The Student Room Group

Is there a risk in replying to an unknown text message?

Got a text the other day someone inviting me to a birthday party, I changed phones recently and thought it may be someone I knew but I didn't have their number stored so I replied asking who it was... and got a reply saying it was an accidental text. Didn't respond after that.

Got a text a couple of hours later saying: "Confirmation: You set up a new bill payment on 07/08 at 09:40 from an account ending **** (4 numbers, don't even have an account ending in that) For queries please call 08457203040 or +441132421984 from abroad" -- this was from the same number and after googling it turns out to be a legit Halifax number... but I don't understand why it was sent from the same number as the first text, this was also sent on 19/8 so if it was legit I don't know why it would be 12 days late...

Anyway today I got another text from the same number basically acting like they know me again...

I was wondering if I could've triggered anything by responding to the first text... I checked my bill and wasn't charged anything for it so I'm not sure. Is it possible for fraudsters to do anything with just a response from a number?? :s-smilie:

The number starts: +44773743 if it means anything.

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by reco111
Got a text the other day someone inviting me to a birthday party, I changed phones recently and thought it may be someone I knew but I didn't have their number stored so I replied asking who it was... and got a reply saying it was an accidental text. Didn't respond after that.

Got a text a couple of hours later saying: "Confirmation: You set up a new bill payment on 07/08 at 09:40 from an account ending **** (4 numbers, don't even have an account ending in that) For queries please call 08457203040 or +441132421984 from abroad" -- this was from the same number and after googling it turns out to be a legit Halifax number... but I don't understand why it was sent from the same number as the first text, this was also sent on 19/8 so if it was legit I don't know why it would be 12 days late...

Anyway today I got another text from the same number basically acting like they know me again...

I was wondering if I could've triggered anything by responding to the first text... I checked my bill and wasn't charged anything for it so I'm not sure. Is it possible for fraudsters to do anything with just a response from a number?? :s-smilie:

The number starts: +44773743 if it means anything.

Thanks.

Generally I never reply to spam text messages, if you don't ignore them, I think the telemarketing companies add your number to a large database of active cell numbers.
Reply 2
If you're concerned, phone your bank (preferably their fraud department) and check that nothing has been set up on your account. You can then do the same with your phone provider, and check no charges have been somehow set up.

It's massively unlikely that anything has, but if you're concerned it will only take a few minutes and give you the peace of mind :smile:.
Reply 3
Someone may have accidentally done a typo when giving his/her number :L
Reply 4
Or....
They know you but a mindf**king you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending