The Student Room Group

My gf doesnt want me at her freshers week.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker12345
Yes, I was clear to specify that because each to their own. But if you're as happy with him as without him then why bother - he's obviously not adding any happiness to your life?

She said she was happy when he's away for 2 weeks... I don't think that's comparable to not having him in her life at all?!

Sorry but it's a bit embarrassing watching a kid trying to disagree with a married woman about relationships. Do you not think she may have a little more experience than us?

OP - as others have said, your girlfriend needs this time to make new friends independently. Other people at uni will have the "relationships are pointless!" attitude and may lead your girlfriend to resent your presence there too. People don't respond well to the girl who's "got her boyfriend hanging around", as it were. When my ex boyfriend headed to uni, I made the conscious decision not to visit for the first month because I wanted to make sure he settled in and made friends first.
Original post by thejeangenie
She said she was happy when he's away for 2 weeks... I don't think that's comparable to not having him in her life at all?!

Sorry but it's a bit embarrassing watching a kid trying to disagree with a married woman about relationships. Do you not think she may have a little more experience than us?

OP - as others have said, your girlfriend needs this time to make new friends independently. Other people at uni will have the "relationships are pointless!" attitude and may lead your girlfriend to resent your presence there too. People don't respond well to the girl who's "got her boyfriend hanging around", as it were. When my ex boyfriend headed to uni, I made the conscious decision not to visit for the first month because I wanted to make sure he settled in and made friends first.

I'm not a kid and I'm in a long term relationship - the only one that I've had and intend to keep, thank you - whilst you refer to an ex boyfriend, so I think my ability at holding down a relationship is fine. I think it's a bit embarrassing you think people can't comment till they're married and that you didn't read my post properly. And anyway, I added a reference to the married couples I know, indicating that they are NOT as happy without their partners as with and hence try to be together.
She said she is JUST AS HAPPY when he's away as he is with him. If he is not making her happier than he clearly isn't adding anything to her life. If she said she is still happy when he's away, though of course happier with him, I wouldn't have bothered to comment.

To OP, don't go to her freshers but maybe visit her the weekend after.
I'm not a kid and I'm in a long term relationship - the only one that I've had and intend to keep, thank you - whilst you refer to an ex boyfriend, so I think my ability at holding down a relationship is fine. I think it's a bit embarrassing you think people can't comment till they're married and that you didn't read my post properly. And anyway, I added a reference to the married couples I know, indicating that they are NOT as happy without their partners as with and hence try to be together.
She said she is JUST AS HAPPY when he's away as he is with him. If he is not making her happier than he clearly isn't adding anything to her life. If she said she is still happy when he's away, though of course happier with him, I wouldn't have bothered to comment.

To OP, don't go to her freshers but maybe visit her the weekend after.

I apologise for assuming about your age - I thought how literally you've taken her post, and the way you've responded to me and jumped on the fact that I have an ex boyfriend (shock horror - I obviously can't hold down a relationship as well as you can!!) is an indication of some immaturity.
I apologise for assuming about your age - I thought how literally you've taken her post, and the way you've responded to me and jumped on the fact that I have an ex boyfriend (shock horror - I obviously can't hold down a relationship as well as you can!!) is an indication of some immaturity.

I did not say you cannot hold down a relationship at all. I simply indicated that I can and that you seemed to assume I can't. The fact that you are debating immaturity rather than the comment I made indicates, to me, some immaturity.
Her post seemed pretty literal to me, and her she was pretty clear that a 'forever relationship' should be like hers, where you're just as happy without your partner as with, which I found ridiculous.
Going to uni is a big change and your girlfriend needs space to make her own friends in a new place. She's going to be there for at least 3 years, the least you can do is allow her the space to become comfortable in an environment she's going to need to be comfortable in without you hanging around.

It isn't unfair at all, you both need your own lives outside of the relationship.
I did not say you cannot hold down a relationship at all. I simply indicated that I can and that you seemed to assume I can't. The fact that you are debating immaturity rather than the comment I made indicates, to me, some immaturity.
Her post seemed pretty literal to me, and her she was pretty clear that a 'forever relationship' should be like hers, where you're just as happy without your partner as with, which I found ridiculous.

I'm not debating immaturity pointlessly, I am explaining why I assumed you were a "kid".

I can't be bothered to argue, we will have to agree to disagree. I just think it's a bit odd to pass such a strong judgement on a stranger's relationship. They've been married for 8 years. It clearly works for them :smile:
I'm not debating immaturity pointlessly, I am explaining why I assumed you were a "kid".

I can't be bothered to argue, we will have to agree to disagree. I just think it's a bit odd to pass such a strong judgement on a stranger's relationship. They've been married for 8 years. It clearly works for them :smile:

Yes, like I said, I was clear to specify 'to me' and then say 'each to their own'. I found it a but odd that you felt the need to jump down my throat but we're derailing the thread so let's leave it
I don't understand why this thread has turned into people jumping all over each other because of some slight comment they made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending