The Student Room Group

PGCE Primary interview- Current educational issues

Hi, I've got an interview for Primary PGCE this Friday and wondered if anyone could help me with the current issues?
Also if anyone knows any information about the Maths and English tests, that would be great help.

Thanks
Reply 1
I'd check the BBC Education section, TES, The Guardian Education, just to name a few.
I think the English and Maths tests vary at each institution (I'm presuming you're not on about the QTS tests!), the tests I had at Leicester were only 15 mins each and were fairly straight-forward.

Good luck for your interview though :smile:
Hi sarahbarnes93,

I hope your interview day went well at cambridge. Would you be able to tell of your experience? What was the day like? How difficult/easy were the tests? What was your essay about? What interview questions you had?

Much appreciated
Reply 3
What are the main current educational issues at the moment? New curriculum aside.

Thanks
Original post by PMA_13
What are the main current educational issues at the moment? New curriculum aside.

Thanks

SEN inclusion in mainstream schools was mentioned by quite a few interviewees in my group interview. I had to do a presentation on 'current educational issues facing teachers today' I did mine on raising attainment in disadvantaged pupils (the attainment gap). I included things like how pupil premium could be used and I got offered a place :smile:
Hope this helps
Reply 5
I brought up the Michael Gove WW1. Also gave a nice wee quote from David Blunkett after is was announced that Citizenship would be retained on the curriculum. Hopefully it impressed.
Hi, I have 3 interviews coming up for a primary PGCE and trying to find out about the CURRENT issues which are facing teachers.....anyone have any ideas?? Do you think that I could still talk about trying to improve the level of attainment of SEN pupils as this is a current educational policy..?
Original post by abbieinnes
Hi, I have 3 interviews coming up for a primary PGCE and trying to find out about the CURRENT issues which are facing teachers.....anyone have any ideas?? Do you think that I could still talk about trying to improve the level of attainment of SEN pupils as this is a current educational policy..?

schoolsimprovement.net and Teacher Roar are always good for a bit of background reading although I'm not sure that the controversy over teacher workload would be good to discussion at interview!

SEN is a good topic to choose as there's so much to say about it, especially the Code of Practice 2014 which is so very different to the long-established 2001 version.
There's been plenty of stuff in the news recently. This is what I've been thinking about: (mainly primary)

- Immigration and its effect on schools. Overcrowding, demand for places, children speaking different languages +ve/-ves of it
- Nicky Morgan's policies regarding workload, the 'Workload Challenge survey'- will they listen to teacher's opinions?
- Changes to Ofsted- they no longer grade individual lessons, focus on accountability and evidence, impact on workload
- Baseline assessments being introduced for 4 year olds, national curriculum levels being scrapped and not replaced
- Teaching being dominated by women yet men hold the top jobs
- Professor Coe's 'What makes good teaching?' report
- The pupil premium, the PE and sport premium
- Government policies regarding the setting up of free schools and academy conversions
- SEN, the Equalities Act and how it relates to schools. There's contradicting evidence of how the current government help/hinder inclusion
- The Education Act and its impact for schools and behaviour management policies
- Recent changes regarding school meals, homework hours and term time holidays
That's amazing, thanks so much!
Reply 10
The inclusion and/or promotion of British values in schools might be something worth considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending