The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
white_haired_wizard
some portray themselves as dumb....dizzy....looks and no substance image portrayel...

which i wish they wouldnt do. Akin to ITVs football anchorwoman, cant remember her name right now, but from a recent article i read of hers, she comes across as a highly articulate woman, cetainly not the same persona she gives out when football coverage comes around...many people arent for this dumbing down, which i feel often materializes...

You have problems. Are they portraying themselves that way or are you interpreting them that way? You're the one making those judgements, seems to me you assume women on TV must be stupid if they're not overweight and ugly which makes me pity you.
I currently work as a Runner and i'd say it is one way to get into it. I've colleagues that have made the leap from behind the scenes to presenting. However, most of these people have acquired jobs after being approached and haven't set out for a career in presenting, they applied wanting to work in production. If you are genuinely interested in making good tv but then find yourself beind approached then i'd say go for it, but if you're only applying to 'get on the telly,' most production managers will see through this. I'd say if you know you want to be a presenter, get an agent!

OH and also, if you want to work in tv production, a broadcast journalism/media degree isn't necessary. I don't have a degree (yet) although i am going to university September. I've plenty of friends that started at 16 and worked their way up and are now really far into their game/equally many with non media related degrees who are doing just as well. Employers will look for enthusiasm, intelligence and hard work - a degree may help but won't be the be all end all. However, if you want to present news, i think you'll need a degree in broadcast journalism (i'm not 100% sure that's the right degree, but know you will need something journalism related.) If you want to work in weather presenting you'll need science related subjects. Hope this helps - good luck!
puppy
You have problems. Are they portraying themselves that way or are you interpreting them that way? You're the one making those judgements, seems to me you assume women on TV must be stupid if they're not overweight and ugly which makes me pity you.

you have problems with interpreting observations, then spinning them into something they don't represent.

I have never assumed women on TV must be stupid if they are good-looking, aesthetically pleasing...bla bla... My point was, and my only point was, that good-lookers shouldn't dumb down...something which i believe some to do so. An example is that Penny woman (her full name, i can't remember) off ITV, maybe she is bright, surely she has something in the upstairs department for her to have got to the occupational position she finds (and maintains) herself in today, but she IMO, acts rather dizzy...

Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes, looks, colours......

I pity your poor interpretation skills.
Reply 23
white_haired_wizard
you have problems with interpreting observations, then spinning them into something they don't represent.

I have never assumed women on TV must be stupid if they are good-looking, aesthetically pleasing...bla bla... My point was, and my only point was, that good-lookers shouldn't dumb down...something which i believe some to do so. An example is that Penny woman (her full name, i can't remember) off ITV, maybe she is bright, surely she has something in the upstairs department for her to have got to the occupational position she finds (and maintains) herself in today, but she IMO, acts rather dizzy...

Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes, looks, colours......

I pity your poor interpretation skills.

Why do you associate people acting 'dizzy' with stupidity and 'dumbing down' maybe that's how that person acts all the time? That's interpreting people's behaviour in a way that makes assumptions about their personality and intelligence which is ridiculous.
puppy
Why do you associate people acting 'dizzy' with stupidity and 'dumbing down' maybe that's how that person acts all the time? That's interpreting people's behaviour in a way that makes assumptions about their personality and intelligence which is ridiculous.

Sure, maybe it isn't how the person acts all the time, and they, for reasons only they know, do it for some effect or other...

My point was, i wish women didn't do this acting all dizzy and dumbing down presentation, when, out of this specific situation, they are not like this....i think an acting dizzy when one is genuinely an intellectual person, can be associated with a stupidity - stupid and reckless for even wanting to create such an impression...Some people don't wish to create this effect but do, whilst others do so as to manipulate an audience to their own advantage, i.e. john leslie's ex girlfriend, i (and i'm not alone on this) feel she chose to dumb down as a personality thus to acquire a healthy income from not only magazine shoots but presenting jobs...she saw that there was a market for her, and manipulated 'it'/mainly men, to her gain...so i wouldn't say this deliberately contrived dizziness is inherently stupid, rather credit where credit is due, as she's manipulating the chavs et al of this world...
Reply 25
white_haired_wizard
Sure, maybe it isn't how the person acts all the time, and they, for reasons only they know, do it for some effect or other...

My point was, i wish women didn't do this acting all dizzy and dumbing down presentation, when, out of this specific situation, they are not like this....i think an acting dizzy when one is genuinely an intellectual person, can be associated with a stupidity - stupid and reckless for even wanting to create such an impression...Some people don't wish to create this effect but do, whilst others do so as to manipulate an audience to their own advantage, i.e. john leslie's ex girlfriend, i (and i'm not alone on this) feel she chose to dumb down as a personality thus to acquire a healthy income from not only magazine shoots but presenting jobs...she saw that there was a market for her, and manipulated 'it'/mainly men, to her gain...so i wouldn't say this deliberately contrived dizziness is inherently stupid, rather credit where credit is due, as she's manipulating the chavs et al of this world...

I still think it's sad that you put that much thought and analysis into what women may or may not be doing- seems like insecurity to me. I also resent the 'I'd rather women did x, y and z' comment- that's not really your call. I'm happy just to let people get up to what they want and act as they want. It's not a good idea to judge people like that, it can backfire on you in a serious way; one day you might find yourself assuming the boss of a company is the secretary just because you have some rather skewed ideas about women and you'll make an ass of yourself.
puppy
I still think it's sad that you put that much thought and analysis into what women may or may not be doing- seems like insecurity to me. I also resent the 'I'd rather women did x, y and z' comment- that's not really your call. I'm happy just to let people get up to what they want and act as they want. It's not a good idea to judge people like that, it can backfire on you in a serious way; one day you might find yourself assuming the boss of a company is the secretary just because you have some rather skewed ideas about women and you'll make an ass of yourself.

insecurity?? :confused: pffttt...you stoop to new lows.

I don't have skewed ideas about women, i haven't shown myself to having them, you've just been on some kind of pathetic mission to wanting myself to possess them. Look, you may have fallen out of the wrong side of the bed and hit your head on the adjacent cupboard, you may have been involved in a minor road crash incident and broken your left leg (hence the bad mood)......or you may naturally be a moody little sod who looks into things in a crazy, misinterpretative way....but don't take that crap out on me....

I'm not the dictatorial kind, ok, if women want to act dizzy, then go right ahead, but it bemuses and disappoints me when they do so, when they are betraying their real nature...i hardly call this having a skewed idea about women, rather an opinion, one in which you continue to choose to distort, consciously or subconsciously. I think you have paranoia issues.
Reply 27
white_haired_wizard
insecurity?? :confused: pffttt...you stoop to new lows.

I don't have skewed ideas about women, i haven't shown myself to having them, you've just been on some kind of pathetic mission to wanting myself to possess them. Look, you may have fallen out of the wrong side of the bed and hit your head on the adjacent cupboard, you may have been involved in a minor road crash incident and broken your left leg (hence the bad mood)......or you may naturally be a moody little sod who looks into things in a crazy, misinterpretative way....but don't take that crap out on me....

I'm not the dictatorial kind, ok, if women want to act dizzy, then go right ahead, but it bemuses and disappoints me when they do so, when they are betraying their real nature...i hardly call this having a skewed idea about women, rather an opinion, one in which you continue to choose to distort, consciously or subconsciously. I think you have paranoia issues.

Bah
Reply 28
Hey people! I'm a youth T.V presenter for a minor T.V station, TAGTV and I've actually got my debut on camera on 9th September. I'm sooo excited. I'm interviewing several MPs including Oona King and Hazel Blears hopefully (if they turn up) at the Progress annual conference.

I've just finished emailing my producer with possible lines of questioning for our documentary on young people and their role in society.
Reply 29
If anyone is really that desperate for work experience chat to me on msn, add me at [email protected], omg can't believe I just did that. Please don't add me for any other reason.
puppy
Bah

My impression throughout dearest :smile:
Reply 31
white_haired_wizard
My impression throughout dearest :smile:

Sorry I simply can't continue the debate as I'm a woman and far too stupid.
puppy
Sorry I simply can't continue the debate as I'm a woman and far too stupid.

I can't imagine the visibility being that great when your head's so far up your own arse, puppy..
Reply 33
white_haired_wizard
I can't imagine the visibility being that great when your head's so far up your own arse, puppy..

With good reason
*yawn*

Latest

Trending

Trending