The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Applied to the University of Hertfordshire but I'm scared?

Hi, so I accepted my offer to do Human Resources Management undergraduate starting in Sept. I've heard some negative comments but when I went for an open day the students and staff were all super helpful and positive/ cheery. The accommodation and buildings were super and I love how its all modern and my course sounds good! I only visited the DeHallivand campus but London's near by, there's a cinema and nearby towns and cities too, I'm quite excited and know some people who really like it. Anyone else applying or already there? x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Resh19
Hi, so I accepted my offer to do Human Resources Management undergraduate starting in Sept. I've heard some negative comments but when I went for an open day the students and staff were all super helpful and positive/ cheery. The accommodation and buildings were super and I love how its all modern and my course sounds good! I only visited the DeHallivand campus but London's near by, there's a cinema and nearby towns and cities too, I'm quite excited and know some people who really like it. Anyone else applying or already there? x

Hertfordshire's a very welcoming place; they enjoy the presence of students. I wouldn't be scared :smile:. I'm not a student there but my family live right next to the university, so if you have any questions about the area feel free.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by i-love-coffee
Hertfordshire's a very welcoming place; they enjoy the presence of students. I wouldn't be scared :smile:. I'm not a student there but my family live right next to the university, so if you have any questions about the area feel free.

Ahh thanks thats nice to hear, I've heard the town can be a tad bit boring, whats it like?. I mean as longs as theres a supermarket and The Galleria is there too which skunds alright. I'll be coming home weekends anyway, im not too fussed its not like im a party animal. I love how Elizabeth I Hatfield House is there too! :smile:
Original post by Resh19
Ahh thanks thats nice to hear, I've heard the town can be a tad bit boring, whats it like?. I mean as longs as theres a supermarket and The Galleria is there too which skunds alright. I'll be coming home weekends anyway, im not too fussed its not like im a party animal. I love how Elizabeth I Hatfield House is there too! :smile:

Hi Resh19,

Firstly, congratulations on getting your offer and for accepting it to study HR at the University of Hertfordshire.

We are glad that you had a good experience at our Open Day and found the Staff and Students who were on hand helpful and friendly. The University has many great academic and social facilities for our students, whatever you like doing, there is something for everyone.

Hatfield town centre as you said has an ASDA and The Galleria is also very close to de Havilland. St Albans and Watford as well as London are very close by Bus and Train. These all have great social and shopping facilities which some of the students at the University often travel to.

I myself and a student at the University currently on a placement year. I am studying a Business and IT course and have found that the Business school (where you will be studying) has some great student support and facilities on hand to its students. I was nervous when starting at the University but settled in very quickly making lots of friends with my flat mates as well as other people on my course.

All I would say is don't worry, everyone is in the same boat either living with new people, being away from home for the first time and starting somewhere new. Everyone at UH is friendly and is here to support you.

We look forward to welcoming you to UH in September and if you have any questions please do ask. Also, please join us on our social media below and feel free to ask questions via these as well:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/uniofherts
Twitter - @DiscoverUH and @UniofHerts

Kind Regards

Chris
University of Hertfordshire Official Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi Resh19,

Firstly, congratulations on getting your offer and for accepting it to study HR at the University of Hertfordshire.

We are glad that you had a good experience at our Open Day and found the Staff and Students who were on hand helpful and friendly. The University has many great academic and social facilities for our students, whatever you like doing, there is something for everyone.

Hatfield town centre as you said has an ASDA and The Galleria is also very close to de Havilland. St Albans and Watford as well as London are very close by Bus and Train. These all have great social and shopping facilities which some of the students at the University often travel to.

I myself and a student at the University currently on a placement year. I am studying a Business and IT course and have found that the Business school (where you will be studying) has some great student support and facilities on hand to its students. I was nervous when starting at the University but settled in very quickly making lots of friends with my flat mates as well as other people on my course.

All I would say is don't worry, everyone is in the same boat either living with new people, being away from home for the first time and starting somewhere new. Everyone at UH is friendly and is here to support you.

We look forward to welcoming you to UH in September and if you have any questions please do ask. Also, please join us on our social media below and feel free to ask questions via these as well:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/uniofherts
Twitter - @DiscoverUH and @UniofHerts

Kind Regards

Chris
University of Hertfordshire Official Rep

Ahh thank you, much obliged for the reasuring words, lets hope I get the grades, I'm excited!!!
Original post by Resh19

I'm not applying, and neither am I a student, however, during sixth form (and living in a town nearby) we have had several visits to the uni. It really does have a positive feel and I do believe that it's a nice environment for people to study in!

Also, knowing the area relatively well, I think that the surrounding areas and places to go are very nice - as someone said previously, Hertfordshire is a very welcoming place, and I hope that you'll enjoy your time there! :-)
Original post by Resh19

Yeah the town is really boring.. it's just a crappy run down centre because the galleria has taken most of the business really. The galleria is good, has cinema, restaurants etc. but i think you'd be bored after a year.

Your more likely to end up in the neighbouring town of St Albans (free uni buses run there all day long) which has a massive park, bigger town centre with lots of shops, lots of restaurants and bars.

If your not a party animal then that's good, there's the uni club but apart from that the best clubs around here mean trecking into London or Watford
Reply 7
Original post by Resh19

I'm a third year and I love it. We have 27,500 students at Hertfordshire, so you'll get a vast range of experiences, not everyone loves it, but you'll have many more who do. But then no university has 100% student satisfaction.

I've never really found the lack of shops an issue, I'm not a huge club goer either, and St albans is a 20 min bus ride away, so are other shopping towns and places to go. Hatfield itself isn't great, but it's literally only an issue if you're lazy.
Reply 8
Hi, I'm studying the same course at herts starting in september(:
Reply 9
I'm studying the same course in September(:
Reply 10
Original post by Sagal212
I'm studying the same course in September(:

omg really? Haven't found anyone doing this course yet, haha are u staying on the de hallivand campus then?
Hi, I've been accepted to study Business and Psychology, however I haven't had a chance to visit the university since it's too far from home, like 4 hours away! :'( Could anyone tell me more about both campuses and the business and psychology department? Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
I'm going to go into my second year in Sept/Oct but overall, I've had a good experience. The atmosphere is good and the lecturers are generally friendly and great characters. The Galleria is literally a two minute walk from the De Hav campus and in all honesty, there's not really much to do there. There's quite a few restaurants I'll admit but shop wise, there's not much for young people/students. There's an Odeon which is great, a bit expensive than the one at home but it's great when there's a film out and you can go watch it before anyone else knowing it won't be busy. I'm a commuter but I'm yet to explore Hatfield, which I will do come second year :smile:

There's also a shuttle bus that comes every ten minutes so you can hop on and visit College Lane (you can walk it too if you don't mind the exercise). Some of the good things about De Hav are: modern buildings/facilities, vending machines so you can churn your hunger, sport village (which I didn't make the most of but hopefully will do in second year and become more involved) comfy seating areas i.e. the mezzazine (or however its pronounced, I just call it the mezzy). One thing that's annoying though is the library which you'll find is always full and it's hard to find a computer to work out. Pretty much 90% of the people do work but the rest just hang round the computers not doing anything- and the heat! It's always so hot in the library so be warned!
Original post by Resh19

I applied to study HR too! :smile: but i applied for accommodation on the college lane campus because the accom was nicer and theres a free shuttle bus between the campuses.
Reply 14
Original post by choward96
I applied to study HR too! :smile: but i applied for accommodation on the college lane campus because the accom was nicer and theres a free shuttle bus between the campuses.

Aw great, yeah that campus accom is nice I would just rather be closer so I can get a lie in haha, see you there hopefully!
Reply 15
Just got an offer for single on sweet accommodation to stay at de Havilland Campus! Does anyone know how the commendation is in there? Is any one else doing paramedic science and lining at de Havilland Campus? Thanks in advance =)
Original post by Dori1985
Just got an offer for single on sweet accommodation to stay at de Havilland Campus! Does anyone know how the commendation is in there? Is any one else doing paramedic science and lining at de Havilland Campus? Thanks in advance =)

I'm living on De Havilland. Which flat are you in?
Reply 17
Original post by sophbrook
I'm living on De Havilland. Which flat are you in?

Sorry i moved to Townhouse in College Lane as when I went there to see the flat I was told that I can't park the car there and my lecturers will take place in College Lane so I decided to move... now I will be going in Collage Lane campus!

p.s I don't know if you have seen the student halls but they were in a nice quiet area not like Collage Lane where there are doing campus development!
Reply 18
yhup, and same don't know anyone studying the same course as me apart from you haha.. and no im commuting, don't live too far from herts, what about you?
Reply 19
Original post by Resh19

I am studying HR as well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending