The Student Room Group

Going up to medical schools on/after results day asking for free places

Hi everybody, I got rejected from 3 med schools, one of which I was hoping very much to attend - it was my first choice.
I'm thinking I'll go up to them on/after results day and asked them if there are any free places and if so could they take me please. Would that be advisable do you think? Should I have a go at it? Has anybody successfully done something like this before?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ._.
Hi everybody, I got rejected from 3 med schools, one of which I was hoping very much to attend - it was my first choice.
I'm thinking I'll go up to them on/after results day and asked them if there are any free places and if so could they take me please. Would that be advisable do you think? Should I have a go at it? Has anybody successfully done something like this before?

Considering med school is competitive and lots of top applicants are applying to med school, I doubt they will have free places. I could be wrong, because I haven't applied to medicine at university.
Reply 2
Original post by ._.

You can try, but you almost certainly won't have any success I'm afraid. I'd phone rather than physically going there, at least you won't have spent your money on wasted train tickets.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ._.

as previously said, you can try but it's very unlikely - sometimes med schools do have places remaining however these generally go to people they've already interviewed and who only just missed out on an offer - These people are generally told of this possibility at the time of rejection though.
Reply 4
I think you're best option is to go through clearing. Work your socks off and get top grades and try and get place through clearing. If it doesn't work out, do something similar such as biomedicine (top students) after first year can apply for medicine 2nd yr onwards subject to which Uni. Also don't give up- there's so many other options available - graduate entry to medicine!! Turning upto a Uni after results day is probably not the best approach. It's very unlikely someone will come and speak to you. Perhaps you can speak to someone beforehand ?? Get some contacts within the Uni - ie medicine admissions senior ? Speak to them about the best approach and don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Phoning around has certainly been known to work, and you have nothing to lose.

Clearing isn't an option and biomed/GEM would be ridiculous routes to go for if you have the option to go for normal entry next year.
Reply 6
Original post by Sumena
I think you're best option is to go through clearing. Work your socks off and get top grades and try and get place through clearing. If it doesn't work out, do something similar such as biomedicine (top students) after first year can apply for medicine 2nd yr onwards subject to which Uni. Also don't give up- there's so many other options available - graduate entry to medicine!! Turning upto a Uni after results day is probably not the best approach. It's very unlikely someone will come and speak to you. Perhaps you can speak to someone beforehand ?? Get some contacts within the Uni - ie medicine admissions senior ? Speak to them about the best approach and don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine doesn't come up in clearing. To OP - Take a gap year and improve your application. Good luck
Or apply for MBBS at the university of buckingham for jan 2015....
Reply 8
Not UCAS clearing for general applicants, but those who applied initially and did not get any offers but then got the grades on results day. It certainly is a possibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ._.

I'm curious as to the 3 rejections - do you hold an offer from a 4th medical school? If so then you cannot get a place at your rejected first choice, as on results day when your place becomes unconditional you're no longer eligible to be considered by any other university.

If it's just that you only applied to 3 schools, then by all means give them a call on results day, but don't hang your hopes on that being successful. If you were rejected after interview then you stand a better shot than if you weren't interviewed.
What about the 4th one...

Call up , you have nothing to lose but don't get your hopes high....

It you do get in, it'll be a big fuss with student finance, accomodation etc
Reply 11
If you had a tutor at school help prepare your UCAS application, they often have a lot more influence in phoning up, but as most the people said it's unfortunately quite unlikely.
Original post by KA125
If you had a tutor at school help prepare your UCAS application, they often have a lot more influence in phoning up, but as most the people said it's unfortunately quite unlikely.

This is a myth.

Anyone trying to get into medical school should be perfectly capable of holding an intelligent telephone conversation with an admissions tutor by themselves, and that is far more influential than getting someone else to do it for them.
Original post by 345rty
Phoning around has certainly been known to work, and you have nothing to lose.

Clearing isn't an option and biomed/GEM would be ridiculous routes to go for if you have the option to go for normal entry next year.

Really?? I wish I had tried that instead of wasting my time with a gap year.
Reply 14
Original post by Becca-Sarah
This is a myth.

Anyone trying to get into medical school should be perfectly capable of holding an intelligent telephone conversation with an admissions tutor by themselves, and that is far more influential than getting someone else to do it for them.

At no point did I say the person wasn't capable of holding an intelligent telephone conversation.

We will agree to disagree as I've heard far more success stories from the person making the reference battling their corner than the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by DorianGrayism
Really?? I wish I had tried that instead of wasting my time with a gap year.

It's worked for a handful of students that I've heard of in my far-too-long time on TSR. It's really not a reliable alternative to a gap year.

I would agree with Becca-Sarah that the student themselves should be doing the phoning.
Reply 16
does medicine get clearance? I thought that with it being so competitive that it doesnt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by SloaneRanger
Or apply for MBBS at the university of buckingham for jan 2015....

That was my back up just in case I didn't get any offers.
Original post by HaveFaith1
That was my back up just in case I didn't get any offers.

Yeah, i think its definitely worth it, at least you give yourself the best chance of getting into doing something you want to do rather than wasting time with biomedical sciences.
Original post by KA125
At no point did I say the person wasn't capable of holding an intelligent telephone conversation.

We will agree to disagree as I've heard far more success stories from the person making the reference battling their corner than the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way. I've been on here a while myself and never heard of anyone getting in with that, though as has been said, i've seen a few who got in calling up themselves on results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending