The Student Room Group

Coeliac/Gluten Free Friendly Oxbridge Colleges?

So besides the fact I'm still having trouble deciding between Oxford and Cambridge for various reasons, I figured it smart to enquire as to whether or not any colleges at either university are particularly accommodating to those with strict special diets such as myself. I have coeliac disease and have to follow a strict gluten free diet. I'm not usually one to make a fuss of it, but I figure if I may theoretically go to an Oxbridge college that it's best to choose one that wouldn't be serving me food I can't eat 99 percent of the time.

As for my indecision as to which university, I may make a separate thread, but that has more to do with the differences in music courses and my unique status as a mature international student with unusual qualifications. Ergh.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Maxomatosis
So besides the fact I'm still having trouble deciding between Oxford and Cambridge for various reasons, I figured it smart to enquire as to whether or not any colleges at either university are particularly accommodating to those with strict special diets such as myself. I have coeliac disease and have to follow a strict gluten free diet. I'm not usually one to make a fuss of it, but I figure if I may theoretically go to an Oxbridge college that it's best to choose one that wouldn't be serving me food I can't eat 99 percent of the time.

As for my indecision as to which university, I may make a separate thread, but that has more to do with the differences in music courses and my unique status as a mature international student with unusual qualifications. Ergh.

Thanks!

I was wondering something very similar myself! Which University serves the best flatbreads on their campus? Harvard, Penn State, Durham, Kings or John Moores?
The best thing to do is email the main accommodation office at both Unis and ask what provision there is for special diets.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
The best thing to do is email the main accommodation office at both Unis and ask what provision there is for special diets.

There isn't a "main accommodation office" for Oxford and Cambridge things are all dealt with on a college level. This would therefore entail emailing some 40+ (?) colleges individually, which I suppose is possible but something of a tall order!

Original post by Maxomatosis
x

All colleges will do their best to accommodate students with specific dietary requirements, even if this means cooking individual dinners for some people (e.g. at Merton and St Catz, Oxford).
Original post by BJack
There isn't a "main accommodation office" for Oxford and Cambridge

Oh really?

Oxford : [email protected] Tel : 01865-280811
Cambridge : [email protected] Tel (01223) 333316
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Oh really?

Oxford : [email protected] Tel : 01865-280811
Cambridge : [email protected] Tel (01223) 333316

Sure, but they don't deal with college meal provision,
You've got to love all these people who know more about the university than the vice chancellor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending