The Student Room Group

do you have to put all grades on your cv?

I'm just writing my CV now, but I didn't get great grades at A-level (CCD) and AS level (C).
I got good grades at GCSE (all A*-B), a 2.1 in my degree and am currently studying for my masters.
I'm just wondering if it would look worse if I left my A level grades off because they would assume to worst?

What would be best, I don't want my bad grades to hold me back? :/
In theory you don't have to include anything you don't want to on your CV. Perhaps it would be best to just gloss over your A levels and just write 'three A levels in ... , ... and ...' and not mention the grades. However, if you do this it would look rather suspicious if you had put your GCSE grades in - so you would have to use the same format for your GCSEs. Tbh though, employers will be more interested in your degree surely (I don't know much though, only an A level student myself...) - unless you are applying for a job which is more related to your A level subjects than your degree perhaps, but I doubt this is the case. If you are unsure, perhaps just write them as a very short section of your CV somewhere not too noticeable...
I would talk to someone at your uni careers department about it - they have more of an idea about what employers think than us!
Reply 2
In short, no you don't but it would look a bit weird if you don't.

Instead maybe put the grades and then mention your positive change and increase in achievement/grades in the cover letter/application form.
Original post by bahhhh

I'm just wondering if it would look worse if I left my A level grades off because they would assume to worst?

You shouldn't put your GCSE grades on a graduate CV unless specifically asked. An employer will usually expect to see A level grades, but if they aren't on there, they will assume they are 'bad', it depends on the individual of course, but worse than CCC approximately. Yours were, so if you put them on you remove doubt, it you leave them off there is doubt. I'd go with leaving them off. If an employer wants to know, they'll ask.
I'm currently studying a BTEC which is known as the newly introduced 'Business Cambridge Technical Level 3' course in my FIRST YEAR and is equivalent to two grades (DD/MM/PP). I wanted to know that if I were to complete one years worth of the qualification and went on to studying A Levels the next academic year, would I need to include the given grade for this particular course on my CV in the future?
Yes you do because the more grades you have the more chance of getting a job
Original post by bahhhh
I'm just writing my CV now, but I didn't get great grades at A-level (CCD) and AS level (C).
I got good grades at GCSE (all A*-B), a 2.1 in my degree and am currently studying for my masters.

Just use your 2:1, leave the rest off, adding your GCSE grades will only draw attention to the lack of grades on your A levels.
Reply 7
Original post by Durham Jaide
Yes you do because the more grades you have the more chance of getting a job

That's just ridiculous. Omitting bad grades will put you in a better position than adding the 3 Es you achieved in German, Design and Art.

It's also not uncommon to have multiple CVs where you may omit a degree qualification as well.
Original post by TheSombreSeer
I'm currently studying a BTEC which is known as the newly introduced 'Business Cambridge Technical Level 3' course in my FIRST YEAR and is equivalent to two grades (DD/MM/PP). I wanted to know that if I were to complete one years worth of the qualification and went on to studying A Levels the next academic year, would I need to include the given grade for this particular course on my CV in the future?

No you don't need to.
At the stage you are at now, you don't have to. Any work experience you have had up to now will take full prime space alongside your both your Masters and your Undergraduate degree. Listing every you have ever achieved will take up valuable room and since you only have two pages to sell yourself well for a job, this will not help you.

What I would do is talk about particular modules you have completed at university, your dissertation, what skills you learnt (such as prioritising tasks, presentations etc.) and bullet point these. It depends on the role you go for but you can swap around what skills you highlight from what you have done in education; basically, tailor your CV.

Just to give an example, I have my degree at the top with my classification, subject etc., then my list of skills and any relevant modules, then for A-Levels I list subject and grade and GCSEs just by how many including English and Maths. This takes up approximately one quarter of a page and so leaves lots of good room to pick skills out of a job description and use them under a skills section and to write relevant work experience and responsibilities.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending