The Student Room Group

Living with parents after graduation

I'm just wondering if anyone else is in this situation at the moment?

I've graduated with a first class degree in education (i didn't study teaching, but i'm even saying my proper degree title because I want my identity protected. Lets just say I have professional recognition) nod it's been downhill ever since. I hate living with my mum. Everyday is hell. Even though you try your damn hardest to compromise and negotiate with your mum, you're always treat like a damn kid. Why do I have to let you know when I'm coming home all the time?? I'm 25! I'm skint as hell and you still expect me to pull £100 from somewhere. Where's the motherly understanding?

I suppose i cant even make this sort of thread without people writing things like 'stfu you should love your mum etc) but just because i love her doesn't mean i like living with her. I'm not even one of those middle class student types. I'm back in my council estate in m area with no opportunity and no jobs. I have a part time job but £300-£350 a month really doesn't pay the bills and with the local authority cutting jobs (I'm a council worker) there's no way I'm working my way up the ladder yet :frown: I don't even have a bedroom at the moment. I'm sleeping where all the storage is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I did it for a while. Yes its a bit irritating sometimes but loads of graduates are in the same situation.
I'm also living at home. I can see why you'd hate it if you don't get on with your parents, but for me the advantages far outweigh the negatives. I'm probably not going to move out until I can afford to buy my own flat.
Get a cheap car and live out of that.
In terms of your mum asking where you are going... My mum does that too and it doesn't bother me. My mum cares and likes to be at ease knowing I get home safely etc , it's not like she's giving me a curfew. Letting your mum know your where about is nothing major, even if you are vague about it. After all she is keeping a roof over your head. Anyway if you aren't looking outside your desired field, you may want to try that. Even if its a retail job just do it for now to bring in some cash.
Reply 5
Look on the bright side, you have somewhere to live while you look for a job. Just consider it motivation and move out once you get something with a decent salary.

"I'm skint as hell and you still expect me to pull £100 from somewhere" - what do you think it's like living on your own where you have to pay every bill and the rent yourself?

Ultimately until such time as you earn enough to support yourself, you should be grateful for what you've got. It could be worse, much worse.
Reply 6
I can completely relate to this. I have just recently returned home to the middle of nowhere..where jobs are definitely scarce and people are narrow minded and criticising.

I have never gotten along with my Mum either and so badly wish I didn't live with her. I get along with my dad but he cant change how my mum and me get along. She asks me when I'll be home and constantly puts me down. Don't get me wrong she is my mum and I love her but that definitely doesnt mean I like living with her. We just do not agree on anything and her opinions are suppose to be law 'my house my rules'.

I am stuck here until I can figure my life out but right now I would do anything to find a way out.
Reply 7
Original post by megsmiles
I can completely relate to this. I have just recently returned home to the middle of nowhere..where jobs are definitely scarce and people are narrow minded and criticising.

I have never gotten along with my Mum either and so badly wish I didn't live with her. I get along with my dad but he cant change how my mum and me get along. She asks me when I'll be home and constantly puts me down. Don't get me wrong she is my mum and I love her but that definitely doesnt mean I like living with her. We just do not agree on anything and her opinions are suppose to be law 'my house my rules'.

I am stuck here until I can figure my life out but right now I would do anything to find a way out.

Bear in mind there's lots of good grad schemes you can apply to that will pay travel expenses. No need to limit yourself to the local area!
Reply 8
Original post by megsmiles

'my house my rules' is usually the case unfortunately and you can't really argue with it which is really frustrating for a 25 year old graduate.

Managing to gain entry into a grad scheme is like winning the lottery btw. You can try but the numbers of people who apply to grad schemes is insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I am also living with my parents till i find a job ! cant wait to move out !

it is difficult to go back living with your parents once you lived on your own for a long period of time ! My mum also frustrates me asking me constantly 'are you hungry', ' are u gonna shower', ' who is calling u', ' when are u coming back home'.

I dont get along with my father and every time we have an argument I become even more determined, go get my laptop and start applying once again with the sole purpose of just getting out of there ASAP! I am not even very fussy about the salary anymore !

I feel like 2013 passed so quickly and I havent done much!

I feel like yesterday was February and in reality it is already almost October! The final year at uni was intense ! All i did was spending time 14 hours every f. day in the library February till June !
I used to be a party animal living in South Kensington and going out thursday to Sat every week. I had an amazingg non average student life! Now Im stuck in the Midlands farrr away from London!

Since finishing exams in May all i do every f. day was applying for jobs! I am not communicating much with my friends or family because everyone is constantly ASKING me hows the job hunting!
I am glad I shared this with you. If i say this to my mum she will be heart broken

I feel better knowing there are a lot of grads that are in the same position and even worse.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending