The Student Room Group

Friend copied bits of my personal statement.

My friend copied about 3 lines of my personal statement. They're exactly the same, apart from the fact that she changed the last few words of the first 2 lines to match her personal statement more. I'm really angry at this, I didn't even give my personal statement to her but I remember letting her save one piece of work I did from my usb on to her computer. She must have got my personal statement then when I wasn't looking. She recently asked me to check her personal statement and I read through it. I didn't say anything because she's the type that would start drama in the middle of the lesson. Thankfully though, she let me edit it and I changed some words, but I'm still worried. I'm the type that cares about these things while she's going to uni "for the banter". Her personal statement still has to be finished and I also noticed her personal statement is similar to mine with it's format and conclusion. What do I do? I've sent mine off already this week and already received two offers. She's yet to send hers off.

Scroll to see replies

Looks like her application might be thrown out for plagiarism?
Original post by ageshallnot

^ This.

If she sends it in as is then she's shooting herself in the foot, and I wouldn't like to bet that they wouldn't come after you too, given that you're at the same school and it's the same applications cycle.

What about mine? Can UCAS do anything to mine?
Original post by AnonymousHearts
What about mine? Can UCAS do anything to mine?

If i were you i'd let your head of sixth form know - show them your file and that you clearly wrote your one first.

And ditch her. That isn't a friend.
Original post by Origami Bullets
^ This.

If she sends it in as is then she's shooting herself in the foot, and I wouldn't like to bet that they wouldn't come after you too, given that you're at the same school and it's the same applications cycle.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. What do I do? Tell her to change it (more chance she wouldn't than would) or tell the college (which would make me feel bad)?
This is exactly what I'm worried about. What do I do? Tell her to change it (more chance she wouldn't than would) or tell the college (which would make me feel bad)?

Tell her to change it, because
a) if she doesn't, she will be done for plagiarism and will potentially be rejected from all five unis because of it
b) if she doesn't change it, you'll be forced to tell the college to protect yourself.

Don't feel bad about protecting yourself from the consequences of her idiocy.

Just tell her to change it...

Tell the college! Is your friend really more important than university?

Tell her you noticed some 'similarities' [cough!!!] and you have read that UCAS uses plagiarism software, so it would be 'a good idea' if she changed her wording, 'just to be safe'?
Original post by lipslikemorphine
If i were you i'd let your head of sixth form know - show them your file and that you clearly wrote your one first.

And ditch her. That isn't a friend.

I'd feel bad doing that, but I might as well do it. Only problem is that she has a good way of speaking so she'd probably say she wrote it first and then it'll turn into an argument.

I know, I always knew she was a bit two-faced. Saves time calling her a friend rather than a two-faced ***** though doesn't it?
Reply 11
She will be the one pulled up for plagiarism, not you - UCAS's software basically compares yours to everything they have on their database. So when your friend sends hers it will be compared against yours, and she'll be the one having it sent off with any plagiarism highlighted.

Make her aware that she should be careful, in a way that won't necessarily be accusing her of copying yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell her you noticed some 'similarities' [cough!!!] and you have read that UCAS uses plagiarism software, so it would be 'a good idea' if she changed her wording, 'just to be safe'?

I actually did tell her that but she says she doesn't care :s-smilie:
I'd feel bad doing that, but I might as well do it. Only problem is that she has a good way of speaking so she'd probably say she wrote it first and then it'll turn into an argument.

I know, I always knew she was a bit two-faced. Saves time calling her a friend rather than a two-faced ***** though doesn't it?

You can't feel guilty.
She deserves everything she gets since she clearly could care less about you. University is a hell of a lot more important than a friendship that isn't even real.

Show them your file and that your one is older than hers. Also if she copied it from your memory stick she probably still has your personal statement on there. Make her give it to the school so they can check it (but don't give her enough time to delete it)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14

You'll feel bad now, you'll feel worse in a few months when the plagiarism catches up to both of you. It's (barely) fine if she didn't know about the software detection, but if she did, she isn't a friend at all.
Reply 15

Did you tell her that it might affect you, too?
I'd still tell someone at your college though - it could seriously affect your education, and whilst I appreciate that you don't want to get her in trouble, if she won't change it then you can't put yourself at risk.
Reply 16

Please tell your head of year, it will save you - and her - a lot of trobule.
Original post by Paralove
She will be the one pulled up for plagiarism, not you - UCAS's software basically compares yours to everything they have on their database. So when your friend sends hers it will be compared against yours, and she'll be the one having it sent off with any plagiarism highlighted.

Make her aware that she should be careful, in a way that won't necessarily be accusing her of copying yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She says she doesn't care. She plagiarises a lot (mostly off the internet) when doing her work, but she just changes most of the words.

I hope she'll be the one in trouble if she does get caught and not me!
Original post by suzylemonade
Tell the college! Is your friend really more important than university?

I probably will
Original post by Origami Bullets
Tell her to change it, because
a) if she doesn't, she will be done for plagiarism and will potentially be rejected from all five unis because of it
b) if she doesn't change it, you'll be forced to tell the college to protect yourself.

Don't feel bad about protecting yourself from the consequences of her idiocy.

Thank you, I'll tell the college if she refuses to change it once more. She's not the type to listen or care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending