The Student Room Group

Midwifery work experience

Hey :smile:
I'm hoping to go to university in sept 2015 to study midwifery by doing the access to health course at college this sept.
I've been trying desperately to get some work experience, I'm currently going through the process at a start right centre but that may take another month and I'm concerned that it won't be enough to get me a place due to how competitive the course is!
I've been reading midwifery books, and the midwifery magazine online. But I'm feeling a bit deflated as I feel as though it all won't be enough :frown:

I was wondering if anyone is going through the same thing? Anyone got a place in midwifery and what helped you? Good books to read? Etc

thanks guys xxxx
Original post by Chrissiep
Hey :smile:
I'm hoping to go to university in sept 2015 to study midwifery by doing the access to health course at college this sept.
I've been trying desperately to get some work experience, I'm currently going through the process at a start right centre but that may take another month and I'm concerned that it won't be enough to get me a place due to how competitive the course is!
I've been reading midwifery books, and the midwifery magazine online. But I'm feeling a bit deflated as I feel as though it all won't be enough :frown:

I was wondering if anyone is going through the same thing? Anyone got a place in midwifery and what helped you? Good books to read? Etc

thanks guys xxxx

I'm in the exact same position and worry that everyone will have a lot more experience which will hold me back from being accepted into Uni:frown: Its taken a while but I got though to volunteer on an antenatal class course in my area, I applied through the NHS website, has taken several months, plus I volunteer at a residential care home:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aimeemichelle
I'm in the exact same position and worry that everyone will have a lot more experience which will hold me back from being accepted into Uni:frown: Its taken a while but I got though to volunteer on an antenatal class course in my area, I applied through the NHS website, has taken several months, plus I volunteer at a residential care home:smile:

Which unis are you applying to? I went to an open day at Bournemouth uni a couple of weeks ago and I spoke to a woman that was giving some advice on applications. She said that they really like people who have done some work in care homes! So there we go :smile:
Hopefully worcester, Wolverhampton and Bournemouth but I keep changing my mind about where I want to go:frown: What about yourself?
Reply 4
I was a volunteer for three years on an ante/postnatal ward, I went through the hospital voluntary co-ordinator, it was pretty straight forward but it took a while to sort DBS etc. I found the details on the hospital website.

I also volunteered with Sure Start and did a breastfeeding course through them. x

Quick Reply

Latest