The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by kidomo
Welcome back:smile: I haven't seen you in ages! How are you getting on with your studies?

All good thanks - finally on the wards! How have you been? :smile:

Just to add to the above discussion, I reckon I get about 5 hours sleep on weeknights...the result of this is I can fall asleep just about anywhere reasonably comfortable and quiet :redface:
Reply 581
My favourite quote ever from House came up when I watched an episode recently. They had discovered liver cells just underneath a patient's armpit, and House asks his team:

"So, did Greys Anatomy get it all wrong?"
Reply 582
Quick question for the senior medics/doctors...if I find myself with nothing to do on the ward I'm supposed to be based on and the SHO has told me there's no patients to see or examine, is it okay to wander off to A&E or AMU and try to find a patient there to practice history taking and examination? I did this yesterday but I'm thinking if it becomes a frequent thing it might just piss off the A&E team since I'm not officially based there...thoughts?

Was a fun experience yesterday though :colondollar: :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 583
Original post by Democracy
Quick question for the senior medics/doctors...if I find myself with nothing to do on the ward I'm supposed to be based on and the SHO has told me there's no patients to see or examine, is it okay to wander off to A&E or AMU and try to find a patient there to practice history taking and examination? I did this yesterday but I'm thinking if it becomes a frequent thing it might just piss off the A&E team since I'm not officially based there...thoughts?

Usually not a problem, just don't tread on the toes of any students doing their A&E placement down there.
Reply 584
Original post by Helenia
Usually not a problem, just don't tread on the toes of any students doing their A&E placement down there.

Cheers, I hoped that would be the case :smile:

Depends on the hospital. We've been told in no uncertain terms that it is not ok to do this.
Reply 586
Original post by kidomo
But there is no doubt that it is good for your health, according to sleep experts..

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/02/afternoon-nap-good-for-you

If you could somehow break that vicious cycle first....

how many hours are you getting now?

The words 'no doubt' should never follow a piece of science from a newspaper.

I think there's some evidence that naps no longer than 30 minutes can promote wakefulness but 'good for your health' is vague.

Right now I'm on a surgery placement, which means I usually have to be in the hospital for 08:00. So on weekdays I get like 5 hours. Weekends it's double :coma:

Our A&E team love keen students. And if you are going there instead og going home then you are very keen indeed!
Reply 588
Original post by navarre
My favourite quote ever from House came up when I watched an episode recently. They had discovered liver cells just underneath a patient's armpit, and House asks his team:

"So, did Greys Anatomy get it all wrong?"

I remember that episode! I think I'm addicted to House...:tongue:
Reply 589
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Depends on the hospital. We've been told in no uncertain terms that it is not ok to do this.

Original post by nexttime
Our A&E team love keen students. And if you are going there instead og going home then you are very keen indeed!

Cheers guys, went again this afternoon...the staff are so friendly and they were happy for me to do anything I wanted really...such a good experience! :p:
Reply 590
Cheers guys, went again this afternoon...the staff are so friendly and they were happy for me to do anything I wanted really...such a good experience! :p:

If someone flags it as a problem you can always plead ignorance. Until that point, if it ever comes (unlikely), enjoy!
Reply 591

I've done this and it hasn't been a problem. I just speak to one of the nurses beforehand and they're happy to have me there. Although one of the staff did start laughing at me and saying I was being very keen. :tongue:
Reply 592

Places I have been to instead of my ward.

1. League of friends (buttered fruit rolls are out of this world!)
2. Home
3. League of friends
4. Home
5. Pub

Hats off to you sir :biggrin:
Falls, falls, falls, today was all falls, plus absolutely the most textbook LBBB I've ever seen on a real ECG. Exciting times tomorrow, Friday night on the ambulance in Nottingham. I predict vomit.

:lol: This will not last. :rofl:
Reply 594
I paid my elective tuition fee today! Ridiculous, not going for 15 months...

I think it's a good idea as long as you're not taking somebody else's territory. I've found MAU to be a lot better for all the acute exam stuff than ward stuff.
Reply 595
Ah, perspective. A day of postnatal checks and they all seem so tiny. A day on NICU and the one term baby on the unit suddenly looks so very big.

Original post by Beska

I think it's a good idea as long as you're not taking somebody else's territory. I've found MAU to be a lot better for all the acute exam stuff than ward stuff.

MAU is great for learning - the most tired I've ever been (we had a consultant who would make us do a full day shift, then a full night shift, then the full day shift the next day) but also the most productive I've ever been. I think it's criminal we only get 3 weeks there.
Just discovered that I can have multiple copies of the same book borrowed at once....

I now am hoarding 2 out of 4 copies available.

:devil:
Reply 597
Original post by hslakaal
Just discovered that I can have multiple copies of the same book borrowed at once....

I now am hoarding 2 out of 4 copies available.

:devil:

Why? :confused:
Original post by DexterM
Why? :confused:

I've already had one borrowed to use at home, but it's wayyy too big to chug around to uni - work - library on a daily basis, so usually just used a copy from the shelf when at library, but there's a separate 24 hour study space where you can't take books into without borrowing them. So, once the library closes at 1, if I wanna use it, I've gotta borrow it, so I've just borrowed it. Just gonna pop it in the returns box before going home later though.
Original post by Sarky
Places I have been to instead of my ward.

1. League of friends (buttered fruit rolls are out of this world!)
2. Home
3. League of friends
4. Home
5. Pub

Hats off to you sir :biggrin:

The hospital where I did my O&G had the best league of friends cafe in the world. And there was a Morrisons just over the road.

Shockingly, I gained weight during those 10 weeks.

Latest

Trending

Trending