The Student Room Group

advice from student ODP's please

Hello, I'm new to this site and hoping to get some advice from Operating department practice students please. I'm 26 years old and have two children, aged 6 and 18 months, I am starting a part time access to HE course this September and am hoping to go on to study to become an ODP at Oxford Brookes. I just wondered what the shift patterns are like so I can gety head around childcare. I understand that I will be required to do a mixture of earlys, lates and nights but how many hours do you need to do a week and can you condense your hours into fewer days?
Thanks in advance xx
Reply 1
Original post by millyj87
Hello, I'm new to this site and hoping to get some advice from Operating department practice students please. I'm 26 years old and have two children, aged 6 and 18 months, I am starting a part time access to HE course this September and am hoping to go on to study to become an ODP at Oxford Brookes. I just wondered what the shift patterns are like so I can gety head around childcare. I understand that I will be required to do a mixture of earlys, lates and nights but how many hours do you need to do a week and can you condense your hours into fewer days?
Thanks in advance xx

The theatres I used to work in used to work a four and a half day week for most staff. As the vast majority of theatre lists run Mon-Fri I'm guessing that's when the majority of your time will be spent on placement. Though a lot of places are now starting weekend lists on top of the normal emergency theatre cover that various places provide. Some places are more flexible than others and may do long shifts so you may be able to condense your hours, but that could even depend on the individual theatre you're in and their attitude towards everything.

Student ODPs where I used to work weren't expected to do nights, though this may be a local policy and may vary depending on where you are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending