The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Am I good enough to apply to QMUL? IS IT WORTH A SHOT? HELP ME PLEASE.

I did okay in GCSEs. Average. Couple of A*s and As & a few Cs and Bs.

For AS Levels, I do Law, History, English (lit&lang) and Philosophy.

My target grades were ABBC. But, I achieved below that. I recieved BCDE (dropping the E, can't believe I did that bad) even though I am dropping law, I am going to retake that exam again and boost that AS to a C. Maybe do an EPQ also.

Thing is, I knew EVERYTHING. But I just ruined my performance in the exam due to pressure. I completely lost it. I had overworked my brain and it wasn't working well at all. Doesn't help that I have depression. I am so pissed off with myself. :mad:

I want to go to QMUL to do joint honours in English & History. I am predicted AAB/ABB this year, which is their entry requirements. I am determined to achieve this. Even my teachers said they expected more from me. :/

I really want to go QMUL, do you think I should still apply or will they refuse to look at me? Are they really hard to get into? Do Unis look at the predicted grades for 2014 August? My friend said she applied to Hull University with Us in AS but pushed them up as seen in her predicted grades and did a really good personal statement..

I'm really stuck and upset. Help and advice please guys? :confused:
Reply 1
ANYTHING is worth a shot. You have five different choices of course when you apply via UCAS. Offers often tend to be based on your personal statement and predicted grades- as long as you explain in your personal statement why you didn't do as well in your AS exams as expected, and that you are planning to resit the modules you messed up, they shouldn't write you off as a matter of course. If you can get ABB or higher, there is no reason why QMUL shouldn't make you a conditional offer. Universities aren't just looking for people who are capable or enthusiastic about their intended degree subjects- they want well-rounded individuals. My advice is to get your application in ASAP. Have first and second drafts of your personal statement written and proof-read by your teachers by the start of October. Don't stress out or let exams throw you off, because if you enjoy and are good at your subjects, an exam is nothing more than your opportunity to demonstrate this fact to the examiner :-D
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
If your target grades are what they ask for, then I guarantee you'll get an offer! My target grades were ABC this year and I got an offer from an ABB uni before I decided to redo a year! You'll get your offer :')
Original post by lucindaellaaa
If your target grades are what they ask for, then I guarantee you'll get an offer! My target grades were ABC this year and I got an offer from an ABB uni before I decided to redo a year! You'll get your offer :')

What Uni was this, may I ask? :smile:

Those are really good grades btw!
Original post by MinkyBrain
ANYTHING is worth a shot. You have five different choices of course when you apply via UCAS. Offers often tend to be based on your personal statement and predicted grades- as long as you explain in your personal statement why you didn't do as well in your AS exams as expected, and that you are planning to resit the modules you messed up, they shouldn't write you off as a matter of course. If you can get ABB or higher, there is no reason why QMUL shouldn't make you a conditional offer. Universities aren't just looking for people who are capable or enthusiastic about their intended degree subjects- they want well-rounded individuals. My advice is to get your application in ASAP. Have first and second drafts of your personal statement written and proof-read by your teachers by the start of October. Don't stress out or let exams throw you off, because if you enjoy and are good at your subjects, an exam is nothing more than your opportunity to demonstrate this fact to the examiner :-D

Do you think QMUL is hard to get into? My friend got rejected last year..

Also, if I mention why I didn't do as good, won't they assume I am just moaning?

Thanks for the answer. Appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Utterly-confused
What Uni was this, may I ask? :smile:

Those are really good grades btw!

Both Southampton and Nottingham :smile: I turned them down to redo the year of course, but the Universities look at Predictions more so than your actual AS grades, as they know you can get them higher etc. Plus on the UCAS application, you put which ones you're resitting, so they can see that you're working to get better grades. Plus an excellent personal statement and reference really helps.

Don't worry about your AS' because you know how well you can do in your A2s and your resits. You'll get your offer, and work your ass off until you get there. Guarantee you'll get a place :-)
Do you think QMUL is hard to get into? My friend got rejected last year..

Also, if I mention why I didn't do as good, won't they assume I am just moaning?

Thanks for the answer. Appreciated. :smile:

You can't say how hard a Uni is to get into. It depends on SOOOO many things. Number of applicants, the applicants you are competing against grades, but you also must take into account that they HAVE to give people offers who they don't think will reach it/lower predictions otherwise they don't get funding etc. And also, just because your friend got rejected, doesn't mean you will, a different course I assume? Depends on the course as well.

There is no harm in trying, and if it's your DREAM uni and you're going for the place and not the course, there is nothing wrong with redoing a year, like myself :-)
Reply 7
One of my mates got similar AS grades. He pulled it together at A2 and is off to QMUL this year.

It can be done. It all depends on you.
Original post by Exon
One of my mates got similar AS grades. He pulled it together at A2 and is off to QMUL this year.

It can be done. It all depends on you.

Was his personal statement really good?
Thanks for the hope. :smile:
Reply 9
Was his personal statement really good?
Thanks for the hope. :smile:

I can't remember it. Sorry. :frown:

He didn't do a ton of extra-curricular stuff if that's what you're asking. He did get predicted ABB though which was probably important.
Reply 10
I did okay in GCSEs. Average. Couple of A*s and As & a few Cs and Bs.

For AS Levels, I do Law, History, English (lit&lang) and Philosophy.

My target grades were ABBC. But, I achieved below that. I recieved BCDE (dropping the E, can't believe I did that bad) even though I am dropping law, I am going to retake that exam again and boost that AS to a C. Maybe do an EPQ also.

Thing is, I knew EVERYTHING. But I just ruined my performance in the exam due to pressure. I completely lost it. I had overworked my brain and it wasn't working well at all. Doesn't help that I have depression. I am so pissed off with myself. :mad:

I want to go to QMUL to do joint honours in English & History. I am predicted AAB/ABB this year, which is their entry requirements. I am determined to achieve this. Even my teachers said they expected more from me. :/

I really want to go QMUL, do you think I should still apply or will they refuse to look at me? Are they really hard to get into? Do Unis look at the predicted grades for 2014 August? My friend said she applied to Hull University with Us in AS but pushed them up as seen in her predicted grades and did a really good personal statement..

I'm really stuck and upset. Help and advice please guys? :confused:

Definitely worth a go. It's a good university, so any conditional offer you would get from them would be designed to stretch you to ensure you're achieving at a level they feel prepares you well for a course there. As others have already said, universities will look at your application holistically, so do ensure that your PS really reflects your interests in that particular course, and do put a small paragraph in outlining your outside interests. (Though not too much.) Your teachers, moreover, should be able to give you excellent advice when it comes to how to approach the UCAS application and successfully navigate its various elements. At all times, keep in mind why you want to take that particular course and let that motivate you for your A2s. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending