The Student Room Group

Is my dad buying this granola aiming to lower testosterone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WitnessMO
Haha this is funny! Just stay away from sugar. Sugar is bad enough for anyone trying to get in shape without lowering testosterone.

I'm not 'allowed' to stay away from sugar too much because at best it will concern Dad, at worst the family starts talking about me as the ill unhappy child and pushing me for a referral to the eating disorder service

Yes he is active, yes he cooks good dinner for me but..
this is what he says to me when I talk about bulking
'Don't you think that's a bit much'
'Why don't we save that for tomorrow's tea instead'
'It's not like I'm starving you'
'You're not that skinny anymore, you don't need to eat so much'
'Why don't you go to the gym yes but then eat normally'
'Bodybuilding won't make you a stronger or better person'
'Yes but we went to the doctor's 3 years ago and they said you were very healthy and fit already'
Reply 41
Original post by Eveiebaby
Jesus Riku - buy your own food. I'm getting a little irritated that I've said the same thing and that you don't listen to my advice. You wok, you can afford your own cereal or what you want to eat for breakfast.

If you don't want to ask your dad to buy something else you can always make your own food which would solve your problems no?

It's not about buying my own food, it's about being judged for what I'm doing (specifically at the moment if I were to lift and bulk)
We have other cereals so it's not a major problem but the point is that I think because it is there I am also supposed to eat it-or even that it's a 'test' (I'm still living with the idea I'm on an ED/health anxiety recovery meal plan that my parents set up, sneaking in 'unsafe foods' as part of exposure therapy)

Basically I think that the sign I have chosen to go on a bulk and work out is a sign that counselling has completely failed therefore I am not 'allowed' to do it for fear of shaming/disappointing/upsetting my parents and losing their support

That is why this is such a huuuuge obsessive deal to me! I can't win!
Original post by Riku
I'm not 'allowed' to stay away from sugar too much because at best it will concern Dad, at worst the family starts talking about me as the ill unhappy child and pushing me for a referral to the eating disorder service

Yes he is active, yes he cooks good dinner for me but..
this is what he says to me when I talk about bulking
'Don't you think that's a bit much'
'Why don't we save that for tomorrow's tea instead'
'It's not like I'm starving you'
'You're not that skinny anymore, you don't need to eat so much'
'Why don't you go to the gym yes but then eat normally'
'Bodybuilding won't make you a stronger or better person'
'Yes but we went to the doctor's 3 years ago and they said you were very healthy and fit already'

Why don't you try explaining to your Dad, that body building will obviously make you stronger because your muscles improve in strength but also happier because you feel more attractive. If he still insists on feeding you bad food in meagre quantities why don't you buy some of your own food and do some extra cooking.
Reply 43
Original post by WitnessMO
Why don't you try explaining to your Dad, that body building will obviously make you stronger because your muscles improve in strength but also happier because you feel more attractive. If he still insists on feeding you bad food in meagre quantities why don't you buy some of your own food and do some extra cooking.

He returns to the argument about being comfortable in one's own skin, learning to love your body, basically highlighting I have big.body image issues that need to be resolved with internal self esteem NOT working out. And any counsellor will say the same thing. However I go about this I'll fly red flags
If I have to I'll be doing the latter, in the meantime need a fulltime job to afford it and learn to cook :-)
Original post by Riku
It's not about buying my own food, it's about being judged for what I'm doing (specifically at the moment if I were to lift and bulk)
We have other cereals so it's not a major problem but the point is that I think because it is there I am also supposed to eat it-or even that it's a 'test' (I'm still living with the idea I'm on an ED/health anxiety recovery meal plan that my parents set up, sneaking in 'unsafe foods' as part of exposure therapy)

Basically I think that the sign I have chosen to go on a bulk and work out is a sign that counselling has completely failed therefore I am not 'allowed' to do it for fear of shaming/disappointing/upsetting my parents and losing their support

That is why this is such a huuuuge obsessive deal to me! I can't win!

What about the other people who decide to bulk - are they also deranged obsessive compulsive eaters? I noticed I'm getting a bit pudgy lately. Nothin serious, but I would like to nip it in the bud and I'm eating lots of fresh fish, veg and tofu. Am I being obsessive compulsive and overly striving for perfection? No - I just want to look what my idea of good is. And I like that food anyway. You can always use the excuse that you dont like the flavour of the foods and that you like others more.

Losing their support? Are your parents really the kind to test their own children? Maybe you need to actually speak to your parent about your anxiety. Hearing their thoughts might put you at ease.
Reply 45
Original post by Riku
It really is about the being judged

The hard part will be if I end up moving in with him and his gf, an animal loving vegetarian.I can guess how well my bulk will go down there-I respect her views but I imagine I'll be genuinely forbidden from doing this if I move in by Dad so as to respect her feelings

You can respect her feelings by not preaching about eating meat, not by adopting her lifestyle as your own.
Reply 46
Original post by ilem
You can respect her feelings by not preaching about eating meat, not by adopting her lifestyle as your own.

But saying 'I respect your view' then.proceeding to eat 2 whole chickens when she used to be a farmer raising chickens is basically spitting in her eye...
I am worried whether it'll be possible to do a bulk without unintentionally being an absolute ******* to her and thereby.pissing my Dad off no end
Original post by Riku
He returns to the argument about being comfortable in one's own skin, learning to love your body, basically highlighting I have big.body image issues that need to be resolved with internal self esteem NOT working out. And any counsellor will say the same thing. However I go about this I'll fly red flags
If I have to I'll be doing the latter, in the meantime need a fulltime job to afford it and learn to cook :-)

Riku, I think I have seen a pic of your body ages ago in a thread where you asked whether yu were skinny fat. From that memory, i don't think your daddy can accuse you of only working out because you have confidence issues. I mean that's part of your issues so you probably out to agree to a counsellor but he should also recognise that lifting will bring you massive improvements in your confidence. In the meantime keep looking for your full time job. It's not hard to learn to cook.:smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Riku
But saying 'I respect your view' then.proceeding to eat 2 whole chickens when she used to be a farmer raising chickens is basically spitting in her eye...
I am worried whether it'll be possible to do a bulk without unintentionally being an absolute ******* to her and thereby.pissing my Dad off no end

Well as I said you respect her view by not dismissing her lifestyle as incorrect. Not by becoming vegetarian out of fear to offend.

Going by that logic, preventing you from eating meat would make your dad and his gf absolute *******s.
That you Alex Jones?
Mate, me dad kept buying me coke to lower my testosterone. Been sugar free for 2 years and now I'm ALPHA in da house. Innit bruz, you know what I iz sezzing aight?
Half of me is worried about you but the other half just cannot stop laughing at this.
Amusing and an obvious OP.

Your dad bought you sugary cereal because it tastes good. If you want to be anal about your diet then go buy some oats and put up with the lecturing.

Your being paranoid.
Reply 53
Original post by Rakas21
Amusing and an obvious OP.

Your dad bought you sugary cereal because it tastes good. If you want to be anal about your diet then go buy some oats and put up with the lecturing.

Your being paranoid.

He likes porridge too so we have porridge too
Yes and he is also lacing your food with heavy metals, just for giggles.:rolleyes:
Original post by Riku
This ****'s got 50% sugar-30g of which 15g is sugar! Maybe he oesn't know about the link bwtween high sugar diets and low T but I do I've done my researh with Mercola etc.
What does he think he's doing, is he trying to lower my T and render me emasculated every time I go lift to raise T and become more dominant and alpha again?
Or is this just a sign I'm truly paranoid?
Knew this thread would be created by you Riku before I even opened it. :rolleyes:

I doubt he's buying it to purposefully lower your testosterone. If you don't want it, don't eat it. Pretty simple.
(edited 9 years ago)
Riku is the best troll on this forum. Undetected for a long time.

Quick Reply

Latest