The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muffyn
I got the email about Joanna Carr a minute ago. Are you going then?

Probably not
Original post by Nissie1
You're lucky, my first exam is on the 22nd of April. Then the 8th of may

What exam is that?
Reply 862
[QUOTE="grantroshan;46894724"]
Original post by Nissie1
You're lucky, my first exam is on the 22nd of April. Then the 8th of may

What exam is that?

Music Unit 2 appraisal
Reply 863
Hey guys, did you get the email about the building?
Reply 864
Original post by amyth4824
Hey guys, did you get the email about the building?

Yes, it was on my mind yesterday evening, I just came home from an Art exam, and received the email!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 865
Original post by Muffyn
Yes, it was on my mind yesterday evening, I just came home from an Art exam, and received the email!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I had 3 mocks today so news like this was needed. Are you going to any of the events?
Has anyone here read the Times article on Harris Westminster?
What are your thoughts?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_the-times-pupils-queue-up.pdf
Original post by Winading001
What are your thoughts?

http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_the-times-
pupils-queue-up.pdf

Hey! I read the article and I didn't expect to see 134 students taking maths... its a very popular choice I guess.
My first exam is on the 31st of March. I just hope I won't get stressed :frown:
Reply 869
What are your thoughts?

http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_the-times-pupils-queue-up.pdf

Not surprised at the popularity of maths and science to be honest it was expected because so many top universities favor it.
Reply 870
Not surprised at the popularity of maths and science to be honest it was expected because so many top universities favor it.

It is true that top universities do favour facilitating subjects, which does include maths and sciences. However, when choosing subjects, I would have thought the emphasis should be on what you enjoy/for your career path, rather than tailoring your choices to fit what universities prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 871
Original post by Muffyn
It is true that top universities do favour facilitating subjects, which does include maths and sciences. However, when choosing subjects, I would have thought the emphasis should be on what you enjoy/for your career path, rather than tailoring your choices to fit what universities prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is also true to an extent because that is what I have based the decision of my options however, in our society we have so much competition from other international students who have more than 4 A-levels some people pick their options based on the subject difficulty and also what they are good at :^_^:
Reply 872
That is also true to an extent because that is what I have based the decision of my options however, in our society we have so much competition from other international students who have more than 4 A-levels some people pick their options based on the subject difficulty and also what they are good at :^_^:

True, competition is high for uni places, especially when we are talking about RG unis. It is also true that many do pick subjects which they are best at, as they are likely to be the most successful in those particular subjects, but also because for many, what they are good at is what they like. There are exceptions, of course, like me choosing sciences (worst at) when I should be doing languages (best at), but we are in the minority, which is fair enough. However, it would be quite sad if someone based their subject choices -which would eventually lead them into a future profession - based on what unis prefer to see on an application, especially if they are doing it regardless of lack of enthusiasm for what they have chosen. I'd rather be passionate about something than doing something else just to increase my chances of successful application. My personal opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
What are your thoughts?

Thanks for that! 'Twas an interesting read. :smile:
Reply 874
Original post by Muffyn
True, competition is high for uni places, especially when we are talking about RG unis. It is also true that many do pick subjects which they are best at, as they are likely to be the most successful in those particular subjects, but also because for many, what they are good at is what they like. There are exceptions, of course, like me choosing sciences (worst at) when I should be doing languages (best at), but we are in the minority, which is fair enough. However, it would be quite sad if someone based their subject choices -which would eventually lead them into a future profession - based on what unis prefer to see on an application, especially if they are doing it regardless of lack of enthusiasm for what they have chosen. I'd rather be passionate about something than doing something else just to increase my chances of successful application. My personal opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, and I believe that is the reason as to why we had to get interviewed on one subject which we would show the needed values to get into a place like Harris Westminster. There are people who excelled in the exams however may have not done as well in the interviews for a variety of reasons one of which may have been a lack of enthusiasm. However, despite all this many were overcome by nerves which is the most likely reason of people not doing well at the interviews. I totally agree with your opinion because they are courses that you are going to continue for 2 years and you do need to make the most out of them no matter how challenging they may be because facilitating subjects will always have that attached to them no matter how bright you may be and passion is something which will drive a persons determination to do well, whether it is your strongest or weakest subject .If you want to do well you strive for it and more than likely you will achieve the result that you deserve.
NEWS: The History Department of Harris Westminster have created their own Twitter account.
Here's a link: https://twitter.com/HWSFHistory
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 876
NEWS: The History Department of Harris Westminster have created their own Twitter account.
Here's a link: https://twitter.com/HWSFHistory

Quite like the time periods that we are set to study.
Quite like the time periods that we are set to study.

Same here.
Reply 878
Same here.

Most looking forward to the crusades :smile:
Reply 879
Hi, so I'm in Westminster right now and currently using up data to post this, and will be checking out the school building... Once I can find it. :smile: Will report right back.
Update: Looks pretty impressive and very near Westminster Abbey! It is basically opposite the Methodist Central Hall. Unfortunately, I need to be somewhere now so see you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending