The Student Room Group

My gf doesnt want me at her freshers week.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChelseaFCCC
Right, my gf is about to go uni in Sept, and she doesnt want me to come to her freshers week because she wants to make friends etc and ill be just in the way.

Im trying to make a point and i will show this thread to her. I think its unfair, what do you think?

I think it's understandable from her point of view, to be honest.
Original post by Solemn Rain
But telling us which uni you're going and when was really unecessary!

I don't even know why I did it but there we go. You learnt something new about me today. And just so you know, it might not even be Cardiff. That's just in my little ideal world in my head.
Reply 42
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Some points are so obvious they don't need explaining.

IIRC, I suggested you not to be so rude and explained your point, to help him see his errors. Young couples are frequently misunderstanding relationships qualities and it's far more constructive to help them see what's right and wrong. Whilst it doesn't apply to you OP, as I'm sure you're not an abusive partner, but this is the root cause for the increase of young and abusive relationships - misunderstanding and incorrect expectations.

Pointing out how where someone has gone wrong is far more productive and valuable, as opposed just throwing one liners out there for the sake of likes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AdampskiB
IIRC, I suggested you not to be so rude and explained your point, to help him see his errors. Young couples are frequently misunderstanding relationships qualities and it's far more constructive to help them see what's right and wrong. Whilst it doesn't apply to your OP, as I'm sure you're not an abusive partner, but this is the root cause for the increase of young and abusive relationships.

Pointing out how where someone has gone wrong is far more productive and valuable, as opposed just throwing one liners out there for the sake of likes.

You're right, I'm not an abusive partner, but thank you for pointing out that one characteristic trait I have is a sign that I might become abusive in the future. It's always nice to know that.

I'm blunt. I've always been blunt because that seems to be the way that people get the message in my personal experience. I also prefer it if people were to be blunt to me. I'm a very literal person. I literally could not give a **** about the 'likes'.
IIRC, I suggested you not to be so rude and explained your point, to help him see his errors. Young couples are frequently misunderstanding relationships qualities and it's far more constructive to help them see what's right and wrong. Whilst it doesn't apply to you OP, as I'm sure you're not an abusive partner, but this is the root cause for the increase of young and abusive relationships - misunderstanding and incorrect expectations.

^^^This^^^
Reply 45
You're right, I'm not an abusive partner, but thank you for pointing out that one characteristic trait I have is a sign that I might become abusive in the future. It's always nice to know that.

I'm blunt. I've always been blunt because that seems to be the way that people get the message in my personal experience. I also prefer it if people were to be blunt to me. I'm a very literal person. I literally could not give a **** about the 'likes'.

The "your" was a typo, I was actually directing that part towards the OP. I corrected my typo :smile:.

I appreciate the "straight to the point" approach, but personally I think it's always more practical to approach sensitive topics, in a sensitive category of the forum, with a sensitive and considerate attitude. As relationships help you learn about yourself, not just other people.
Reply 46
Ur gf a thot
Original post by MarieJanes
OP - what are your reasons for wanting to go with her?

I don't want to sound rude, truly I don't, but your post makes you appear to be clingy and needy. Are there trust issues in your relationship? Have you been together long? You need to be able to enjoy the time you have apart in equal measure to the time you have together to have a healthy relationship and one that will be a "forever" relationship should that be what you're striving to have.

Speaking as a woman who has been married for 8 years I love when my husband is away for a couple of weeks just as much as I love having him home and we trust each other entirely because neither of us have given reason to the other not to. Respect her to attend freshers week freely and she'll appreciate you all the more for it.

I have to disagree. It's fine to enjoy time apart, it's good to have a life but there's no reason you should enjoy that as much as time together, and if you're as happy without your husband then with him then it doesn't sound like a desirable relationship to me!
EDIT: and I should add, most happily married couples, my parents included don't like being apart and actively try to avoid these situations and go to places together if possible!
(edited 10 years ago)
Right, my gf is about to go uni in Sept, and she doesnt want me to come to her freshers week because she wants to make friends etc and ill be just in the way.

Im trying to make a point and i will show this thread to her. I think its unfair, what do you think?

Do you trust her?
Or any reason not to?
Your girlfriend wants you to give her space and time to make friends at uni, nothing wrong with that perhaps you could visit her after freshers? I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You potentially have 3 years to visit, must you really go in Freshers?
Let her go alone, you will stop her having s much fun.
Original post by joker12345
...doesn't sound like a desirable relationship to me!

To YOU being the main word here. We don't actively try to find ways to be apart but when they happen, life is still very much enjoyable for US. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The "your" was a typo, I was actually directing that part towards the OP. I corrected my typo :smile:.

I appreciate the "straight to the point" approach, but personally I think it's always more practical to approach sensitive topics, in a sensitive category of the forum, with a sensitive and considerate attitude. As relationships help you learn about yourself, not just other people.

Well sorry I replied like that then.

My approach is my approach. It's what I prefer so I use it with other people too. If someone wants my point elaborated then I would do so, but I'm not going to change my initial comment. If I were to be really blunt I'd say OP is a stupid, possessive idiot who will not give his girlfriend space at a time when she really needs it. He posted another thread saying he was going to see her at least twice a week while she's at university and personally I think that shows that he's insecure. Of course it's also because he'll be going from seeing her loads to not at all and he's scared the relationship might change/fizzle out as a result and I get that, but from my personal experience I actually rather like (but also hate at the same time) not seeing my boyfriend much during uni, and I think he does too. He does a demanding course, I quit one demanding course to start another one and we're both going to need time to study when we're both at university once again. His girlfriend will need time to study too.

University is one big balancing act. The OP said he has been through it all before. Would he have REALLY wanted his girlfriend at his fresher's week? I assume not.
I don't even know why I did it but there we go. You learnt something new about me today. And just so you know, it might not even be Cardiff. That's just in my little ideal world in my head.

Don't worry I don't know what they're making a fuss about, there was nothing wrong with what you said. :rolleyes:
Reply 55
Might want to give showing her this thread a second thought lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why didn't you both just go to the same uni? then it would be both your fresher's at the same time :smile:

It would probably make it awkward her making friends if you're not part of the same uni as people would wonder what you're doing there a bit like having here parent around all week.

Obviously, many girls get banged during fresher's week so if she's pretty or wants to be real 'loose' then high chance she'll be at it. Many girls use uni to move onto another bloke, not much you can do about it, just wait for the kicking to the curb part from her really. If she's not wanting you around, it could suggest she is seeing if there are any better fish out there for her, girls do that.

In any case would wear protection if you're still with her and do it with her later in the year as she could have caught something during fresher's, good luck.
Reply 57
Well sorry I replied like that then.

My approach is my approach. It's what I prefer so I use it with other people too. If someone wants my point elaborated then I would do so, but I'm not going to change my initial comment. If I were to be really blunt I'd say OP is a stupid, possessive idiot who will not give his girlfriend space at a time when she really needs it. He posted another thread saying he was going to see her at least twice a week while she's at university and personally I think that shows that he's insecure. Of course it's also because he'll be going from seeing her loads to not at all and he's scared the relationship might change/fizzle out as a result and I get that, but from my personal experience I actually rather like (but also hate at the same time) not seeing my boyfriend much during uni, and I think he does too. He does a demanding course, I quit one demanding course to start another one and we're both going to need time to study when we're both at university once again. His girlfriend will need time to study too.

University is one big balancing act. The OP said he has been through it all before. Would he have REALLY wanted his girlfriend at his fresher's week? I assume not.

I didn't disagree with any of your points at all, so everything in that oversized paragraph I agree with. Explaining yourself like that is more beneficial for the OP than the sniper comments.
I think you shouldn't get in the way at all when she's trying to make new friends! I hate those people that come with a boyfriend or girlfriend that doesn't go to our uni! The conversation is so awkward after a few mins because they're too busy being inappropriate! It's a good thing I excel in flitting from one group to another and have just as much fun! :angry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MarieJanes
To YOU being the main word here. We don't actively try to find ways to be apart but when they happen, life is still very much enjoyable for US. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I was clear to specify that because each to their own. But if you're as happy with him as without him then why bother - he's obviously not adding any happiness to your life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending