The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I asked this just now, apparently you have to get the top 5 UMS marks, so if the UMS is out of 360, you have to get 356+ for one. I'm really hoping I get one for French :biggrin:

Edit: I know loads of people who got them in French last year, and some people got it in History and Italian as well. I was 8 UMS marks off a Top 5 for German last year :redface:
Reply 2
I had no idea the whole thing existed when I got mine. :biggrin:
A boy in my French class got one in French too, but he lived in France for like 9 years so it doesn't count. Well, it does but shh. :p:

Ooh Bexy you live near Blackpool? Where? :smile:
In case you were wondering, yes, I'm going to come and stalk you.
Ronove
I had no idea the whole thing existed when I got mine. :biggrin:

Oooh well done Ronove for getting one :smile: Only people I know so far who have got one or more are... very studious, let's just say :p: Of course I'm not implying that you aren't, but by the stalking comment, you seem normal-ish :smile:
Reply 4
Haha thanks, I hope you all get one, it's a great feeling (well, since you know about them already it might be a slightly different feeling to the one I experienced :p: ). Yeah... studious... hmm... I was top of my class in a lot of things, but I was also the ultimate 'coaster'. Revise for GCSEs? What?! :rolleyes:
I was really worried I'd cocked them all up though. I was secretly hoping I got bad results to teach myself a lesson so I'd be more inclined to revise at AS when it might be a bit more important... didn't really happen.
Ronove
Haha thanks, I hope you all get one, it's a great feeling (well, since you know about them already it might be a slightly different feeling to the one I experienced :p: ). Yeah... studious... hmm... I was top of my class in a lot of things, but I was also the ultimate 'coaster'. Revise for GCSEs? What?! :rolleyes:
I was really worried I'd cocked them all up though. I was secretly hoping I got bad results to teach myself a lesson so I'd be more inclined to revise at AS when it might be a bit more important... didn't really happen.

I didn't revise that much either :redface: nor did I listen to teachers. Most of them hated/hate me, because I would answer their question correctly without having to listen to what they were talking about. I used to be top, but haven't been for years... but that's what you get for going to a selective girls school. It's nice though, I'm now only known for being weird and being good at French :smile:

Oh, and am very glad you did so well :smile:
Reply 6
Bexy*at*your*service
I live in Lytham St Annes too! :smile: I saw you location and was like wow, the little town has at least one other young person in it! lol :smile:

Ooh we have to see how freaky it can get... do you live in Lytham, St.Annes or Ansdell? Or Fairhaven, or any other bit I've missed... can't think of any...
Which school do you go to? :smile:
The similarities are going to abruptly end here I can tell.
That's quite freaky, both of you living in the same place. I don't know anyone who lives in North Wiltshire who is on TSR lol.
Reply 8
splorgie
I didn't revise that much either :redface: nor did I listen to teachers. Most of them hated/hate me, because I would answer their question correctly without having to listen to what they were talking about. I used to be top, but haven't been for years... but that's what you get for going to a selective girls school. It's nice though, I'm now only known for being weird and being good at French :smile:

Oh, and am very glad you did so well :smile:

Thanks. I'm very glad I didn't cock them up now... I didn't know at the time that GCSEs were actually quite important to universities.
I see you're thinking of applying to Cambridge for Oriental Studies?
Reply 9
Haha I live in Ansdell, and SNAP! :biggrin:
My year had the worst GCSE results in ages. :rolleyes:
In the paper it said under Mr Wood's picture, "Here's Mr (Philip? dunno) Wood, celebrating [my name]'s results." No-one else's! I found that both bizarre and absolutely hilarious at the time... I think I'd spoken to him about once since he started at the place.
Ronove
Thanks. I'm very glad I didn't cock them up now... I didn't know at the time that GCSEs were actually quite important to universities.
I see you're thinking of applying to Cambridge for Oriental Studies?

Yep I am, my school makes us start thinking about University choices now... and I've wanted to do that for as long as I can remember. You know when you are little you have a dream of being something? Like a fireman, or a ballerina or popstar, etc? Well, I wanted to BE Japanese XD.
Reply 11
Bexy*at*your*service
Hehehe... that seems to happen a lot... when ever there is a great achievement..... but actually he hardly knows anybody. lol :biggrin: What did you get in you GCSE's? :smile:
Edit: 150th post... woot!

It's in my sig - 8 A*s, 1.5 As and a B.
Hmm maybe you've seen me about... there's a pic of me on TSR *somewhere* if you care to find it! :p:
I might be coming in to help with Miss Armer's new Spanish class in September so it's possible you'll spot me at school then as well... though with the size of our school it's not terribly likely... I have no idea whether it's after school or a GCSE class or.... anything else actually. Oh well, whatever, lol.
Reply 12
splorgie
Yep I am, my school makes us start thinking about University choices now... and I've wanted to do that for as long as I can remember. You know when you are little you have a dream of being something? Like a fireman, or a ballerina or popstar, etc? Well, I wanted to BE Japanese XD.

I applied for Oriental Studies (Japanese) last year so if you want to trawl through my past posts/ask me any questions then go for it. :smile:

(I also have a load of books that you could use for background reading if you fancy buying them off me, LOL)
Ronove
I applied for Oriental Studies (Japanese) last year so if you want to trawl through my past posts/ask me any questions then go for it. :smile:

(I also have a load of books that you could use for background reading if you fancy buying them off me, LOL)

What books do you have? I may see if I can nick/borrow them from local library... although chances are they don't have them :redface:

What was the interview like? (As you can see I am making the most of this opportunity to ask questions :p:) And I will trawl through your past posts :smile:
Bexy*at*your*service
I think this has been asked before but....

It says on the AQA website, on the PDF calender, that top scoring candidates from each subject will recieve a letter home etc. Is this the Top 5 candidates or is it top 1% or what? Does anyone know and has anyone recieved one?

P.S. - I am not expecting one, i was just wondering :smile:

You must have..high..high...you must have been HIGH!
Reply 15
splorgie
What books do you have? I may see if I can nick/borrow them from local library... although chances are they don't have them :redface:

What was the interview like? (As you can see I am making the most of this opportunity to ask questions :p:) And I will trawl through your past posts :smile:

I have erm... An intro to Japanese Society - Sugimoto; Japan Before Perry - Totman; Kokoro - Natsume Soseki... those were the ones I had read before interview and which I listed on my PS (really should have left myself time to re-read... couldn't remember anything out of them at all at interview, except a bit of Kokoro).
I also have The Tale of Genji (mahooosive!); The pillow book of Sei Shonagon; Some prefer nettles - Junichiro Tanizaki; The Oxford book of Japanese short stories. Oh and the pathetically yet satisfyingly girly Fruits Basket (just number 1).
I really cba going into anything else right now, I'll PM you later about the interviews if I remember! :smile:
Excellent. I have read Fruits Basket, but in French; my French exchange partner has the whole series so far lol. I'll keep an eye out for them :smile: I'm lucky, my memory is pretty much photographic if I read a book in a certain way and can remember the facts, if not the page numbers.

Thank youuuu :biggrin: xxx
Reply 17
I got a top 5 in Chemistry, but my UMS score was only 339/350, so who knows how it is decided?
Reply 18
Nichrome
I got a top 5 in Chemistry, but my UMS score was only 339/350, so who knows how it is decided?

Then it must be the top x percent of students.
Reply 19
splorgie
Excellent. I have read Fruits Basket, but in French; my French exchange partner has the whole series so far lol. I'll keep an eye out for them :smile: I'm lucky, my memory is pretty much photographic if I read a book in a certain way and can remember the facts, if not the page numbers.

Thank youuuu :biggrin: xxx

I would advise you to just read what interests you.
Once you've done that then by all means start looking at other stuff, the first year reading list was where I got most of my ideas.
Oh, and libraries are useless. Here anyway. I went to my local one and searched the county system, only 2 books came up out of about 20. One of them was taken out for 2 months and another was lost. :rolleyes: I got quite a few of those books when I went for interview because Borders in Cambridge has lots of good books. :biggrin: Didn't help my application by that point though obviously. The ones I read beforehand I got from Amazon Marketplace - I love Amazon Marketplace. And now the word marketplace just looks wrong.

I usually have a very good (and odd) memory - I remember the most bizarre things. I think it was either because the ones I read were full of confusing words, can't think of any at the moment, except 'tilling' or 'tillage' was one I had to look up... how am I supposed to know what that is? Or it was because I was stuck at home with a torn calf muscle, taking ridiculous amounts of painkillers that made me a bit 'wooooo'. :rolleyes:

Latest