The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Primary PGCE @ Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Starting the Primary 5-9 in September :smile: So excited! Haven't started the precourse tasks yet either, literally only looked at them today...so nervous as there seems like a lot to do before we start??!! I feel like I'll forget to do something or miss something out completely :/ Xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
So happy to finally see people who are starting this year...the Facebook group doesn't appear to have any new members since last year? This can't be right surely?
I'm doing 5-9, can't wait to get started now! Desperate to know my schools hah
I just happened to notice this thread ... I have just completed the PGCE at Leeds Uni so if anyone has any questions then I would be more than happy to answer them :smile:

Facebook groups - there will be a group set up especially for 2014-2015 so I wouldn't worry too much about setting up your own as after your first day you will all be split into your teaching groups (1-4) and each group generally sets up their own facebook page then :wink:

Schools - Your placements will vary and most people gained experience in rural and inner city schools - they do take into consideration where you live and your travel needs (IIRC there is a form you fill out about driving/car share/access to public transport etc.) I ended up with a school VERY near to where I live (approx 5-10 minute drive) and then a school nearer to Leeds which was about a 40 minute drive. I don't know if this will be the same again this year but last year there were two types of placement 'Traditional' and 'Cluster' - if it is the same again this year then you will find out the differences between the two but I know that Uni were wanting to go ahead with Cluster (which is brilliant) so they may have arranged it differently for you guys :smile: We didn't find out schools straight away (and it is the worst wait!) but you aren't thrown in too deeply as you have an alternate timetable at the start where you are in school one day and then the rest of the week at Uni, and then the following week you are in school all week - and it follows the same pattern for a few weeks.

Pre-Course tasks - What do you have to do? I'm intrigued :P It does seem like a lot but they are pretty simple once you start them - our EPS task just ensured that everyone was starting off at the same level so to speak by making us research SEN, EYFS, National Curriculum etc. (N.B I ended up buying a printed copy of the new National Curriculum and it helped me out so much when planning ... but there is an App called Pocket Curriculum which basically seperates out all the subjects so you can navigate much easier, by second placement I put it on my iPad and had it by the side of me whilst planning). English pre course doesn't get used straight away (if it is still favourite poem/children's book etc.) and I think we used Science in about the second/third week.

PGCE was the most nerve-wracking and stressful thing I have ever done but it was totally amazing and I met some of the best people (as cheesy as it sounds!)

If you do have any questions then feel free to ask (or PM me) ... and I apologise for butting into your post!

Hope you enjoy PGCE!
Reply 23
Original post by _RachelW
Hey just seen this thread :smile: I'm starting Primary PGCE 7-11 at Leeds in September too!
I'm commuting though as I live quite near to Leeds. How's anyone found all the pre-course tasks?

Hi there, I'm Dan, I'm doing 7-11 also. Pre course tasks went well - had to revise the Maths a lot though!

I've been able to access my timetable but I've got no idea what's happening on the first day - where we meet, what time etc etc - does anyone else have this problem??
Hey Dan
I think a new document has been added to the new starter documents file (off the top of my head I think it's called "induction programme") it's a more detailed timetable for each day of our first week at uni- hope that helps.
Ps. Glad I wasn't the only one having to revise maths haha! Can't wait to get started.
Reply 25
Original post by Roxanne87
Hey Dan
I think a new document has been added to the new starter documents file (off the top of my head I think it's called "induction programme") it's a more detailed timetable for each day of our first week at uni- hope that helps.
Ps. Glad I wasn't the only one having to revise maths haha! Can't wait to get started.

Hi - thanks Roxanne, think that's called having a 'man look' - right in front of me and I couldn't see it!

Quick Reply

Latest