The Student Room Group

Can I still hope to become a doctor??? Reply asap plz choosing courses...

I really want to have a career in medicine , but I have noticed that uni's such as the University of Birmingham require 5 A* or more which I do not have. I just want to really know in what kind of Universities I could enter with my results . If I achieve As and A*s at A level, Here are my results. English : AEnglish Literature : BMaths : A Physics : BBiology : BChemistry : BR. E : AGeography : BHistory : BGerman : BComputing : D :smile:Btec Sports : PassBtec Business Studies : Pass
Reply 1
Your GCSE results in reality are not strong enough for someone to do medicine. It is very competitive and it is important to be realistic. You will need A*s at GCSE which you don't have and you only have a few As..
Maybe take the biomed route.
Reply 2
Original post by doctordee
Your GCSE results in reality are not strong enough for someone to do medicine. It is very competitive and it is important to be realistic. You will need A*s at GCSE which you don't have and you only have a few As..Maybe take the biomed route.
Do you really think there is no hope for me even if I get As and A*s btw I am going to King Edwards VI Aston Grammar Sixth form will going there help my application to Uni's.
Reply 3
Original post by shockwaver33
Do you really think there is no hope for me even if I get As and A*s btw I am going to King Edwards VI Aston Grammar Sixth form will going there help my application to Uni's.

I am sorry but your grades just aren't there.
My older sister got all As at GCSE. No Bs and no A*s and she was rejected even though she was predicted A*AA. You need to realise how competitive Medicine is and how hard A-Levels are, I think you are seriously underestimating how they are.

Going to a good college will actually count against you, not for you. So you'd in theory have to do better than other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by doctordee
I am sorry but your grades just aren't there.My older sister got all As at GCSE. No Bs and no A*s and she was rejected even though she was predicted A*AA. You need to realise how competitive Medicine is and how hard A-Levels are, I think you are seriously underestimating how they are.
Thanks ,however I will strive to achieve what I want to achieve all is possible by the will of God.
What subjects are you taking? You may find chemistry and biology pretty difficult if you got Bs at GCSE :/ but work hard to get the grades, there may be some unis who are more lenient with gsces but you'd have to look into that, maybe nearer the time cus requirements change! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I really want to have a career in medicine , but I have noticed that uni's such as the University of Birmingham require 5 A* or more which I do not have. I just want to really know in what kind of Universities I could enter with my results . If I achieve As and A*s at A level, Here are my results. English : AEnglish Literature : BMaths : A Physics : BBiology : BChemistry : BR. E : AGeography : BHistory : BGerman : BComputing : D :smile:Btec Sports : PassBtec Business Studies : Pass

Take a look at this page:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

You should apply carefully to medical schools which place little emphasis on GCSE results e.g. Aberdeen. But you should also think about how you can improve your study techniques so you can do better in your A levels :smile:
Reply 8

Medicine is not out of the question for you; with excellent AS grades/A2 predictions, a good personal statement, a good UKCAT score, etc. and by applying strategically, you may be able to obtain a place. :smile:
There are some medical schools which do not place a heavy weight (or even any weight) on GCSE's, so investigate those :smile:

It's certainly possible with those GCSE's, but for those med schools which do not place significant weight on GCSE's, other parts of the application become more important - the personal statement and/or UKCAT for example. So you need to compensate by making the rest of your application as good as possible and then apply strategically.

There will always be candidates with very high grades who are rejected everywhere, but that doesn't mean that people with lower grades also aren't getting in. There are quite a few TSRers who have got into medical school without excellent grades, because they had an otherwise strong application and they applied where they knew they could potentially get in

The jump from GCSE standard to A Level standard is quite a big one IMHO - you need to be thinking about how to improve your grades as at the end of Year 12 you need to predicted 3 A's at A2 Level, so your teachers need to see you are doing well enough for that to be feasible
Original post by Democracy
Take a look at this page:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

You should apply carefully to medical schools which place little emphasis on GCSE results e.g. Aberdeen. But you should also think about how you can improve your study techniques so you can do better in your A levels :smile:

I think out of all the advice here, this second point is probably the best for you at this moment in time, OP.

Focus on what's in front of you now (with an eye kept on the future too of course). Take time out to reflect on your GCSEs and look at where you went wrong grade wise (you have good grades btw, I'm just taking them in to context) - start working out what you can do better to achieve better results in your A levels... It's a waste of time researching what universities don't put an emphasis on GCSEs all year if when it comes A Level exam time, you've not properly prepared yourself to go and get the A/A*s you need.

Work hard and see where it takes you. Like others have said, there's a lot more to your application, i.e. personal statement, reference etc.

Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
With those GCSE's it is certainly possible to be able to apply to a medical degree successfully- however it depends on many things, such as how you perform at AS/A2,your personal+teacher reference, and your aptitude tests.

However i would advise against applying to medical schools which place a high emphasis on the number of A*'s attained as it would appear your GCSE's are not as competitive in comparison to the cohort.However some medical schools place little (or no) weight on GCSE scores and some take into account the context in which you scored those grades (especially if you didn't go to a great school) so it is important not to give up in applying, as it is an overall application where one part being strong may compensate for a slightly weaker part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending