17. :-P-?

Symbols:

♀-Female
♂-Male

[Italics]-Unknown
[Green] -Interview
[Orange]-No interview
Reply 181
@Aargee Are you getting interviewed in RS?
I think that they're accepting more than 125 students for the interview, then separating the ones that have a real 'passion' for the subject. If you manage to get accepted into the interview, be sure to pick up a book or two on the subject, then mention it during the interview. I'm sure the obligatory "Why do you like the subject that you've chosen?" question will come up. If it does, what I would do is mention X book and use Y adjective to describe it, then say how X has inspired you to learn Z subject.

I'm sure there was a list of recommended books for students to read. I'll look into it and update the post when I find it.

Found it: http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_2014-sixth-form-courses-brochure.pdf (list starts at page 11 under each respective subject)
I picked up "Fermat's Last Theorem" and "Four Colours Suffice" for mathematics; £10 for both on Amazon.
I'd also recommend "The Simpsons and their mathematical secrets" by Simon Singh; wonderfully written book that shows you that mathematics can be found in the most unorthodox places, even The Simpsons :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 183
Got an interview. Honestly didn't think I would get one.
Reply 184
Original post by Bytecry
Got an interview. Honestly didn't think I would get one.

Congratulations! Believe me I didn't think I would get one either ><
Hey guys! I got an interview too!!!! 15th February-Maths I'm sooooo excited its going to be in Westminster school.
Reply 186
Original post by StrangeBanana
Same as me, bro! :biggrin: What time's yours? Mine's at 9.00 a.m. :redface:

Maybe they're doing all the Math-interviews on the 5th.

Yaay, mine is at 9:40am. Seems like we might bump into each other xD
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hajarjarir
Hey guys! I got an interview too!!!! 15th February-Maths I'm sooooo excited its going to be in Westminster school.

Are you sure? I thought all the students who are interviewed in Maths would have their interview on the 5th Feb, not the 15th?
Original post by Mathbomb
Yaay, mine is at 9:40am. Seems like we might bump into each other xD

Hehe. :tongue:
Reply 189
TSR Applicants for Harris Westminster September 2014 Entry:

1. Aargee- Chemistry, Maths, Physics, RS
2. Abiword ()- ?
3. Bytecry- Chemistry, Further Maths, Maths, Physics
4. Goldenboom (♂) - Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Maths
5. hajarjarir ()- Economics, English Literature, Maths, Further Maths
6. hopeitwrksout (♀)
7. icantdothishelp (♀)- Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History
8. Jalouise (♀)-Biology, Chemistry, Maths, RS
9. KoolAid (♀)- Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature
10. Mathbomb (♂)- Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics
11. notamondaygirl- ?
12. Ogmios97-?
13. rockyab1-?
13. sciencelover5 (♀)-Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths
14. smileyface5678-?
15. StrangeBanana (♂)-Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Physics
16. Winading001 (♂)- Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Literature
17. :-P-?

Symbols:

♀-Female
♂-Male

[Italics]-Unknown
[Green] -Interview
[Orange]-No interview
Reply 190
Original post by TheIdesOfMay
I think that they're accepting more than 125 students for the interview, then separating the ones that have a real 'passion' for the subject. If you manage to get accepted into the interview, be sure to pick up a book or two on the subject, then mention it during the interview. If sure the obligatory "Why do you like the subject that you've chosen?" question would come up. If it does, what I would do is mention X book and use Y adjective to describe it, then say how X has inspired you to learn Z subject.

I'm sure there was a list of recommended books for students to read. I'll look into it and update the post when I find it.

Found it: http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_2014-sixth-form-courses-brochure.pdf (list starts at page 11 under each respective subject)
I picked up 'Fermat's Last Theorem" and "Four Colours Suffice" for mathematics; £10 for both on Amazon.

Thanks for informing me about the books. Great preparation for the interview :3
Original post by Jalouise
Thanks for informing me about the books. Great preparation for the interview :3

No problem, hope it goes well for you.

It seems that this thread has a lot of good luck - everyone here's been accepted thus far. My letter should be coming Monday.
Reply 192
A lot of people on this thread got accepted so congratulations! But do you think that means that loads of people got invited to interview?
I got an interview as well!! Congrats to everyone else who did too. Apparently there are 250 places because Lord Harris said so as did my headteacher whos principal of harris fed sixth form....
Original post by notamondaygirl
A lot of people on this thread got accepted so congratulations! But do you think that means that loads of people got invited to interview?

Me thinks there's a correlation between the acceptance rate and the students that engage in forums such as TSR. That or only the people who got accepted actually made the comment saying so.
Original post by smileyface5678
I got an interview as well!! Congrats to everyone else who did too. Apparently there are 250 places because Lord Harris said so as did my headteacher whos principal of harris fed sixth form....

http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/18/how-to-apply

"We have 125 places available in September 2014. In future years, this will rise to 250."
I got an interview too!!
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the reason why so many people (On this forum) may have got an interview is because of the academic threshold. If they set it high (to get rid of a significant number of applicants) this means we are all academically able... All we have to worry about is whether the number of people who were invited to the interview exceeded the number of places available. After all, I did calculate (while in the exam hall) that there was over 300 people sitting with me.
Will our current school be notified that we have passed our entrance exam?
I have a problem with one of texts that has been suggested as Reading Material for the AS/A2 English Literature Course; it doesn't exist. The book I'm referring to is "The Professor"-Thomas Hardy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending