The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Masters?

Hi,
I'm really considering dropping out of my taught masters course and I'm wondering about what people would do if they were in the same situation and, even better, if anyone went through the some worries - did you stay or did you drop-out.

I graduated this year with a first in psychology and was very lucky to get offered a fully funded taught psychology course with a stipend of about £6000. Thing is semester 1 is done and I really am not enjoying it. It is a real motivation to go to lectures, I don't feel challeneged, in fact I often come out of work as a retail assistant knowing i learnt more at work then I did at uni. I am really jealous of my friends doing neuroscience, I think that would have been my dream masters, but there is no way i can afford that. Plus becasue its funded I have little optional modules of dissertation projects.

I really dont know what to do. Deep down I really want to just get a job but if I drop-out theyll not only be a gap on my CV but I'll have no where to live and no money. Plus I will have to repay my funding.

Any thoughts? Should I be miserable and just stick it out?
As long as you are not failing and getting damaged by staying on, I would stick with it, especially as you would only loose money, as I understand and not feeling challenged could end up in getting good references and strengthen your PHD application or applications for a second Master?

Why have you began the Master? Does it enable you to do things, you couldn't do otherwise? Are the projects really so dull?
Reply 2
I began the masters because I honestly thought i'd love it after doing the module at undergraduate. I also thought it would help me get a better job. I don't know if it really allows me to do anything different, I feel I could have applied my psych background to the retail and business world without the official title. And yeah my project is dull, pointless and breaks my scientific heart so to speak.

But you have a good point. I am doing ok, so far, and it would give me something else on applications.
Reply 3
I'd stay on. A masters looks good on a CV, particularly a funded one. And I wouldn't want to pay the money back. It's only another 8 months and then you can leave academia behind permanently if you wish.
I'd stay on as well. How long is the masters?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by polly925
I began the masters because I honestly thought i'd love it after doing the module at undergraduate.

In my experience, even when you love a subject, a taught Masters in it is a back-breaking slog. When I started, my cohort was told that this would be the most stressed and intense year of our academic lives. I'm one year into a PhD and that's been true so far. The Masters was exhausting and at many points, a soul-destroying grind.

However, I survived it and am pleased that I lasted the course. If you can possibly grit your teeth, another 9-10 months might seem like a lifetime now, but it'll go by so fast you won't know what hit you when you come out of the other end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending