The Student Room Group

Extended degree in science- University of Hertfordshire / North Hertfordshire college

Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year, just to let u know. So basically I'm going to be applying to this course through extra, as that's literally the only option I have left with my grades and really want to get Ito the biomedical course at university of hertfordshire or maybe transfer once I finish the foundation year to maybe a different university nearer to my house.

My current grades are BCD at A level in the order Dutch, Psychology and Biology. And BD at as level in ICT and chemistry. I'm most likely resitting a few of my exams in my foundation year to get my grades up, I know it will be hard work but I'm 100% determined. I was going to resit the exams this year but circumstances had changed and ended up missing two of my exams due to not reaching the exam centre in time, even though i left like 3 hours early, but due to traffic I didn't make it. I then didn't sit any of the other exams because I wasn't able to achieve any higher than that I already have as I missed two very big exams. So in the end I was left with only sitting my chemistry exam f322. But now I'm left with the exact same grades and so my predicted grades have no value (Im going to call UCAS up for this).

Okay what my situation is going to be now is that I am going to have to travel to stevenage everyday from London (I live in lewisham) and I have checked the way. I just take 1 train from lewisham station to London bridge and then from there I take underground (tube) to kings cross st pancreas and then walk to kings cross station and then take the train from there to stevenage rail station and walk to the college. All in al it would take me about 2 hours to get there (but I don't mind the travel as log as lectures don't start at like 8 and end at 7, then it would be a problem.

This will cost me all about £330 a month and so about £3000 for 9 months (which is how long the course is. I thought this is okay as I could pay it with my maintenance grant. And I've for about £500 already in my bank and wantto start a full time job or part time this summer to earn some money too. Oh and this is including discounts of 16-24 railway cards and travel cards zone 1-2.

However I'm now thinkig that this will not be enough, as I have think like clothes to think about and food and other things that I may need at some point in life (not big things) and so not sure how to pay for those as I don't have enough money. Because all of the money is spend on travel (and no I can't live there, my parents don't want me to move out 😕).

I now just wanted to ask whether they give bursary or any extra support?

And I am thinking of getting a part time job, I know it will be really hard to juggle all of it, but t the moment I hve no option and have the make the time for all of it.

Please any ideas help??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending