (who helped with the organisation of the after-school club and dealt with me throughout the year). Do you think having a reference from an actual school would be an advantage?

So many questions - sorry! (:

They submit them themselves online. They get sent a username and password then log in and complete it. Easy peasy.

Also, I would think having your reference from an actual school would be advantage, so choose that if you can.

I went to see my uni personal tutor
Today to ask if he will be my academic reference and he was a bit odd (never met him before) and just said if I write something rough myself he will give it a read and just use that if it's okay. So I'm basically writing my own reference...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
They submit them themselves online. They get sent a username and password then log in and complete it. Easy peasy.

Also, I would think having your reference from an actual school would be advantage, so choose that if you can.

I went to see my uni personal tutor
Today to ask if he will be my academic reference and he was a bit odd (never met him before) and just said if I write something rough myself he will give it a read and just use that if it's okay. So I'm basically writing my own reference...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That makes sense, I just couldn't seem to find the info anywhere!

I am envisioning the same thing when I get into contact with my old personal tutor. I had him for only my final year, saw the guy once. He won't even know who I am, let alone anything about my academic things apart from my grades. Considering maybe getting in touch with another tutor instead to see if they'll be more helpful.

At least if you write your own you'll know it'll be good! (:
Original post by Descartes93
Ahh thanks for the info. Is there a way that you can attain a PGCE whilst still doing the schools direct?

Many schools direct courses award the PGCE. Upon completion of my course I will get the PGCE qualification and 60 masters credits.
Reply 986
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I have mine tomorrow too and I don't think I've ever been this scared in my life! I've spent the day trying to google for what to expect and what's expected of me but there really isn't anything. I made myself a list of things to consider while observing (just so I don't look like a useless lump!) but I've managed to leave it at university.

Just relax and try to enjoy it. I know it's daunting but you will by no means be the first person to come in on work experience, the teachers at most schools are well used to having people in for observations and volunteering stuff. It might feel as though all eyes are on you but I promise that won't be the case, teachers won't find anything out of the ordinary about having you around, they'll be used to it. If teaching is something you really want to do then it will show! And as far as knowing what's expected of you - most schools will have some sort of schedule arranged for you so don't worry. Just make sure you're friendly, enthusiastic and willing to get stuck in and I'm sure you'll end up having a great two weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what time the applications open on the 21st?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks

Hi I didn't see your message last night. I know exactly how you feel, I couldn't sleep last night because of nerves! Are you doing Primary or Secondary? I'm doing Primary and despite my nerves I had a really good time today. I got some helpful advice from the teachers, was allowed to help with some marking, spent some time with a girl who had learning difficulties, she doesn't usually speak and their target for her for the week was to get her to talk and interact with other kids, while I was doing nursery rhymes with some of the kids she came and joined in which was amazing.

I hope yours went well too :smile:
Original post by Descartes93
You're welcome :smile: On the first lesson I asked the teacher if it would be okay for me to go around the class and talk to some of the kids and she was more than happy for me to do so, in fact she encouraged it which is what most teachers will do. Towards the end, I just stopped asking the teachers and started doing my own thing because I felt comfortable enough to do so (you will do too!)

At lunch, another teacher had bought me some food from the canteen and took me up to the staffroom and just asked me how my day was/general talk and then because you're new most teachers will come up to you and see how you're doing :smile: they were all once newbies so don't worry they know exactly how you feel! If you feel really awakward though or if no-one seems to be talking, just get your phone out and occupy yourself with that lol :tongue: Xx

Thank-You so much for all your advice you helped me out a lot:hugs:

You were completely right about everything. The teachers were more than happy for me to get stuck in, and definitely encouraged it. I had a good time interacting with both the kids and teachers.
3rd year student applying for Secondary MFL.

Experience so far:

- Foreign Language Assistant: 4 hours per week. I will be doing this for the whole academic year. They told they would give me a reference.

I am also thinking of getting some more experience thought School Experience Programme.

Is this enough experience or should I also get the extra experience below?

Extra: I have been offered the chance to read with young people in a school to help them in in the areas of literacy and motivatio. One hour per week for the whole academic year. They told they would give me a reference.

Should I get the Extra or no? To note, that I already have all references I will need for my PGCE application (from the FLA volunteering and my university tutor) so if I do more volunteering I want to it if it will significantly benefit/strengthen my application.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 991
Apart from the tests, work experience and references, is there anything else we can do in order to prepare for the PGCE application form?

I'm sure there's a personal statement of some sort, is it similar to the statement we wrote for UG UCAS forms?
Original post by Caina
Apart from the tests, work experience and references, is there anything else we can do in order to prepare for the PGCE application form?

I'm sure there's a personal statement of some sort, is it similar to the statement we wrote for UG UCAS forms?

The personal statement is the same length as the UCAS one.
You should mention:
Why you want to teach (specifically why the age range and subject you've chosen). Avoid cliches such as because it's what you've always wanted to do.
What you've learnt about teaching/learning from you experience.
How your degree relates to the national curriculum.
Original post by Juichiro
3rd year student applying for Secondary MFL.

Experience so far:

- Foreign Language Assistant: 4 hours per week. I will be doing this for the whole academic year. They told they would give me a reference.

I am also thinking of getting some more experience thought School Experience Programme.

Is this enough experience or should I also get the extra experience below?

Extra: I have been offered the chance to read with young people in a school to help them in in the areas of literacy and motivatio. One hour per week for the whole academic year. They told they would give me a reference.

Should I get the Extra or no? To note, that I already have all references I will need for my PGCE application (from the FLA volunteering and my university tutor) so if I do more volunteering I want to it if it will significantly benefit/strengthen my application.

For one hour a week then you might as well. Any extra experience will benefit your application.
Reply 994
I've managed to get some classroom experience sorted, but I'm talking to the teacher this week about what I want to get from it. So what is the ideal scenario for 2 weeks classroom experience? I'm not really sure what you do in it. Also, is 2 weeks (i.e 10 working days) enough and would it be ok to be completed in 2 seprate weeks. getting fortnight off work might be tough. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Shelly_x
For one hour a week then you might as well. Any extra experience will benefit your application.

Thanks! Is the experience I outlined in my previous post enough?
Original post by Juichiro
Thanks! Is the experience I outlined in my previous post enough?

If the language assistant role is in a secondary school then yes.
Original post by gategate
I've managed to get some classroom experience sorted, but I'm talking to the teacher this week about what I want to get from it. So what is the ideal scenario for 2 weeks classroom experience? I'm not really sure what you do in it. Also, is 2 weeks (i.e 10 working days) enough and would it be ok to be completed in 2 seprate weeks. getting fortnight off work might be tough. :s-smilie:

Yes two separate weeks is fine. They aren't fussy.
Do things like shadowing a pupil for a day, shadowing a teacher for a day, helping out in lessons, looking through their books.
I'm struggling to phrase why I've chosen secondary age range. To be blunt, I just can't handle the younger ages, they are a bit too young! I like how in secondary they are in the transition of becoming young adults and it's nice to play a role in their development. Not to mention I wanted to teach r.e and only r.e. I don't fancy the wide curriculum of primary. All these reasons are too blunt though so I'm trying to sugar coat them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I'm struggling to phrase why I've chosen secondary age range. To be blunt, I just can't handle the younger ages, they are a bit too young! I like how in secondary they are in the transition of becoming young adults and it's nice to play a role in their development. Not to mention I wanted to teach r.e and only r.e. I don't fancy the wide curriculum of primary. All these reasons are too blunt though so I'm trying to sugar coat them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what's wrong with that! Just tell the truth:

"I prefer working with older children as I enjoy teaching pupils who are in the transition of becoming young adults. My passion is RE... etc"

Sounds fine, it's blunt but to the point which is the errr.. point!

Latest

Trending

Trending