The Student Room Group

Follow up after interview for the 3rd time?

So in mid January, I had an interview with a large well-known engineering company for a graduate position that I've always wanted. The interview was OK. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't like an 'I aced it!' kinda thing. At the end of the interview, the director (one of my interviewers) gave me a tour around the office to meet some of their key people and look at some of the projects they were working on. At the very end, he said that I will receive a response in a few weeks.

3 weeks went by with no response. I messaged a friend of mine who was also called in for an interview and he said he had a rejection letter sent to his address within 2 weeks. Since I haven't heard back, I called the company and spoke to the secretary, who had always been my point of contact since arranging the interview times, etc. This was around midday on a monday. She apologised and said that I should have heard back by now, but the director is away for a few days so I will get a call back latest thursday.

Thursday went by, and I received no reply. That friday, I decided to send both her and the director an email basically saying that I am still interested in the position and waiting for a reply. This was 1.5 weeks ago, and I haven't heard back.

So the question is.... should I call again? Should I assume I was unsuccessful? Or should I assume they are still taking time with their decision and let them be?

Thanks.

P.S I am still applying to other places. I haven't been lounging around waiting by the phone. It's just incredibly annoying for someone to tell me they'd reply on x date but then don't.
Bump. Any opinions?
To be honest man, I had interviews for placements at biggest companies like NATS, GE Aviation and I am done with the waiting game. These companies just don't care and there is no point following up. Its a lack of courtesy that they possess.
I know how frustrating it can be but even I am done with it. I would prefer to have a rejection rather than just waiting and waiting.
And the end result that I had, was a rejection after waiting weeks for it. So, presumably you should just keep on applying. Good luck mate! Sorry to hear you are in the same waiting game as hundreds of us.
Original post by armaanwadhwa
And the end result that I had, was a rejection after waiting weeks for it. So, presumably you should just keep on applying. Good luck mate! Sorry to hear you are in the same waiting game as hundreds of us.

Thanks. Yeah I'd be quite fine with a rejection at this point. Any firm answer would do! How long did you wait for?
I would have just assumed they don't get back to unsuccessful applicants, but they have with a friend of mine some weeks ago.
For both of the interviews I got rejected, I had to wait like 2 weeks maybe before I got the rejection. Its all confusing, no one knows the actual reasons why companies reject plus these big shots doesn't care about informing the people, they just don't care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending