The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Postgraduate Students at University of Leeds 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Im an international student so ill be moving in sept 13th. From where r u?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
I'm from the Netherlands. :wink: Cool, so it's possible to move in before their "move in weekend"? If all goes well, I want to be there 14th September --all depending on my choice of accommodation of course.
Original post by wyhu
No worries. Yeah, I'm really feeling the pressure at the moment, esp. since apparently entire Leeds is nearly booked. :confused:

Yes, me too.

I am a PG starting at Leeds this year and although I received the first type of e-mail (where they say they'll be in touch by the 29th.. perhaps..) I feel like my heart is sinking nevertheless. All the residences I checked today seem booked; the last room in a realllly nice residence right at the centre had been taken this morning.. :frown:(

I feel lost; I don't know private accom, since I'm new to Leeds and I want to be among students.

Any tips of areas in the city which are full of students? I don't want to end up in a room in a private house where I won't be surrounded by any people my age and live in isolation the entire year.
Reply 43
Original post by DianaSof
Yes, me too.

I am a PG starting at Leeds this year and although I received the first type of e-mail (where they say they'll be in touch by the 29th.. perhaps..) I feel like my heart is sinking nevertheless. All the residences I checked today seem booked; the last room in a realllly nice residence right at the centre had been taken this morning.. :frown:(

I feel lost; I don't know private accom, since I'm new to Leeds and I want to be among students.

Any tips of areas in the city which are full of students? I don't want to end up in a room in a private house where I won't be surrounded by any people my age and live in isolation the entire year.

Check for student private accomodation such as plaza,sky plaza,pennine house,google and im sure ur gonna find the suitable accomodation :smile:
Yes, me too.

Hyde Park is packed with students, and Burley and Headingley are very popular as well. There is an excess of rooms in student properties available throughout the year, unlike with university accommodation. Try looking on the unipol noticeboard (they also have a postgrads thread) and you will find loads of rooms available in student properties where someone has moved or dropped out or a group has signed for a house with one extra bedroom.

http://www.unipol.org.uk/notice-board?forumid=20

All three locations are full of student life. Hyde Park is a bit grottier but totally safe and great fun, and is more multicultural, Headingley is a bit posher, more white middle class and is fine and has loads of pubs and shops etc, but is not as great IMO and Burley is in between the two. You can easily find a place in one of these three places without even visiting if needs must. But there's so many places that it would only take you a couple of days to visit a bunch of places and find somewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much for the info!!!

Original post by Mister Dead

Hyde Park is packed with students, and Burley and Headingley are very popular as well. There is an excess of rooms in student properties available throughout the year, unlike with university accommodation. Try looking on the unipol noticeboard (they also have a postgrads thread) and you will find loads of rooms available in student properties where someone has moved or dropped out or a group has signed for a house with one extra bedroom.

http://www.unipol.org.uk/notice-board?forumid=20

All three locations are full of student life. Hyde Park is a bit grottier but totally safe and great fun, and is more multicultural, Headingley is a bit posher, more white middle class and is fine and has loads of pubs and shops etc, but is not as great IMO and Burley is in between the two. You can easily find a place in one of these three places without even visiting if needs must. But there's so many places that it would only take you a couple of days to visit a bunch of places and find somewhere.
Reply 46
Yes, me too.

I feel ya. I'm abroad now so I can't even check the rooms/houses before I sign anything... I'm mainly focusing on Headingley (a bit further but apparently real nice student atmosphere) and Burley (a tad closer to LUBS).

I did take a look at Spareroom this morning and there were quite some options, but lots were occupied by (young) professionals, which isn't what I'd want ideally. Maybe we could find a house share together or smh ;-) What will you be studying btw?
PhD Philosophy, and you??

Yes, teaming up might be an option considering there are some nice properties in which rooms would not be let out individually..

I think from those 3 locations I like Burley best, because it is closest to City Centre and Unis; Headingley seems a bit too far for me.

Incidentally I was wondering how much of a "life" is there going on in Headingley, Hyde Park, Burkley at all?

Maybe "life" is not the world, though. I would just love to have the feeling that I live in a somewhat larger, busy city, and from what I see on.. Google Maps street view, neither of those 3 areas is particularly vibrant. But maybe I am wrong.. I've been to Leeds only at my interview so I don't know much about the city at all!!

Original post by wyhu
I feel ya. I'm abroad now so I can't even check the rooms/houses before I sign anything... I'm mainly focusing on Headingley (a bit further but apparently real nice student atmosphere) and Burley (a tad closer to LUBS).

I did take a look at Spareroom this morning and there were quite some options, but lots were occupied by (young) professionals, which isn't what I'd want ideally. Maybe we could find a house share together or smh ;-) What will you be studying btw?
PhD Philosophy, and you??

Yes, teaming up might be an option considering there are some nice properties in which rooms would not be let out individually..

I think from those 3 locations I like Burley best, because it is closest to City Centre and Unis; Headingley seems a bit too far for me.

Incidentally I was wondering how much of a "life" is there going on in Headingley, Hyde Park, Burkley at all?

Maybe "life" is not the world, though. I would just love to have the feeling that I live in a somewhat larger, busy city, and from what I see on.. Google Maps street view, neither of those 3 areas is particularly vibrant. But maybe I am wrong.. I've been to Leeds only at my interview so I don't know much about the city at all!!

Maybe these areas aren't for you then. Headingly and Hyde Park's stuff is both concentrated with the majority of streets just residential. Headiny has a couple of main streets with quite a lot of cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, bakeries, a butcher, grocer and supermarkets etc. Hyde Park has fewer but I like the vibe more. Neither can compete at all with the city center for quantity of stuff but the city center can't compete for having an actaul community since its mostly businesses. I picked to stay near Hyde Park for a few reasons:

The Brudenell Social Club: cheap beer and great gigs every night and always packed with students and locals

Hyde Park Picture House: best indie cinema out there. Built in 1914, cheap and friendly and great films with late showing cult films on Saturday night

Two minute walk to Burley Park Station which is five minutes ride to step out into the town

Local Asian supermarkets: super cheap for a lot of stuff and loads more interesting food than city center supermarkets.

But if you want to step out your door into a busy town centre then perhaps you're better off looking in town and by the canal. The center is full of great pubs and places to eat, the market is great and there's a lot of shops etc. not really ever noticed much of a student community there though. Guess they must all be tucked up in tower blocks and cant afford to go out because theyre paying £90 a week ;0
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, me too.

I have obtain the same email. Are you an EU postgraduate student? Which are you top 4 choices that you filled out in the last form?
Reply 50
I'm doing MA Advertising and Marketing. From what I've seen, everything is quite residential indeed, but I heard that there are lots of busses going every few minutes to town so you'd be in a buzzing atmosphere easily.

As Headingley and Hyde Park are mainly packed with students, I'm sure it won't be boring (at least that's what I hope). Heard that there were loads of pubs around and some supermarkets ;-).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I am a EU postgrad. My choices were:
1. St Mark's residences 51 weeks
2. St Mark's residences 41 weeks
3. Leodis
4. North Hill house

Original post by Andreascy
I have obtain the same email. Are you an EU postgraduate student? Which are you top 4 choices that you filled out in the last form?
Yes, I am a EU postgrad. My choices were:
1. St Mark's residences 51 weeks
2. St Mark's residences 41 weeks
3. Leodis
4. North Hill house

Yes my first choice as also St Marks for 51 weeks but i didn't really thought that enrolling for 41 weeks as a second choice will make a difference. My second choice was Broadcasting Tower, only 241 rooms and 100 for postgraduates. Third choice also Leodis and my fourth well... was just a random accommodation.
Reply 53
Original post by Mister Dead

Hey Mister Dead, thanks for the info! I'm a postgrad too looking for a flat. Just a quick question, aren't all those 3 areas a bit too far from the city centre? I assume that's the best place for going out, whether it's clubbing or not! Of course I want to live surrounded by other students (I'm not from the UK and I don't know a living soul in Leeds) so if those are the only student areas I suppose there's no choice :smile:
Reply 54
Is everyone signing a 51 wk contract? I saw a room that's quite nice, but they only have 43 wk contract rooms left... Thanks!
Original post by Artubone
Hey Mister Dead, thanks for the info! I'm a postgrad too looking for a flat. Just a quick question, aren't all those 3 areas a bit too far from the city centre? I assume that's the best place for going out, whether it's clubbing or not! Of course I want to live surrounded by other students (I'm not from the UK and I don't know a living soul in Leeds) so if those are the only student areas I suppose there's no choice :smile:

Depends on where about in those areas you live. The edge of Hyde Park is little more than a 15 minute walk to town, whereas far Headingley might take you closer 40 minutes, but the transport links are very good and there's almost nowhere in those three places you can't get to a bus stop/train within about 5 minutes or so. Tbh i'm a little biased as I love Hyde Park and because I don't really go clubbing anymore the only reason I would go into town is for the restaurants, pubs and bars, and getting back in the evening is really easy.

It does help that my favourite pub, cinema and shops are in Hyde Park!
Original post by wyhu
Is everyone signing a 51 wk contract? I saw a room that's quite nice, but they only have 43 wk contract rooms left... Thanks!

You said that you will do Masters, which means your programme is 12 months long? isn't it? If yes, then its better you to sign 51 week contract :smile:
Postgraduate student here. Just informed that i will be in Leodis E3.21 but i am really not sure if i should accept or not as i need 51 weeks and this is 42 weeks as also some other facts that i have in mind therefore i am also checking if their still good private accommodations or flats available.
Reply 58
Postgraduate student here. Just informed that i will be in Leodis E3.21 but i am really not sure if i should accept or not as i need 51 weeks and this is 42 weeks as also some other facts that i have in mind therefore i am also checking if their still good private accommodations or flats available.

They've got summer accommodation as well, not sure what the details are though.

Andreas, if you are looking for 51 week postgraduate accommodation I suggest you have a look at Pennine House, just drop by and see for yourself. It is in a quiet street in the heart of town with restaurants like Carluccios and Wagamama next door, and your own private gym, cinema room, common room, etc., and has what are regarded as the smartest rooms in Leeds at a good value price. You can see more here: http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/leeds/pennine-house

Good luck with whatever you decide! Leeds is a great city and I am sure you will enjoy studying here a great deal!

Quick Reply

Latest