The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Unconditional from Sheffield Hallam for Law. Should i accept?

Basically today i am going to finally decide which unis to put as my firm and insurance, the course im taking is Law. Im a little stuck as to which i want to put as my firm. Sheffield hallam have offered me an unconditional as long as i put it as my firm choice and i am tempted to accept. I have attended open days and i have been researching for the past few weeks and it sounds like a good place to study but i was just wondering if any Law students at the uni could tell me what its actually like to study there? Or if anyone who studies another course could tell me what the general day to day vibe is like? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I had the same offer mate! I accepted on Saturday!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Think VERY carefully before you accept an Unconditional offer - it may sound like a dream offer but often it isn't. Its just a very blatant bribe by a low ranking Uni who couldn't otherwise recruit enough students.

Lots of advice here about making Firm/Insurance choices - including 'Unconditional while still taking A levels' - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 3
Hi there Jake,

I am just coming to the end of my final year of law at the "low-ranking" university of Sheffield Hallam.

My experience was an incredibly positive one. All the tutors are on hand to provide feedback and help when needed. The lectures and seminars are all very informative and they have helped me get onto a postgrad teaching course. They hold many events with the leading law schools such as the College of Law and the BPP Law School. They have dedicated careers advice and a dedicated law library.

The other advantage is that you will have a BRAND NEW building at the heart of campus with a brand new mock courtroom and teaching rooms.

By all means do your research on this "low-ranking" university, but you will find that Sheffield Hallam was actually above the Uni of Sheffield in the law league tables...

Hope that helps, and good luck
I have an unconditional from hallam for biochemistry providing I make them my firm also. I'm in a tough situation too as I have an offer from warwick of ABB.
Reply 5
Original post by Biochemist7
I have an unconditional from hallam for biochemistry providing I make them my firm also. I'm in a tough situation too as I have an offer from warwick of ABB.

I had a similar situation, mine was a mix up between Liverpool ABB or Hallam unconditional as my firm. As said above for a ''low ranking'' university Hallam seemed amazing and the fact its in a city where i feel more comfortable and the added bonus of lowering the stress factor during exams (i suffer a lot with this) i had to choose it. Just add up all the pros and cons and see which uni best suits you for your firm!
Original post by K1996s
I had a similar situation, mine was a mix up between Liverpool ABB or Hallam unconditional as my firm. As said above for a ''low ranking'' university Hallam seemed amazing and the fact its in a city where i feel more comfortable and the added bonus of lowering the stress factor during exams (i suffer a lot with this) i had to choose it. Just add up all the pros and cons and see which uni best suits you for your firm!

I suffer heavily from stress and anxiety myself so its a very good ease on the nerves. I was very impressed when visiting hallam and my course has recently attained accreditation from the society of biology which only Russell groups tend to have. The one thing stopping me from snapping up the offer is the fear of facing "ex poly" snobbery in the future?
Reply 7
Original post by Biochemist7
I suffer heavily from stress and anxiety myself so its a very good ease on the nerves. I was very impressed when visiting hallam and my course has recently attained accreditation from the society of biology which only Russell groups tend to have. The one thing stopping me from snapping up the offer is the fear of facing "ex poly" snobbery in the future?

Im facing it now and i havent even started the course yet! People are shrouded in ignorance when it comes to this and tend to think only russell groups are worth going to for courses such as Law. Many of my friends are going to Russell Groups for courses such as Politics,Medicine and Pharmacy and they all have a good laugh at me going to Hallam and even attempt to belittle the fact its an unconditional (even though i know its due to student numbers in part, im still over the moon with it). Honestly its your life and it will be your experience, if you feel Hallam is right for you then dont let the idea of 'ex poly' get in the way of that. As for employment i cannot speak for your field but i assume it will not damage your career ambitions too much.
My brother graduated from hallam last year with a 1st and he loved it. He said that the atmosphere and help from the tutors was really good. He now works in london with a training contract with a huge firm. Before, you stereotype university's you should research it no offence :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Indecisivegal
-

Perhaps you should 'research' how to use apostrophes correctly.
Original post by JakeCryo
Basically today i am going to finally decide which unis to put as my firm and insurance, the course im taking is Law. Im a little stuck as to which i want to put as my firm. Sheffield hallam have offered me an unconditional as long as i put it as my firm choice and i am tempted to accept. I have attended open days and i have been researching for the past few weeks and it sounds like a good place to study but i was just wondering if any Law students at the uni could tell me what its actually like to study there? Or if anyone who studies another course could tell me what the general day to day vibe is like? Thanks :smile:

Well, if you have visited the place, and if you liked the atmosphere, then it sounds like a suitable place for you. The advantage of what Sheffield Hallam Uni has given you is that you would be guaranteed a place no matter what, even if you flunked the A levels (NOT advisable, firms still look at A level grades). Basically, if the rest of your offers require an BBB and you (for some reason) score BBC for A levels, then you would have made a good choice by firming Sheffield Hallam Uni. Since you won't know your results until August, and if you feel like you will mess up your A2 exams, then its a good choice. If you are confident about scoring well, then don't firm the offer.

Original post by K1996s
Im facing it now and i havent even started the course yet! People are shrouded in ignorance when it comes to this and tend to think only russell groups are worth going to for courses such as Law. Many of my friends are going to Russell Groups for courses such as Politics,Medicine and Pharmacy and they all have a good laugh at me going to Hallam and even attempt to belittle the fact its an unconditional (even though i know its due to student numbers in part, im still over the moon with it). Honestly its your life and it will be your experience, if you feel Hallam is right for you then dont let the idea of 'ex poly' get in the way of that. As for employment i cannot speak for your field but i assume it will not damage your career ambitions too much.

Honestly, I hate those kinds of people. If I were you, I would stay far away from them. They only belittle others as they have major insecurities, and do so to make themselves feel better. Those that engage in that form of behaviour probably have very few achievements in their lives, and the degree that they have is the only thing they can cling on to for comfort when they realise that everyone else around them has far surpassed these people.
Original post by returnmigrant
Perhaps you should 'research' how to use apostrophes correctly.

Sorry punctuation police. Wow I didn't think we were discussing my use of apostrophes. My phone auto corrected it. Such ignorance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JakeCryo

I excepted my law unconditional for Hallam and don't regret it at all. Just a bit nervous considering I'm coming from middlesbrough and know nothing of the area haha
I'm sure you will do acceptionally well.

Good luck
Original post by K1996s

Don't let elitist scum hold you back mate :rolleyes: If its where you wanna go then do what you wanna do instead of letting them influence your decision.
Reply 16
Original post by cuckoo99
Don't let elitist scum hold you back mate :rolleyes: If its where you wanna go then do what you wanna do instead of letting them influence your decision.

Aha yeah by now i just laught at them. I find it pretty pathetic how some base a decision such as which uni they go to based on a number on the guardian league table.......
Davey Mac 90 is right. I am going into my 3rd year doing law at Hallam and I have had a wonderful experience and even a few of my friends that went to the higher league Uni's have told me they would prefer to come here! I have never found a problem with this Uni and the teaching and resources are great. I would highly recommend attending this Uni and if you are interested in law then this is the place to be! After being here for two years, nobody could have paid me to go to a different 'posh, snobby' University and my education has been just as good as everybody else's :smile:
Reply 18
If you want to do city law I would advise not to go to Hallam of you have the option to. Ok yes maybe the guy above said he knows a guy who got a TC but they are the exception. If you look at the stats they recruit (mainly) from a set of universities and you should really try and get into them. An unconditional is not a blessing more of a curse I would say. And uk newspapers ranking tables mean nothing. If you want a true picture of the reputation of the university, which is still hugely important, look at the world rankings. Furthermore, don't be missold a dream by these universities most city firms now have a pre requisite of AAB or AAA before you can apply, if you don't have that you will be automatically chucked out. So my advice don't accept and do the best you can in your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending