The Student Room Group

2:1 from Southbank - Realistic Posgraduate Courses/Institutions?

I managed to obtain a 2:1 from London South Bank this year, and am presently in the process of applying for postgraduate study.

I was wondering however, if obtaining a 2:1 from a university such as South Bank, given it's low league table ranking and reputation, is the same as a 2:1 from more reputable institutions. Though I could have opted for "better" universities outside of London, I was adamant I wanted to live in the capital, which forced my hand somewhat.

I am optimistically applying for a place at UCL for example, though am slightly concerned that they might not consider my 2:1 as sturdy as from other universities.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or can possibly shed a more informed light on the matter? I sadly don't have any friends that have applied successfully for postgraduate study with a 2:1 from a similarly ranked institution...
Reply 1
If they ask for a 2.1, you have as much of a shot as anyone else applying with a 2.1 - they don't care which university you got your degree from.
Reply 2
I got a 2.1 from Staffordshire University (fairly low ranking) and have been accepted onto a masters at the university of Birmingham. So I would imagine you have a good chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wiwyum

I was wondering however, if obtaining a 2:1 from a university such as South Bank, given it's low league table ranking and reputation, is the same as a 2:1 from more reputable institutions.

Taken collectively, not as many 2.1 holders get to highly ranked institutions from low ranked institutions as students already from highly ranked institutions do. However, on an individual basis, then you can take a shot at any institution. Postgrad applications tend to be scrutinised in much more detail than undergrad, it is a more tailored process and less of a system based around volume. So if you have a strong research proposal, strong recommendations, a good academic record etc then you should apply to wherever you want to.
Reply 4
Original post by Wiwyum
I managed to obtain a 2:1 from London South Bank this year, and am presently in the process of applying for postgraduate study.

I was wondering however, if obtaining a 2:1 from a university such as South Bank, given it's low league table ranking and reputation, is the same as a 2:1 from more reputable institutions. Though I could have opted for "better" universities outside of London, I was adamant I wanted to live in the capital, which forced my hand somewhat.

I am optimistically applying for a place at UCL for example, though am slightly concerned that they might not consider my 2:1 as sturdy as from other universities.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or can possibly shed a more informed light on the matter? I sadly don't have any friends that have applied successfully for postgraduate study with a 2:1 from a similarly ranked institution...

Most uni's do not care where you got your degree as long as it is in a relevant subject and you got at least a 2:1. So you should be fine for applying to 'better' Uni's. The only thing to look out for is certain Uni's (such as Warwick) will automatically add another year to the course length due to the Uni you went to. However I would say go to the open days they offer for postgrads for all Unis you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending