The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jalouise
I did the same! And I was thinking 'That wasn't too bad' I was wrong. So wrong.

Still weren't that bad anyway because the first 2 pages were reasonably easy

Original post by Mathbomb
Ah ye' old back page bumbles.
I hate when that happens D:

yep, its always happening to me and I never learn from my mistakes.
Are any of you getting the bonus point for free school meals?
Reply 382
Do most of you here already go to a 'Harris' school?
Original post by Antisocialite
I have no idea if I excelled in any other subject :c I only saw that I got 96 in my history paper where almost everyone else got scores in the 100s. (I don't even like history.) But now that I think about it, I think they only accepted me on the basis that I'm poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be so cynical. You seem to forget that you got a higher score than 150 other candidates. that signifies to me that you are of some intelligence (maybe not as high as the others). I was once warned by a friend, when applying to this school, that even though I may be one of the smartest in my own school once I leave my little bubble there will always be those who will be a HELL of a lot smarter than I am. Also you being poor did not affect your chances of getting an interview. They needed you to reach an "academic threshold" before they decided to give you an interview. Regardless of the amount of money your parents may or may not have.
Original post by harmingjuli

Yes and for living in a deprived area. (This is your chance to thank God if you live in a poor area) Look at the Admission arrangements paragraphs 7 and 8.
http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_admissions-policy-final-final-clean-07-oct-13.pdf

I do

Nope. A Catholic Comprehensive.
Reply 387
I have no idea if I excelled in any other subject :c I only saw that I got 96 in my history paper where almost everyone else got scores in the 100s. (I don't even like history.) But now that I think about it, I think they only accepted me on the basis that I'm poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, don't say that. Although they do place emphasis on people who are deprived getting into the school (inc me), I highly doubt they only let you onto the interview stage just because of that - you would have needed to show your ability in those exams and the examiners would have probably seen something in your answers which made them decide to keep you to the interview stage.

Still weren't that bad anyway because the first 2 pages were reasonably easy

yep, its always happening to me and I never learn from my mistakes.
I didn't think the exams were easy. They did require thought and it was only once I worked out what I needed to do, that everything went well.
Reply 388

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/educations-berlin-wall
"70 per cent of the applicants are eligible for the pupil premium (which means free school meals sometime in the last 6 years), and one in five is a pupil at one of the 27 existing Harris academies"
Original post by Winading001
Yes and for living in a deprived area. (This is your chance to thank God if you live in a poor area) Look at the Admission arrangements paragraphs 7 and 8.

How do you know if your area is deprived?
Don't be so cynical. You seem to forget that you got a higher score than 150 other candidates. that signifies to me that you are of some intelligence (maybe not as high as the others). I was once warned by a friend, when applying to this school, that even though I may be one of the smartest in my own school once I leave my little bubble there will always be those who will be a HELL of a lot smarter than I am. Also you being poor did not affect your chances of getting an interview. They needed you to reach an "academic threshold" before they decided to give you an interview. Regardless of the amount of money your parents may or may not have.

Yeah I guess, although I do have some hope of getting in now. c: Hopefully my letter doesn't get lost in the mail again though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Search it up on the net. In terms of Oxbridge success my borough is one of the worst in London.
Yeah I guess, although I do have some hope of getting in now. c: Hopefully my letter doesn't get lost in the mail again though..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why we have email

Tell me if your borough is worst than mine.
http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/news/barking_and_dagenham_low_in_oxbridge_successes_1_2250154
Reply 394

ACORN http://acorn.caci.co.uk/ one of the measures Oxford uses to flag those who come from deprived areas.
POLAR 2 www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/wp/ourresearch/polar/ is also used by both Oxford and Cambridge.
I guess they are pretty good at determining deprivation, seeing as they are used by Oxbridge.
Weirdly enough, according to ACORN I live in a deprived area, but according to POLAR 2 I don't.
Meh.
Reply 395
Nope. A Catholic Comprehensive.

Same!
Reply 396
I'm not too sure if Wanstead/Forest Gate is a deprived area?
I'm not too sure if Wanstead/Forest Gate is a deprived area?

How many council estates are there? (connotation of low income)
Reply 398
Do you think they will take into account your area/free school meals after they have added up scores for the exam and interview or will they take that into account in the process.
Reply 399
How many council estates are there? (connotation of low income)

I have no idea, I will look this up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending