The Student Room Group

Will missing a university open day look bad when i come to apply?

I've just started college and am meant to be going to the nottingham university open day on Friday. I have since decided that i don't want to miss college on that day as i have 3 important lessons that i've just started and don't want to get behind. My parents are worried that if i miss the open day, it will look bad and jeopardise my chances of getting in.
Will it jeopardise my chances?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by CloUpsidedown
I've just started college and am meant to be going to the nottingham university open day on Friday. I have since decided that i don't want to miss college on that day as i have 3 important lessons that i've just started and don't want to get behind. My parents are worried that if i miss the open day, it will look bad and jeopardise my chances of getting in.
Will it jeopardise my chances?
Thanks

Somehow I doubt that the University would remember who came to the open day and didn't. Either way, it will not be admissions tutors who are taking attendance at the open day.

I missed two University open days and got offers from both.
Not at all, the admissions tutors will not know you missed the open day, and even if they did, it is not a reflection of your academic ability, and as an academic institution, this is what they care about :smile:
You'll be fine :smile:
Open days are just for you to get a feel of the area. You can get information from there but it's all on the website. Sometimes if you meet an admissions tutor you could get extra info that's not on the website.

Although missing it doesn't matter, Universities know not everyone can attend due to whatever reason. It won't disadvantage you at all.
Why not go to the Saturday open day at notts instead? :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Why not go to the Saturday open day at notts instead? :confused:

yeah, that's what I thought. anyway, they don't check or care, the only bad thing would be you wouldn't know what it was like in person.
Universities care more about a missed payment
Reply 7
Original post by kate3
yeah, that's what I thought. anyway, they don't check or care, the only bad thing would be you wouldn't know what it was like in person.

Saturday was fully booked when i tried to register for it, I'm planning on going to another one if i don't go next friday
Reply 8
Saturday was fully booked when i tried to register for it, I'm planning on going to another one if i don't go next friday

ah right. I always wonder if it matters if you just turned up? surely there will be space and I doubt they check everyone.

The booking thing doesn't do anything but give them some idea of the numbers expected - read the pdf guide - talks are all first come first served, anything you need tickets for you collect from the info stands.

If you want to go on the saturday just turn up (take your friday booking info and play dumb if you prefer) - you'll be able to look around, get tours of the campus and halls, speak to students and staff and get some more info about your subjects.

There will be loads of people who booked for the saturday and then can't make it because of emergencies/changed plans etc...you can just take one of their places.
Original post by PQ
The booking thing doesn't do anything but give them some idea of the numbers expected - read the pdf guide - talks are all first come first served, anything you need tickets for you collect from the info stands.

If you want to go on the saturday just turn up (take your friday booking info and play dumb if you prefer) - you'll be able to look around, get tours of the campus and halls, speak to students and staff and get some more info about your subjects.

There will be loads of people who booked for the saturday and then can't make it because of emergencies/changed plans etc...you can just take one of their places.

thanks, but I'm specifically looking at the veterinary medicine so i think that's why i had to register :smile:
It won't jeopardise your chances of getting a place (unis neither know nor care which individuals have turned up) but it will jeopardise your chances of picking a uni you like. Do make sure that you go before you firm / insure anywhere, as otherwise you're taking a massive, unnecessary gamble on whether or not you would actually enjoy studying at any given uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending