The Student Room Group

Gap year?

I really want to go on a gap year and in particular one of the project trust ones. however my mum and dad wont let me in case i get raped,murdered, kidnapped or pushed into drug smuggling (and other reasons). I tried explaining to them that i wouldnt be alone and it would count as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award but they just wont listen. Ive told them that one day they wont be able to protect me and that bad things can happen at home too but still they are adamant that i wouldnt be able to handle it and it will be years until i leave home.

I really want to do this as im not a confident person and i believe this will help boost my confidence and be a bonus on my university application. I never get to follow my heart and do something i really want to do because someone is always holding me back and it makes me feel inadequate. Im currently going through a tough time so being told i cant do this just makes me feel worse. Is there anything i can do to convince my parents? Please help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it was me, I would make a really well worked presentation. A powerpoint show, and tell them that I had something important to talk to them about. Guide them step by step about your plan, where you wanna go, what company you wanna go with, so they see that this is well considered, and not a small thought. And then tell them about the different risk in the country you wish to go too, so they are well aware of everything. I hope you find a way to do it, and that you can use this advice. best of luck. where do you wanna go on your gap year?
Reply 2
Original post by Petricia
If it was me, I would make a really well worked presentation. A powerpoint show, and tell them that I had something important to talk to them about. Guide them step by step about your plan, where you wanna go, what company you wanna go with, so they see that this is well considered, and not a small thought. And then tell them about the different risk in the country you wish to go too, so they are well aware of everything. I hope you find a way to do it, and that you can use this advice. best of luck. where do you wanna go on your gap year?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I'll try that, I'm wanting to go to Japan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by NormalGirl
I'll try that, I'm wanting to go to Japan

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it goes well:-) Japan sounds great. I hope you end up going.
Hello, I want to go on a gap year before uni next year, do you know any trust worthy sites ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lucyjuicy009
Hello, I want to go on a gap year before uni next year, do you know any trust worthy sites ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends on what you wanna do? and where you wanna go?:-)
Well anywhere! haha. Just checked out the 'trutravels' site and sounds very good. I haven't really found anyone to go with hence why i'm on here looking for people in a similar situation. Petricia have you been on one of these tours? How old are you? :smile:
The Student Room articles are filled with a huge number of trustworthy sites, as are found here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Gap_Year_Ideas

Some cost a lot of money, others are cheap, and others are free. I hope you can convince your parents, but remember one thing for sure. It's your life, not anyone elses'. But if the worst comes to the worst and it's too expensive/parents are forcing you to stay, you can always try volunteering at home. It will give you a broad spectrum of things to see in your own country with little cost and will boost your confidence just as much.
Reply 9
Well anywhere! haha. Just checked out the 'trutravels' site and sounds very good. I haven't really found anyone to go with hence why i'm on here looking for people in a similar situation. Petricia have you been on one of these tours? How old are you? :smile:

No I haven't.:-) I went to Morocco, Nepal and spend 12 months in India in my gap years. In India I volunteered with a local organization, which was the best experience of my life. I can send you a link if you are interested? I am 22, and started studying again almost one year ago. When are you planning to go?
Wow! Im 19 planning to start uni next year. So planning to travel between jan-oct 2014. Yes i would love the link! I havent planned anything in terms of travelling im just seeing wheres best to go etc for the time being.
Reply 11
Wow! Im 19 planning to start uni next year. So planning to travel between jan-oct 2014. Yes i would love the link! I havent planned anything in terms of travelling im just seeing wheres best to go etc for the time being.

I loved India the most, because there is so much to do, and so much to see! The people are so friendly. I would be going there myself in the summer again. The link is www.stepvolunteer.com
You can just ask if you have any questions:-)
Which project did you complete? I would like the day care or primary school teaching one. Where did you stay and how much money was it all in total? Did you go with anyone?
Reply 13
I did the daycare and primary school one. Which I really liked. The kids are so sweet, and I miss them all the time. They have a volunteer house close to the working places, where you stay with the rest of the volunteers, its a really nice place, and you will feel like its your second home fast. Oh, I don't remember the full amount, but it wasn't a lot. I am sure the founder will send you a price list if you ask:-) I been back few times now, and first time I went with some friends, second time I went alone and third time (I love India) I went alone again, but there comes people from all over the world, so you never feel alone.:-)
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi! im in exactly the same position - I'm considering original volunteers and plan my gap year at the moment, where are you looking to go? :smile:
If I'm honest I'm looking to go anywhere. I just want to travel abroad as much as possible before uni comes :smile: have you looked into anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the daycare and primary school one. Which I really liked. The kids are so sweet, and I miss them all the time. They have a volunteer house close to the working places, where you stay with the rest of the volunteers, its a really nice place, and you will feel like its your second home fast. Oh, I don't remember the full amount, but it wasn't a lot. I am sure the founder will send you a price list if you ask:-) I been back few times now, and first time I went with some friends, second time I went alone and third time (I love India) I went alone again, but there comes people from all over the world, so you never feel alone.:-)

Thankyou for all your info it's really interesting and has definitely have me a great insight into volunteering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Thankyou for all your info it's really interesting and has definitely have me a great insight into volunteering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just ask if you have more questions:-)
Reply 18
If I'm honest I'm looking to go anywhere. I just want to travel abroad as much as possible before uni comes :smile: have you looked into anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

where are you thinking of going? Im looking to go to asia i think, just need to find people to go with! haha
I haven't got a preference, have you found a deal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest