The Student Room Group

Frustrating feedback, what next?

Hello,

I'm looking for advice - what you would do essentially if you were in my situation.

I sent my application late, it was only sent just last week. I'd received an absolutely fantastic reference from my employer, and I felt my application was also strong - but due to the lateness of my application, I was worried I would not get anywhere this year.

I was however offered an interview for a Schools Direct place. I attended the interview today.

The feedback I got was:

Your interview skills are brilliant. (My interview actually lasted about an hour and a half, the other candidate was in there for around half an hour)

My 40min lesson was great

The answers in my interview would have been pretty much the same as what the current head of history would have given

My work history is second to none for this position (Business management, writing lesson plans, IT support, Topman etc)

I got on well with every member of staff I spoke to, even the HR admin assistant who I spoke to for a very long time before and after interview

I have the right ideas about the role of a teacher, the role of a school and so on

After two phone conversations with the Head of History, he's said that the school Governor was worried that I might not stay at the school over the longer term. Despite the fact I have lived in this small area for the past five months already! Also, despite telling them I would be leaving a secure job, to do something I really wanted to do. They stated at the start of the day that they have a high level of staff turnover, and that this placement is not a job, but rather a training course.

I'm struggling to see where I went wrong, they're saying I have the very real potential to be 'a very good teacher' and to 'not give up', with 'education being strange to get into'. Pushing further, it was just the worry over me staying on after the training was completed, that put them off and that there were slight worries over me teaching A level History (not really part of the job as a secondary History teacher anyway, and this wasn't mentioned in interview either, I didn't even know they would be looking for this).

I'm feeling obviously disappointed and we all have set backs. But now I'm really struggling to think of what to do next. I've withdrawn my application from the IOE because I've decided schools based training is really what I want to do, especially after today.

How would you change your approach next time? I've got one schools direct programme I am waiting to get back to me.

I just don't fully follow what is being said to me. My interview was great. my lesson was great, I'd fit into the team, and I'd be a good teacher, yet they're not offering me or the other candidate a position, and they've also said they've not had many applications. <- seriously, WHAT?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by super.teve
Hello,

I'm looking for advice - what you would do essentially if you were in my situation.

I sent my application late, it was only sent just last week. I'd received an absolutely fantastic reference from my employer, and I felt my application was also strong - but due to the lateness of my application, I was worried I would not get anywhere this year.

I was however offered an interview for a Schools Direct place. I attended the interview today.

The feedback I got was:

Your interview skills are brilliant. (My interview actually lasted about an hour and a half, the other candidate was in there for around half an hour)

The answers in my interview would have been pretty much the same as what the current head of history would have given

My work history is second to none for this position (Business management, writing lesson plans, IT support, Topman etc)

I got on well with every member of staff I spoke to, even the HR admin assistant who I spoke to for a very long time before and after interview

I have the right ideas about the role of a teacher, the role of a school and so on

After two phone conversations with the Head of History, he's said that the school Governor was worried that I might not stay at the school over the longer term. Despite the fact I have lived in this small area for the past five months already! Also, despite telling them I would be leaving a secure job, to do something I really wanted to do. They stated at the start of the day that they have a high level of staff turnover, and that this placement is not a job, but rather a training course.

I'm struggling to see where I went wrong, they're saying I have the very real potential to be 'a very good teacher' and to 'not give up', with 'education being strange to get into'. Pushing further, it was just the worry over me staying on after the training was completed, that put them off and that there were slight worries over me teaching A level History (not really part of the job as a secondary History teacher anyway, and this wasn't mentioned in interview either, I didn't even know they would be looking for this).

I'm feeling obviously disappointed and we all have set backs. But now I'm really struggling to think of what to do next. I've withdrawn my application from the IOE because I've decided schools based training is really what I want to do, especially after today.

How would you change your approach next time? I've got one schools direct programme I am waiting to get back to me.

I just don't fully follow what is being said to me. My interview was great. my lesson was great, I'd fit into the team, and I'd be a good teacher, yet they're not offering me or the other candidate a position, and they've also said they've not had many applications. <- seriously, WHAT?

Just to clarify, if your school has a sixth form and teachers a level history then it will be your job to teach it and you will be more often than not expected to.
Next time, show your interest in that specific school and their values etc. Ensure you throw in the idea that you want to settle in the area.
Ultimately, it sounds like the school really liked you but got a bit scared about taking someone on who possible might not stay there. So keep going, apply to different schools based training courses and you will likely get the next one if you do everything right again.
Pushing further, it was just the worry over me staying on after the training was completed, that put them off and that there were slight worries over me teaching A level History (not really part of the job as a secondary History teacher anyway, and this wasn't mentioned in interview either, I didn't even know they would be looking for this).

I would also have been concerned that you did not realise that the term 'secondary' covers ages 11 to 18 in a school with a sixth form.
Reply 3
Hello,

The feedback I got was:

They really liked you but are concerned you won't stay on after the training period - they obviously see you as a high flyer.
As the staff have a high turnover I can see why they would be concerned by this - but if it has a high staff turnover there are obviously issues within the school that some people can't stick - as a professional leaving another career you have life experience that could mean you were more able to deal with whatever these issues may be - were they discussed in the interview stage?

If they haven't selected either of you I would get back to them and say you have moved to the area, you are still keen and are looking to give a long term commitment, you are more than happy to teach a'levels and with the appropraite training (that they will be providing) you are confident you as such a strong candidate you will make a valuable asset to the school
See if putting the ball back in their court makes them re consider.

If not, learn from it and move on - and good luck
Original post by freida20
They really liked you but are concerned you won't stay on after the training period - they obviously see you as a high flyer.
As the staff have a high turnover I can see why they would be concerned by this - but if it has a high staff turnover there are obviously issues within the school that some people can't stick - as a professional leaving another career you have life experience that could mean you were more able to deal with whatever these issues may be - were they discussed in the interview stage?

If they haven't selected either of you I would get back to them and say you have moved to the area, you are still keen and are looking to give a long term commitment, you are more than happy to teach a'levels and with the appropraite training (that they will be providing) you are confident you as such a strong candidate you will make a valuable asset to the school
See if putting the ball back in their court makes them re consider.

If not, learn from it and move on - and good luck

Thanks, that's great advice!

I've called the other school I applied to, but they've since filled the position. They said they filled it before half term, so before my application was even sent.

I then called another school I was interested in apply to, to hear that the person overseeing their programme had left, sigh!

I've since found somewhere else to apply to and spoke to the university coordinator, they said they have several applications ready for interview, so to get in quick!

Fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Thanks, that's great advice!

I've called the other school I applied to, but they've since filled the position. They said they filled it before half term, so before my application was even sent.

I then called another school I was interested in apply to, to hear that the person overseeing their programme had left, sigh!

I've since found somewhere else to apply to and spoke to the university coordinator, they said they have several applications ready for interview, so to get in quick!

Fingers crossed!

ooh thats exciting then - good luck - fingers crossed for you here too. I have one uni near me that does the course (need local due to children and OH's job) and they also said apply quick due to places filling up quick and I am still waiting on my academic reference (sigh) I wish you the est of luck - let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending