The Student Room Group

Has anyone sent off their DBS form (formally CRB)?

Did you have to send a certificate of good conduct?! Its asked for one along with the photocopied ID but from what I can make out its for non original UK residents or people who have moved abroad temporarily...but I don't want to send it off wrong! If you need one how did you go about getting one?
Reply 1
Original post by ABJ01
Did you have to send a certificate of good conduct?! Its asked for one along with the photocopied ID but from what I can make out its for non original UK residents or people who have moved abroad temporarily...but I don't want to send it off wrong! If you need one how did you go about getting one?

I don't think you need one. I have an enhanced DBS certificate and I didn't send in any certificate of good conduct?
Reply 2
Original post by bellylaugh
I don't think you need one. I have an enhanced DBS certificate and I didn't send in any certificate of good conduct?

Thank you. Doing my research everything from the way I see it points to no, but it really isn't very clear at all! I've emailed the Uni but they won't pick it up until Wednesday when I'll be back at work which will make it more difficult to sort all the forms out, hence why I'm doing all the paperwork during the school holiday!
I had a CRB check cleared through my supporting school last year when I was volunteering. I'm doing a SCITT (schools direct).

Do I still need to do a DBS, or is the CRB the same thing? I have the form to hand, which looks near identical, but I haven't sent it anywhere yet as I didn't want to duplicate my clearance if it isn't needed.
Reply 4
Original post by LiquidCherry
I had a CRB check cleared through my supporting school last year when I was volunteering. I'm doing a SCITT (schools direct).

Do I still need to do a DBS, or is the CRB the same thing? I have the form to hand, which looks near identical, but I haven't sent it anywhere yet as I didn't want to duplicate my clearance if it isn't needed.

Yes the CRB is now called the DBS so they will look very similar. Even if you currently have a DBS certificate, it is likely that you'll need a new one for your School Direct placement. I've been told that I'll need a new one for my School Direct course too.
Reply 5
I'm gutted because I had one done in October and didn't realise you could sign up for the new system that allows you to have one check and use it for other jobs. I tried to sign up last week but had to do it within 10 days. Might be worth looking into as you will need new DBS checks next year for starting teaching jobs and this would save you having to do it all again.
This will be about the 5th one in 3 years for me so glad they brought the new system in.
Reply 6
Original post by freida20
I'm gutted because I had one done in October and didn't realise you could sign up for the new system that allows you to have one check and use it for other jobs. I tried to sign up last week but had to do it within 10 days. Might be worth looking into as you will need new DBS checks next year for starting teaching jobs and this would save you having to do it all again.
This will be about the 5th one in 3 years for me so glad they brought the new system in.

Even with the new system, it's likely your new school will want you to get one. I registered my DBS certificate online within 10 days, so it is now technically 'transferable' from one school to another...and yet, my School Direct school STILL want me to get another one just for them?!
Reply 7
Even with the new system, it's likely your new school will want you to get one. I registered my DBS certificate online within 10 days, so it is now technically 'transferable' from one school to another...and yet, my School Direct school STILL want me to get another one just for them?!

oh really ? thats a bit rubish!! My uni sent the forms and had mentioned the transferable ones and wanted the dates of my previous one.
even though mine is within 6 months I don't have the transferable one.
Did you have to pay for your transferable one?? I'd be a bit annoyed I think!
Is it the school are just not up to date or got to grips with new system?

I hope you don't have to pay again. good luck xx
Reply 8
oh really ? thats a bit rubish!! My uni sent the forms and had mentioned the transferable ones and wanted the dates of my previous one.
even though mine is within 6 months I don't have the transferable one.
Did you have to pay for your transferable one?? I'd be a bit annoyed I think!
Is it the school are just not up to date or got to grips with new system?

I hope you don't have to pay again. good luck xx

Yeah I did have to pay, so really hope I don't have to pay again!
Reply 9
:frown: how much is it to add the transferable bit?
:frown: how much is it to add the transferable bit?

I'm not sure if you have to pay extra for the transferable bit, you just have to make sure that you register it online within 10 days for it to be transferable. Overall I think I paid about £40.
Reply 11
ah ok - thanks - think registering for DBS costs about £40-£50 anyway so sounds like worth getting it - although pointless if schools not accepting it! Good luck to sort it out x
Reply 12
ah ok - thanks - think registering for DBS costs about £40-£50 anyway so sounds like worth getting it - although pointless if schools not accepting it! Good luck to sort it out x

It was the uni that sent me the paperwork and I have to send it back to them...then they send it off and tell the school I'm clear. All sounds very over complicated!
Reply 13

Sounds like the school just isn't up to date with how the new system works. That really shouldn't be happening.
Original post by Tombola
Sounds like the school just isn't up to date with how the new system works. That really shouldn't be happening.

Yeah I think you're right. I might give them a call again and see if I can get it transferred. Seems stupid to have to get a new one.
Yeah I think you're right. I might give them a call again and see if I can get it transferred. Seems stupid to have to get a new one.

They are following safeguarding advice. They won't change their procedures to accommodate you.
Seems like the new system hasn't actually changed how schools handle DBS/CRBs. I seem to need a DBS for my schools direct place with the council, and also one for my main supporting school (which I have and they seem happy with that). The school direct organiser though still wants one with their details on, I assume to clear me for the paired school placement. It's all a bit bewildering and sadly one of those costs I think we have to put up with.
Reply 17
I have official info regarding the 'certificate of good conduct'

This is ONLY for people who have ever lived or worked outside the UK. You obtain this certificate ( if you need it) from your local police station. It is a document the states whether you have ever been arrested or had a crimal conviction outside the UK.

If you have only ever lived or worked in the UK then all you need to send is a photo ID and 2 proofs of UK residential address...like bank statement, utility bill or birth certificate.

Hope this helps anyone who may face this dilemma! The covering letter I had was not very clear at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending