The Student Room Group

is it possible to get into uni with 1 missed grade?

i basically didn't have a great english lang/lit exam yesterday and i need a B in it for uni really (got a high C for AS and need a high B to get B overall) and i was thinking if it was possible to get into uni with 1 lower grade if it was in a subject not essential to my course (AAB for geography at exeter). someone who works at the university said to me that if i am passionate about the course/subject then i could talk to the head of department if i miss the offer by a little. is this true? i know its probably a long shot but i will hate it if missing a few marks on one paper will mean i don't get into my dream uni and my favourite course.
any opinions/ideas appricated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no way to tell. If this year, every single person made an offer for your course achieves that offer, you're out of luck. If 30% of them don't, you stand a good chance of them letting you in anyway. A good indication is to check whether your course at that particular uni has been in clearing in the last few years, because if it has, you will probably have some leeway. There's no point phoning them up though, they won't know either until results day.
Original post by tgwktm
i basically didn't have a great english lang/lit exam yesterday and i need a B in it for uni really (got a high C for AS and need a high B to get B overall) and i was thinking if it was possible to get into uni with 1 lower grade if it was in a subject not essential to my course (AAB for geography at exeter). someone who works at the university said to me that if i am passionate about the course/subject then i could talk to the head of department if i miss the offer by a little. is this true? i know its probably a long shot but i will hate it if missing a few marks on one paper will mean i don't get into my dream uni and my favourite course.

As with every other thread that is exactly the same as this - it depends on how many people miss their offer.
If you do miss it and you aren't accepted, it would be worth calling them if you were only a few marks off the grade. However, no one can give an answer until results day.
Original post by tgwktm

I find it slightly ironic you're a study helper but can't hit your own grades...
As others say it's down to chance, and if others hit their offers.
Reply 5
One grade? Yes more than possible

Will Exeter? Who knows. But if you A* in one of your other 2 subject, you'll get in
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheBigJosh
I find it slightly ironic you're a study helper but can't hit your own grades...
As others say it's down to chance, and if others hit their offers.

Study helpers don't have to be top grade students (but the OP is pretty good :yes:) - they just have to help.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Study helpers don't have to be top grade students (but the OP is pretty good :yes:) - they just have to help.

They don't have to be top grade students, they can be aiming for low grades, it doesn't matter - if they can't hit their own grades confidently they aren't really qualified to be helping others with study.
Original post by TheBigJosh
They don't have to be top grade students, they can be aiming for low grades, it doesn't matter - if they can't hit their own grades confidently they aren't really qualified to be helping others with study.

This isn't helping the OP to answer their question, and this is not the place to discuss how 'qualified' someone is to help others out.
Original post by tgwktm

There are many factors to be honest.
It works like grade boundaries, if a lot of people don't get their grades, they will probably consider you.

Also, if you overachieve in one [A* one subject in this case] and you underachieve in one [C in English; A*AC], I'm sure it'll cancel out and they'll accept you [depends on how strict the uni is though]
Original post by edothero
There are many factors to be honest.
It works like grade boundaries, if a lot of people don't get their grades, they will probably consider you.

Also, if you overachieve in one [A* one subject in this case] and you underachieve in one [C in English; A*AC], I'm sure it'll cancel out and they'll accept you [depends on how strict the uni is though]

'Cancelling out' is not a policy universities are keen on for a number of reasons, one being that a person with ABB has a baseline standard of at least a grade B in all subjects, whilst A*AC does not, and that may be a key factor in whether the university accepts them. Additionally, there are issues around the limits on applicants who have below ABB which will determine how attractive they applicant is.
Original post by Damask-
There is no way to tell. If this year, every single person made an offer for your course achieves that offer, you're out of luck. If 30% of them don't, you stand a good chance of them letting you in anyway. A good indication is to check whether your course at that particular uni has been in clearing in the last few years, because if it has, you will probably have some leeway. There's no point phoning them up though, they won't know either until results day.

Pizza John,
repped,
enjoy what only needs to be called "The movie"
Dftba,

Also to avoid this being spam,
Pizza John has good advice OP, I second it.
there we go.
Reply 12
Original post by Damask-

how do you find out if a course was in clearing or not?
Original post by tgwktm
how do you find out if a course was in clearing or not?

Look at previous years' Daily Telegraph supplements.

FWIW, Geography at Exeter was in clearing last year - but only for the Cornwall (Falmouth) campus.
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
Look at previous years' Daily Telegraph supplements.

FWIW, Geography at Exeter was in clearing last year - but only for the Cornwall (Falmouth) campus.

suppose thats good cause thats where i'm going
Original post by tgwktm
suppose thats good cause thats where i'm going

It could be different this year, but it certainly can't be interpreted as a negative sign.
I cannot speak for your particular course, but I received an email from Exeter several months after receiving my (insurance) maths offer from them of AAA specifically stated that as long as I got an A in maths, the others could cancel, i.e. A*AB would be acceptable. I do not know whether this will apply to your course or not, but it is something that the university will consider, at least for some subjects.
Reply 17
Original post by President Snow
I cannot speak for your particular course, but I received an email from Exeter several months after receiving my (insurance) maths offer from them of AAA specifically stated that as long as I got an A in maths, the others could cancel, i.e. A*AB would be acceptable. I do not know whether this will apply to your course or not, but it is something that the university will consider, at least for some subjects.

i got that email to although for a different course. i got it for the geography course in exeter itself not the course on the cornwall campus though
Original post by tgwktm
i got that email to although for a different course. i got it for the geography course in exeter itself not the course on the cornwall campus though

Might be worth clarifying with them, just in case it applies to Cornwall as well.
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
Might be worth clarifying with them, just in case it applies to Cornwall as well.

i tried that when i got the email from exeter but i got no reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending