The Student Room Group

How to get a B in GCSE History and an A in GCSE Maths?

I have two GCSE History exams in the next month. One about Germany during WW1 and the other about Britain from around 1890-1920. What's the best way to revise for these exams to get a B overall?

Then I have two Linear GCSE Maths exams, one non-calculator and one calculator that each make up 50% of my final GCSE. How do I go about revising for this to get an A?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply 1
My advice would be to read your content for history and make lots of mind maps. Write out your key facts and drill them into you head. Talk to your wall- it can't answer back and it will not judge you. It really just depends on your learning style but this really helps me. And don't leave your desk/ room until you have learned what you set out that morning.

And since you have so much time, you should be able to fit in a ton of past paper practice :biggrin:. And the same for maths too, practice really does make perfect :smile:.

Oh and don't worry too much about your GSCEs...it is AS and A levels which you really need to worry about!
Reply 2
How good are your notes for History? For that one, if you have notes that cover everything - and by notes I refer to teacher notes as student notes are hardly ever adequate enough - then you'll find it easy enough to get a high mark. Just memorise all your notes and cram it in.

For maths - that one depends more on how good you are at the moment. You'll probably get similar to what you were working at currently, usually with good revision half a grade to a grade higher than that. The best revision I found for it is the CGP revision book- I went over everything in the book and made sure I understood it, and the exam was easy.
Reply 3
I've posted this in the GCSE forum. Before you make a thread, please check it's in the right area :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xoJennyox
My advice would be to read your content for history and make lots of mind maps. Write out your key facts and drill them into you head. Talk to your wall- it can't answer back and it will not judge you. It really just depends on your learning style but this really helps me. And don't leave your desk/ room until you have learned what you set out that morning.

And since you have so much time, you should be able to fit in a ton of past paper practice :biggrin:. And the same for maths too, practice really does make perfect :smile:.

Oh and don't worry too much about your GSCEs...it is AS and A levels which you really need to worry about!

The reason I'm worried is because the college I have a placed reserved for tells me I need 5 GCSE's at B or above to get in, so far I have a 4 B's in IT which I think counts as one, an A in English and a B in Travel and Tourism. I have a B in Maths but want an A as I'm doing it in A-Level and I also need a B in History to get 5 overall.

I don't think I got a B in my Art and only got C's in Science and I think R.E doesn't count despite getting a B in that so I'm really worrying at the moment in case my college doesn't let me off and I have to go to a rubbish college where I'll be alone.
Reply 5
No idea about history but for maths, cram in as many past papers as you can as most of the questions are the same. If you're stuck, look to YouTube. I recommend maths247 or jayates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest