The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes

Some admissions tutors actually consider it to be a very valid A level (especially if you're doing all science A levels they know that it involevs essay writing).
Some admissions tutors consider it to be a good indicator of university success (and so tend to be pretty harsh on people who don't get good grades in it).
Some admissions tutors think it's a waste of time.

The Times league tables and the Guardian League tables consider it to be a full A level.

As a byproduct of this most universities consider it to be a full A level when they set targets.

Therefore most admissions tutors will be more inclined to accept a student who has missed a grade but got an A level in GS than a student who has missed a grade without an A level in GS...
What do you actually study in gs?
It depends on the university. Some top universities completely disregard it, most won't accept it as part of your offer but might look favourably on it and others will accept it as they would any other A-level. Prospectuses should tell you what the universities you're considering applying to think about it.
Reply 4
It doest cary much worth with universities, but I do think it has some relevance in the individual's life. Recapping basic GCSE stuff that you dont necessarily do at A level can be useful and may be very helpful at some point in your life, but I'm not sure it warrants a whole A level.
Reply 5
My school doesnt offer GS :frown: should I be worried?
Reply 6
lil_one

No. You can get it explained in your reference if you think it will have an effect though
lil_one

I don't see why, a lot of universities don't see it as a proper A-level anyway and lots of students resent having it forced on them. My school doesn't offer it either and I still got 5/6 offers.
lil_one

No, you should be happy! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Kquishir
does it?..can it influence your offer?

Not unless you are applying somehwere pretty crap.
Reply 10
allymcb2

that's a bit harsh, there are some fairly decent universities that will accept it.

we have to do it, every year the sixth formers try and get out of it but it never works.
they offered it for GCSE this year so most of us took it just to get an extra GCSE- it was such a joke though, no one took it seriously!
Reply 11
allymcb2

I wouldn't call Leeds, Sussex and Southampton pretty crap. They all accept General Studies for History and Southampton even included it in my offer. On the other hand, Canterbury Christ Church accept it for practically everything, and their standard offer is CC. I'm sorry, but if you only get a C in General Studies and a C in another subject you are not university material.
Reply 12
depends entirely on the course and institution... generally the russel group unis don't accept it, but they won't penalise you if you HAVE taken it, so long as you have 3 other a levels.

i took the whole a level in 1 year without having any lessons...got an A, which was useful as even if they don't accept it, you will still stand out over someone without it who is relying on their AS grades alone.
does it?..can it influence your offer?

Hell yes! Sheffield counts it and Sheffield is bloody good. I'm partly relying on my general studies grade to get in.
Reply 14
lil_one

My college does but I didn't take it but I still got 6 offers, including some top 10 universities (including Imperial College).

Don't fret, just concentrate on what you have control over :wink:
Reply 15
KerriT
I wouldn't call Leeds, Sussex and Southampton pretty crap. .

I would
Reply 16
allymcb2
I would

ok, ok league tables suck but i still wouldn't call 22nd, 27th and 34th bad out of all the unis.
alispam
ok, ok league tables suck but i still wouldn't call 22nd, 27th and 34th bad out of all the unis.

Nor would I, and I thought Southampton especially was pretty good :confused: but if I remember rightly from a thread a while ago, allymcb2 seems to think all universities other than Oxbridge are crap :rolleyes:
Reply 18
well Leeds is hardly crap!
Reply 19
Essex is not crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending