The Student Room Group

Men: What does it mean when a guy says this?

Have been on several dates with this guy. We talked about what we're looking for in dating at the moment and this is what he said:

i said that i wanted to see how things worked out, which is true, but I also don't want to hurt you in the future, so what I'm trying to say is that I can't commit to something now, I can't say yes I'll be around forever, I may be but I can't say for definite, i don't have the intention of this being short term, or dating or long-term I want to take it as it goes, and at the same time I don't want to promise something now that I may break in the future

What do you think he means by this? Thing is I kind of like him now and might fall for him. I don't want to hang around for ages waiting for him to make up his mind about what he wants. This is confusing for me. Should I date other people?

- Anon (because someone he knows might see this)
Reply 1
Exactly what it says. He won't say; "I want this to last forever" because life happens, and circumstance changes.

Women love looking for hidden meanings in every sentence. When it comes to dealing with men, take what they say on face value. We are a bit simpler on average, what we say doesn't have a thousand different meanings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's being honest which is a good thing and saying that it's not set in stone he'll be able to be there forever. Chances are he will, but all sorts of unforeseen circumstances could get in the way.
Reply 3
Original post by Alpharius
Exactly what it says. He won't say; "I want this to last forever" because life happens, and circumstance changes.

Women love looking for hidden meanings in every sentence. When it comes to dealing with men, take what they say on face value. We are a bit simpler on average, what we say doesn't have a thousand different meanings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, completely this. OP, wouldn't you rather he be honest and say the future isn't definite as opposed to saying he'll never leave you, and he'll be with you forever etc...then in a years time you're not together? As Alpharius stated, things change. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue things with this guy. He obviously likes you and wants to commit in some way, just see how things go.
If you've only been on a few dates with him it seems to me what he's saying is that he's not sure if he wants to pursue things or not. What the reason for that may be I'm not sure I'm just speaking from experience as I've said a similar thing to a girl, at the time we were seeing each other but I knew my heart wasn't in it and she liked me more than I liked her.
Reply 5
My previous relationship ended up in me developing really strong feelings for him and eventually falling for him...whilst he, for some reason, struggled to develop strong feelings out of the fear of hurting me...and it all ended disastrously.

So my advice is - Don't date or get into a relationship with somebody who is unsure. Because, you will end up getting hurt...a lot. It's not worth it.
Reply 6
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
If you've only been on a few dates with him it seems to me what he's saying is that he's not sure if he wants to pursue things or not. What the reason for that may be I'm not sure I'm just speaking from experience as I've said a similar thing to a girl, at the time we were seeing each other but I knew my heart wasn't in it and she liked me more than I liked her.

Thanks. Yeah I think this is probably quite likely to be the case. If he's unsure now, is it likely that won't change? Please be honest. :smile: Yeah I don't now - I'm happy that at least it's not the other way around as I'd not like it if he was too eager. That would look suspicious.

Is it a good idea never to bring up this topic of conversation again and just focus on enjoying spending some time with him? I'm think I won't bring it up at all. But I have one rule never to have sex with this guy unless I know his heart's into me. I don't want to keep asking him about it because that'll just push him away.

Thanks everyone else for your replies also.
Reply 7
He wants to have his fun then bugger off. That's what I read.
Reply 8
Original post by LizMrg
So my advice is - Don't date or get into a relationship with somebody who is unsure. Because, you will end up getting hurt...a lot. It's not worth it.

See this is what I'm thinking might happen so I'm wanting to hold back. I can't work out from what he said, whether he means he doesn't have commitment in his mind in general, or whether he's just not sure whether he's into me.

He told me he's worried about performance (he's a virgin, I'm not). And then he said:

okay this may sound a bit big headed, but if we did become a couple, and somewhere down the line, I wanted to break up, that would hurt you if the break up wasn't mutual, likewise if you decided down the line that I wasn't for you, then I think I'd be hurt.

Heck I am probably over-analysing this.

I'm going to focus on other stuff in my life over the next few days. I have lots of fun stuff to do and there's no way I'm getting oneitis with him.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Yeah I think this is probably quite likely to be the case. If he's unsure now, is it likely that won't change? Please be honest. :smile: Yeah I don't now - I'm happy that at least it's not the other way around as I'd not like it if he was too eager. That would look suspicious.

Is it a good idea never to bring up this topic of conversation again and just focus on enjoying spending some time with him? I'm think I won't bring it up at all. But I have one rule never to have sex with this guy unless I know his heart's into me. I don't want to keep asking him about it because that'll just push him away.

Thanks everyone else for your replies also.

Yeah hate to sound pessimistic but sometimes us guys will often try to just act disinterested rather than just being honest with the girl...sadly sometimes it's easier to let yourselves drift apart rather than say to her that you're not interested, it sucks but girls do it too I guess. But all I would say is that I'm sometimes good at analyzing other guys messages to find the hidden meaning :biggrin:

Also just a random question, is he the kind of girl who guys generally like? E.g does he have a lot of girl mates or usually get a fair amount of attention?

I would say don't put too much pressure on him and have a laugh, believe me if he likes you it will become clear and there's no reason he couldn't change his mind/become more attracted to you maybe once you've spent some more time together?
Reply 10
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
Also just a random question, is he the kind of girl who guys generally like? E.g does he have a lot of girl mates or usually get a fair amount of attention?

I would say don't put too much pressure on him and have a laugh, believe me if he likes you it will become clear and there's no reason he couldn't change his mind/become more attracted to you maybe once you've spent some more time together?

I like how you said us girls do it too. It puts things into perspective for me. And maybe I have pulled that one on guys as well. Okay I feel better now because I can hardly feel bad for him saying something that I've said to guys before. And if one person isn't that interested, it wouldn't really work...so in that sense the outcome is out of my control.

No I don't think he's the type of guy who gets a lot of attention, although he does have a few female friends. Well he took the risk of opening up to me, told me he hasn't been long term with any girl before because he's asked them out and they've said no, or he hasn't got a second date. He even told me that I'm the first girl he's kissed which made me think hehe

But yeah I know what you mean. I like that he's unsure in some sense because he means he's got a brain and not wanting to date someone out of desperation. But he told me that his friends have told him that he's too picky.
Reply 11
Original post by eliza.anne
This, completely this. OP, wouldn't you rather he be honest and say the future isn't definite as opposed to saying he'll never leave you, and he'll be with you forever etc...then in a years time you're not together? As Alpharius stated, things change. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue things with this guy. He obviously likes you and wants to commit in some way, just see how things go.

Being a man, who has said similar things, many times... It genuinely means he is enjoying freedom and playing the field, but it also says that he has a conscience and doesn't want to hurt anyone, but it still is a 'get out clause'.

However the last time i said something similar, was 3 years ago and i'm still very happy in the same relationship.
Reply 12
He doesn't want you to become all crazy and obsessive... Which I imagine you are due to starting a thread about it on TSR.
I like how you said us girls do it too. It puts things into perspective for me. And maybe I have pulled that one on guys as well. Okay I feel better now because I can hardly feel bad for him saying something that I've said to guys before. And if one person isn't that interested, it wouldn't really work...so in that sense the outcome is out of my control.

No I don't think he's the type of guy who gets a lot of attention, although he does have a few female friends. Well he took the risk of opening up to me, told me he hasn't been long term with any girl before because he's asked them out and they've said no, or he hasn't got a second date. He even told me that I'm the first girl he's kissed which made me think hehe

But yeah I know what you mean. I like that he's unsure in some sense because he means he's got a brain and not wanting to date someone out of desperation. But he told me that his friends have told him that he's too picky.

Lol yeah all sounds like familiar stuff...if you're the first girl he's properly been with he's maybe just a bit nervous about messing it up we've all been there. I can honestly say in my teens I was mostly a clueless chump, but it's all a learning curve. But yeah hope it all goes well for you! :smile:
It means he doesn't like you enough to commit fully, so he's still going to date you, but warning you he might flake out later on.
Reply 15
Original post by Steezy
He doesn't want you to become all crazy and obsessive... Which I imagine you are due to starting a thread about it on TSR.

Thanks for your humour. I appreciate it. :smile:

Oh dear God, I hope I'm not becoming obsessive. I think I'll scale back a bit with expectations (but not to the point of forgetting my own needs), I'll be less eager with returning contact etc just to give him space. I 've made a few mistakes, but I'll just keep it cool for now.
See this is what I'm thinking might happen so I'm wanting to hold back. I can't work out from what he said, whether he means he doesn't have commitment in his mind in general, or whether he's just not sure whether he's into me.

He told me he's worried about performance (he's a virgin, I'm not). And then he said:

Heck I am probably over-analysing this.

I'm going to focus on other stuff in my life over the next few days. I have lots of fun stuff to do and there's no way I'm getting oneitis with him.

Reason he's saying convoluted stuff like that is he's inexperienced with relationships. He thinks it's going to be a contract where he has to set out terms beforehand because he's heard you shouldn't deceive a girl, that will break her heart. That's why he won't say "I think this is forever", a normal guy might say that and then break up with you in the future anyway as people know feelings change, but he doesn't know that yet.

He's over-analysing it too. Reassure him and enjoy the present.
Reply 17
Okay I really think I'm sounding like a clinger here so I better pull back a bit. Whoa!

I can see what you're all getting at with your replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending