The Student Room Group

New documentary series - Tough Young Teachers...

Scroll to see replies

Still didn't see anything there that bothered me or was unexpected.

1) That male teacher that got bad feedback and went off crying needs to get a grip - it was quite obvious as to why he was getting through to them as his lessons were quite boring and mundane - typically the type of lesson I would become disengaged with in school - He is also most definitely the type of teacher I would try and get under the skin of in school because he comes across as a bit feminine or over the top with the dramatics - he's made himself a target I think

2) In a way I feel sorry for the girl - she has no intimidation or authoritative factor whatsoever which you definitely need some of and they're taking advantage of her most definitely which is unfair although she could could command the class a lot better and give whole class detentions. Also, I think she should have identified the catalysts for the disruption better, made her head aware of them etc. and ensured that they behaved to stop certain others getting dragged into it - she just totally lost the majority of the class
Original post by Oliver Queen

2) In a way I feel sorry for the girl - she has no intimidation or authoritative factor whatsoever which you definitely need some of and they're taking advantage of her most definitely which is unfair although she could could command the class a lot better and give whole class detentions. Also, I think she should have identified the catalysts for the disruption better, made her head aware of them etc. and ensured that they behaved to stop certain others getting dragged into it - she just totally lost the majority of the class

Isn't that a really bad idea? There's bound to be at least one or two students who are doing as asked.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Isn't that a really bad idea? There's bound to be at least one or two students who are doing as asked.

Totally the wrong idea. How to alienate the kids who are on your side.
Reply 183
Still didn't see anything there that bothered me or was unexpected.

1) That male teacher that got bad feedback and went off crying needs to get a grip - it was quite obvious as to why he was getting through to them as his lessons were quite boring and mundane - typically the type of lesson I would become disengaged with in school - He is also most definitely the type of teacher I would try and get under the skin of in school because he comes across as a bit feminine or over the top with the dramatics - he's made himself a target I think

well put
what are your views on the re lessons ?
Reply 184
Some of these teachers expect every class to go perfect, bit silly. You'll always have a fair few rubbish classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Totally the wrong idea. How to alienate the kids who are on your side.

So what do you propose? I see a lot of criticism or put downs on here but not a lot of guidance as to what should be done so we as teachers, trainees, etc. can all debate it.

The only teachers I respected in school were teachers who took control and teachers who showed they were the authoritative figure and I was the child. I ended up with A-C's from a bad school as well.

We had whole class detentions from our biology teacher and I'm sure there were a few who were good but the majority of the class were throwing paper aeroplanes, rulers, messing about with gas taps and bunsen burners and so on. After the second time nobody messed about and he was respected then because nobody messed about people actually listened to him and then realised he actually knew his stuff, was quite intelligent and could teach us. He showed authority quite early on, took control and then he won us over in an environment he set the precedent for.

Any teacher that didn't have that authoritative tone got mugged off or victimised. A chemistry teacher we had went out crying and another teacher had a break down. They were seen as weak and students took advantage of their obvious weaknesses no end.

I cant think of one teacher I had who wasn't authoritative or intimidating and didn't give out ruthless punishments such as detentions or making you write lines etc. or putting you on report.

French teacher - weak - left after 1 year
Chemistry teacher - weak - lasted about 4 months and ran out of the class crying
RE teacher - strict as it got and plenty of detentions - nobody messed about
Biology teacher - strict as hell - class detentions - nobody messed about after the 2nd class detention
Mathematics teacher - strict as hell and nobody messed about
History teacher - best teacher - authoritative as well as respecting - still gave out detentions and report but you knew with her if you behaved you'd get rewarded
IT teacher - tried being everyones best friend - got mugged off
Business teacher - sometimes strict/sometimes not - the fact she wasn't always strict meant pupils were happy to try it on and at least test the water
DT teacher - strict as hell but a good laugh as well but the work got done etc.
English teacher - rumours about her sleeping with another teacher and she had a breakdown and not long after she left - she couldn't control the class before that anyway so the rumours just added insult to injury

Im not being horrible but out of all the teachers we've seen on that show theres only one I'd say in their class I'd respect and I bet most could name that teacher straight away on here.
So what do you propose? I see a lot of criticism or put downs on here but not a lot of guidance as to what should be done so we as teachers, trainees, etc. can all debate it.

The only teachers I respected in school were teachers who took control and teachers who showed they were the authoritative figure and I was the child. I ended up with A-C's from a bad school as well.

We had whole class detentions from our biology teacher and I'm sure there were a few who were good but the majority of the class were throwing paper aeroplanes, rulers, messing about with gas taps and bunsen burners and so on. After the second time nobody messed about and he was respected then because nobody messed about people actually listened to him and then realised he actually knew his stuff, was quite intelligent and could teach us. He showed authority quite early on, took control and then he won us over in an environment he set the precedent for.

Any teacher that didn't have that authoritative tone got mugged off or victimised. A chemistry teacher we had went out crying and another teacher had a break down. They were seen as weak and students took advantage of their obvious weaknesses no end.

I cant think of one teacher I had who wasn't authoritative or intimidating and didn't give out ruthless punishments such as detentions or making you write lines etc. or putting you on report.

French teacher - weak - left after 1 year
Chemistry teacher - weak - lasted about 4 months and ran out of the class crying
RE teacher - strict as it got and plenty of detentions - nobody messed about
Biology teacher - strict as hell - class detentions - nobody messed about after the 2nd class detention
Mathematics teacher - strict as hell and nobody messed about
History teacher - best teacher - authoritative as well as respecting - still gave out detentions and report but you knew with her if you behaved you'd get rewarded
IT teacher - tried being everyones best friend - got mugged off
Business teacher - sometimes strict/sometimes not - the fact she wasn't always strict meant pupils were happy to try it on and at least test the water
DT teacher - strict as hell but a good laugh as well but the work got done etc.
English teacher - rumours about her sleeping with another teacher and she had a breakdown and not long after she left - she couldn't control the class before that anyway so the rumours just added insult to injury

Im not being horrible but out of all the teachers we've seen on that show theres only one I'd say in their class I'd respect and I bet most could name that teacher straight away on here.

What I propose is tackling the disruptives out of sight of their peers, thereby denying them an audience to play to and escalating the situation. What you don't do is create a situation in which you incite the class to gang up against you by making it not worth their while behaving because they will be punished anyway. It's lesson one, day one of a decent teacher training course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by usainlightning
After watching this i'm convinced by the need to bring the cane back. Some of the kids are just too far down the path of disobedience that there behavior cannot be remedied via conventional methods.

The problem is that these days if you were to cane a child, they'd probably grab the cane off you and cane you right back.
Reply 188
Watching this is exactly the reason I couldn't do secondary education - teenagers, and that's the majority of them, are prats. Not saying the teachers are much better, but after 6 weeks what do you expect?! They've been thrown into the lion's den.
Original post by Smeggles
Watching this is exactly the reason I couldn't do secondary education - teenagers, and that's the majority of them, are prats. Not saying the teachers are much better, but after 6 weeks what do you expect?! They've been thrown into the lion's den.

I'm feeling like that too regarding teaching. Sure, part of it is due to teachers, but some of the mentality and attitudes of students in schools are downright shocking.

If anything, it shows you just how hard teachers in this country have to work :/
x

I would have to agree here.
There's a reason they say don't smile until Christmas. Yes there is room for being friendly or even 'cool', but what that means to me is approachable.

I had a class full of 32 children, and they walked all over me for the first week. After that I started to be very strict, making the class go back and try again when going from desks to carpet, a number of time, taking time off play for minor offences (after warning), using the teacher stare whenever possible. They soon listened, although a few tried their luck every now and again.

If you don't let anything slide, then you should a change in attitude soon, and you'll be able to talk to be the 'cool' teacher, but who you know not to mess with. Those are the teachers I remember most.
I have to say, One of the schools being filmed is just down the road from me, The Harefield Academy (Where the English and Maths teachers are training). I know some people who go there and the footage is not representative of what the school is like. They say that it is a working class area, the students are having a hard time, the fact is, it is in an area with quite a lot of middle class people. A lot of the students want to learn and they have used the bottom set English class simply for our entertainment. I would not call it a challenging school by any means, it is simply representative of an average comprehensive.
Original post by Smeggles

People are prats. You get people just as bad in adult workplaces, the only difference is many are more sly about it. I know people from my old job I had before uni that would go behind the backs of one another to try and gain an advantage. Then you had the arguments like on a school playground. Adults can be just as bad. I am afraid thats just life. Put it this way, I'd rather be the authoritative figure in a classroom than be an equal in a busy corporate office where the vultures are out for everyone. I'd rather deal with a child saying my lesson is boring or **** than have a manager at a bank screaming down at me whilst covering me in spit just because he's a bit of a sociopath.

Im not saying teaching is easy but don't let that put you off at all because adults are just as bad and at times can be worse. They're just better at hiding it or covering it up and being devious and sly.
What shocked me about this show was that the behaviour was no worse than at my 'good' -> 'excellent' schools. We had teachers locked in cupboards, chairs thrown out of windows, fights in the classroom etc.

I felt sorry for the girl in the English class who was like 'but I want to learn'.

Also, what made me angry was the way the RE teacher put Kaleb next to the girl who behaved. That's just punishing the good kids. I had to sit next to kids who copy off me, steal me steal, bully me etc. because I was getting good results and I never messed around.

This show just reminds me how much we 'reward' bad behaviour in schools and punish the good kids.
I was one of the 'good' kids at school, never got detention, loved to learn, high grades. Although at the time when a teacher gave us a whole class detention I felt really annoyed as I hadn't done anything, now looking back I actually approve of it. I think that it promotes a sense of collective responsibility, i.e. everybody else in the class actually pressured the disruptive ones to stop their behaviour, behaviour was then a lot better in those classes, and as a result those who wanted to learn were able to learn more. Then the few class members remaining who didn't bow to the pressure/respond positively could be dealt with more seriously by senior management leaving the teacher to concentrate on teaching and basic behaviour management as it should be. Looking back I now have much more respect for the stricter teachers and feel I learnt most in those classes.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
I had to sit next to kids who copy off me, steal me steal, bully me etc. because I was getting good results and I never messed around.

However I do agree with this - I was often used as a 'buffer' between naughty kids in seating plans and the same thing happened - I was copied off and picked on. On one overseas school holiday which we had paid over £500 each to go on, the teachers actually split up me and my well-behaved friends in order to sit us next to various unpleasant people on the coach to keep them apart, then went downstairs leaving us alone to be bullied and picked on. It's stayed with me to this day and I never quite understand those teachers' actions to this date.
Did the maths teacher seriously take Zac SHOOTING? Quite controversial..
Surely he's not allowed to take them shooting? :eek:
The Maths teacher comes across very well, whereas Miss Noronha seems hopeless - she'll be sacked I reckon!
Charles seems okay, as does the Science teacher lady.
Others are weird.
is the geography teacher kinda hot? i was just debating.
Original post by KICHMYARSE
is the geography teacher kinda hot? i was just debating.

oh yeah. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending